It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Secondary Hypothyroidism? Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie1972 View Post
if you tell him to go to hell appropriately, he will ask for directions!
I have a plaque that says: "TACT - the ability to tell someone to go to hell so they anticipate the voyage"

My mother gave me the plaque as a gift when I took over the family business.

Quote:
My next appointment is August 2nd with Dr. number ... 5 technically.
After 4 toads, #5 was my prince(ss).....hope the same for you!!!

Please keep us posted!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Molly,

The policy here used to be if you were a medical person you could not or should not disclose that. I have gotten a warning before about it. It was explained to me that they wanted the advice to be strictly Peer and not Professional. Just letting you know that. The Rules may have changed. Just a friendly heads up so it does not catch you off guard.

I wanted to share that I saw 5 to 6 Doctors before I found one that I was happy with treatment. #5 was a Wonderful General Surgeon !!! He was older and very experienced....After crying in his office he sent me home with a prescription of Armour and moved me up rapidly on it, said If I was his wife? He would not take my thryoid out, and he told me I had Hashi's and not to worry it would all be okay. My labs were always in normal range and I was loaded with nodules and a goiter. Dr Ford was great and he sadly passed away last year. #6 Icelandic Endo who I adored who has sadly moved back to Iceland. He was brilliant and he agreed with Dr Ford. I miss them both. I go to my Family Doctor now for an US and labs once a year and my Armour Refills. Nodules are suppressed. I feel great !!

I want to thank all on the board Midwest and Others who helped me through that tough time.

I wish you the best of luck. Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #33
(female)

mamaTOa HB User

I and countless others can testify to weeding out all the many clueless doctors, usually endos, ironic, eh? I finally found "Dr. Right" (regular family doctor w/more of a non-traditional approach to medicine) at #5 as well. Such a pain in the arse but don't give up in finding him/her. It 'only' took me about 5 months :-)!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #34
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

This brings me to another question.

What do I take with me to my new doc appointment? Meaning what information? I have my labs, old bbt charts that indicate low body temps, list of symptoms...

What is a good amount of info and how much is too much?? I imagine that depends on the doctor but let's (hope) he is a keeper. What do you all recommend.

Thanks,
Mollie

Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I would bring everything in an organized and easy-to-read fashion....and then use the documents to confirm your suspicions while sharing copies of any that interests the doctor.

For whatever it's worth, I was just reading on the American Academy of Family Physicians site about the treatment of hypothyroidism.

It had this to say: "TSH results have to be interpreted in light of the patient's clinical condition. A low TSH level should not be misinterpreted as hyperthyroidism in the patient with clinical manifestations of hypothyroidism."

Guess the endo skipped right over those family practice guidelines - huh?

Last edited by sammy64; 07-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #36
(male)

Cjayw HB User

I am new to the board and by no means a seasoned expert. My heart goes out to you and all the people on the board trying to put together the puzzle of their health in collaboration with their doctors.

God Bless

The Following User Says Thank You to Cjayw For This Useful Post:
Mollie1972 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #37
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

I have a couple of more questions. I am still trying to educate myself and wrap my brain around the topic of hypothyroidism. One question that came up is related to my mother. With the current discussion regarding my thyroid levels, etc. we have come to realize she has had issues with her thyroid in the past. She was getting scans for nodules (which to the side thanks to a crappy GP) and now she has a myriad of Hypo symptoms (thyroid, MS???). She also has Reynaud's which again previously mentioned crapologist GP told her to live with it basically. Anyway, she is going to her neurologist (who is a keeper doctor- and will go above and beyond her MS stuff). I am thinking she needs to have her thyroid tested. So, the tests she would request are: TSH, free T4, Free T3, and the antibodies? If someone could list out all that she should have I would appreciate it. I am still a little unclear with the antibodies. This way, at the minimum, the right labs are ordered. Also, is there anything with her MS that would affect her labs, etc? She was on Beta Seron for years. Anyway, any insight would be helpful.

I have a question regarding myself. I am getting prepared with labs, etc. to go see the internist/endo doctor who was listed on the top doc web page this coming Thursday. My question is (assuming he is a keeper doctor and can interpret my labs appropriately) what would be an appropriate plan of care as far as medications go? I just want to know what would be a good starting point (if I get there) and what should I expect? I have not much knowledge regarding the medications at this point and what is prescribed for what, etc.

Thanks again, for all the advice and support from everyone. I am totally in the dark about a lot of stuff (other than the symptoms). What is weird I am finding new symptoms the more I think about it... things I have just passed off as a me thing. My hair is always on the bathroom floor, in the drain, my husband pointed this out a while ago. Why is your hair all over the place?? I just was like I dunno ... don't you lose hair as well?? Also, vague aches and pains (nothing to go to a dr about or take ibuprofen) but just achey. Again, he pointed out. You should see a dr. you are always complaining of your shoulders and back,etc. Again, just thought don't you have this as well??? Amazing at how you simply adjust. I now think my body is done adjusting.

Anyway, I am very appreciative of any thoughts or responses.

