It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
(female)

allballedup HB User
Question itchy thyroidectomy incision

Just had a thyroidectomy due to a large substernal nodule. Healing fine. BUT, I have intense itching on my incision. Doctor used a medical "superglue" on outer stitches. what can i use to calm intense itching on incision? Doctor told me no neosporin. anyone have any suggestions of ways to stop the intense itching and slight burning? with the hot & humid weather we've been having, that just makes it worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: itchy thyroidectomy incision

Are you able to take Benedryl? Of course, I'd ask the doctor but, when I'm afflicted with too many mosquito bites and/or a poison ivy rash, Benedryl helped with the itching.

Cool compresses might help as well.....

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
allballedup (07-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

fallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB User

Just had my right lobe out July 6th. I too have quite a bit of itching the past 2 to 3 days. My doc used steri strips. I have been taking LIQUID benedryl (because it is faster) and also on occasion when it is really bad putting an ice pack on for a few minutes. Seems to work well for me. But then I do not have any oozing, redness or temp (pretty sure no infection).

The Following User Says Thank You to fallin apart For This Useful Post:
allballedup (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
(female)

allballedup HB User

thank you. went for post-op check up and it turns out i am really "sensitive" to the "medical super glue"! as soon as the doctor used the adhesive remover wipes to remove the medical super glue, i had instant relief! now i have normal itching that shows it's healing.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
(female)

allballedup HB User

thank you "fallinapart & sammy64 for your help. thank you. went for post-op check up and it turns out i am really "sensitive" to the "medical super glue"! as soon as the doctor used the adhesive remover wipes to remove the medical super glue, i had instant relief! now i have normal itching that shows it's healing.

Reply Reply