Mollie

Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

So sorry to hear of your mother's issues! I think you know that, the fact that she's already dealing with autoimmune disease predisposes her to having another one.

Yes, the FreeT4, FreeT3 and TSH tests are the best to evaluate thyroid function.
The antibody tests she'll need are:

TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
TGab (thyroglobulin antibody)
TRab (thyrotropin receptor antibody)

Most doctors start their patients off on some type of levothyroxine (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Unithroid or a generic)....levothyroxine is a synthetic T4 med.

Some doctors (usually "non-endos") prefer desiccated thyroid products such as Armour, Naturethroid, etc. Desiccated thyroid was the first type of thyroid hormone supplement ever invented and is made from porcine thyroid that contains both T4 & T3.

No matter what med you start on, we all have to start slowly. Common levothyroxine starting doses are 25-50mcg and common desiccated thyroid starting doses are 15-30mg.

You are proof positive that hypothyroidism symptoms creep up insidiously. I look forward to celebrating the elimination of them with you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-30-2012), Mollie1972 (07-31-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

Well, I think I may be on the better track if not the right track. I went to see this new internist/endo physician today. My god he actually listened to me and even ... listened to my heart, etc. WOW.

I was able to tell my "hormoan" tale so to speak. Listed out my symptoms, etc. provided copies of my recent labs. He didn't jump onto any bandwagon with any theory thyroid or not and wanted some blood work completed first.

Free T4
TSH
FSH
LH
Prolactin
Ferritin
Iron plus Iron Binding Cap

He did say, he doesn't think it is a Thyroid problem but possibly a pituitary problem (which will affect my thyroid). However, he wants to look further into my hormones from a different angle. He seemed to understand my thyroid hormones are low but wants to further look into why they are low. He was really nice and listened to me. So, I feel like I am in good hands for right now anyway. My iron levels are whacky and everyone is blowing that off too... so he is looking at those as well.

Does this sound like a better plan over an ecocardiogram, sleep study, and a perscription for Orlistat *rolling eyes*?

Mollie

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

What is underconversion?? and do my labs point in that direction? I am must admit I am flipping back and forth as to what to expect from this new doctor. He definitely listened and agreed that something seems wrong... but...

I guess I won't know until the labs come back and he actually tells me what he is thinking. Why can't this be an easy fix?

Mollie

Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here's the deal: our thyroids produce two main hormones - T4 and T3....the available amounts of these hormones are measured by the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests, respectively.

T3 is actually made by a process called "conversion" wherein one iodine molecule is removed from T4, essentially "converting" it to T3.

People who have conversion issues (or are underconverting) will have FreeT3 levels that are proportionately lower in the range than their FreeT4 levels.

The FreeT3 test you had done earlier showed a level that was in a similar place within the range as your FreeT4 level.

It will most likely only be after you start treatment that any conversion issues might become apparent.

I don't know how your new doctor would determine whether or not you have a conversion problem because he's not checking your FreeT3 level.....

Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

No, he isn't. I noticed that. I did provide him with my most recent labs. TSH and Free t4 and free t3 were listed. So, why do two of the three?? I didn't have the opportunity to discuss what labs to run or not run. He just handed me the paper saying we will look at your hormones again in a new light. When I was at the lab counter... I read what tests he ordered. I guess we will see. Thank you for your response. I am feeling like no one will ever figure out what is going on.

We will see what he has to say.

Mollie

Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I am feeling like no one will ever figure out what is going on.
Ummm.....we did.

And, as long as you keep working at it, you will find a doctor that will also figure it out.

You're "on alert" with this one and might want to have a backup plan in the form of an appointment with another doctor.

This is how it goes, unfortunately.

For whatever it's worth, after I realized that I had "dated the wrong guy for too long" with endo #2, I made appointments one month apart with 4 different doctors.

The first doctor was my GP and that was a bust.

The second doctor was endo #3 and that, too, was a bust.

The next appointment was with an internist and I heard what I knew I had to hear.

I cancelled the appointment with the 4th doctor (and the two other doctors I made appointments with after my GP and endo #3 didn't work out).

The internist is still caring for me to this day and I'm feeling awesome.

Please don't give up - it's worth every effort to find Dr. Right.

Last edited by sammy64; 08-02-2012 at 07:38 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Mollie1972 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

Hello,

I have received my labs back and they are different than what was last done within the month. Is it normal to have your numbers jump around within a few weeks? (without meds)

T4,FREE 1.20 ~ 0.70 - 1.48
TSH 1.16 ~ 0.35 - 4.94

If I am doing the math correctly, this would put in the 64% range.

All my other labs including these fall within the "normal range". I haven't heard back from his office so I am not sure what will be said or what will come of this.

Thanks,
Mollie

Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #45
(female)

Mollie1972 HB User

OK... got my results from the doctor.

"Your pituitary and iron studies are normal. You do not need thyroid replacement."

So, this is all in my head?? Do I just go with this? That is all I am hearing... normal... normal ... normal.

Mollie

Reply Reply