It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

harobed HB User
Question Confused!

Hi there everyone I'm a newbie. I hope my post makes sense. I have so much info...so here goes! First of all, I am a 31 y/o Female. I have had the classic symptoms of Hyperthyroidism yet my blood work continues to come back normal. I went to the doctor back in May when I started experiencing these symptoms.
TSH Nov. 2011 - .46 05/18/12- .45 (both on the lower end of normal range)
T4 Free - 1.20 (within normal range)
T3 - 372 I am confused about this one, it was listed on the paper work as Free T3 - but the numbers would be consistent with a Total T3 I think? Could this one be incorrect?
Vit D - 27.5

I went back to the doctor Tuesday because I cannot stand feeling this way and I know there is something wrong.
I gave birth to my son Feb. 2011 (can postpartum hyperT begin this late?) he is 17 mo. old now. My mother had her thyroid removed in her late 20's due to enlargement but I don't know if hers was hyper or hypo (she passed away a few years ago and I never asked her about it). I dunno, I am scared and rambling. I am so afraid that this could be something other than my thyroid. I'd rather it be my thyroid actually, I know that sounds crazy. I also wanted to mention that I have Rheumatoid Arthirits, Epilepsy and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. All are stable with medication except for the PCOS.

My symptoms are as follows:
Major Anxiety (worst part of it)
12 lb weight loss since May
Decrease in appetite (not sure if that is a hyperthyroid thing or not)
Swelling at the base of my neck
Crazy obsessive thinking
Mood swings between anxiety and depression
Trouble concentrating
Swelling around lower left eyelid/excessive tearing
Dizziness
Fatigue/Weakness
Weird transient feeling in arms sort of numb I guess?
Irritability (especially at night and early morning)
Increased body temp - I usually run around 97.5. Now I am 98.6-99.0.
Loose stools (but not frequent, usually 1 a day)
Trouble sleeping - I don't have trouble initally falling asleep, but I wake up all through the night. Almost every hour and then fall back asleep again.
Tremor in both hands
Increase in blood pressure and pulse (especially during my period)

I had an ultrasound and a ct scan this morning. Waiting (very impatiently) for the results. I had a thyroid panel done Tuesday (but this time with the Graves Antibody test). Still haven't heard back from the blood work results from Tuesday either.

Sorry this post is a jumbled mess. I appreciate any feedback! Thank you so much in advance!
-Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Confused!

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

Thyroid status is always determined by looking at the actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT4 and FreeT3.

Just because your results fall within the normal range doesn't mean they are YOUR normal.

To properly evaluate your results, we'd need to see the reference ranges.

For example, a FreeT4 level of 1.2 with a range of .8 - 1.8 would be considered a low (hypothyroid) level while the same level with a range of .61-1.12 would be considered hyper.

FreeT3 will look something like "tri-iodothyronine, free, serum" on a lab report so, please check the phrasing on your report and clarify just what was tested....and again, please supply the ranges.

Many symptoms of hyper and hypo overlap so, it's important to evaluate your labs properly.

Without a doubt, please post the actual results for the Graves' antibody test you had done (again, "normal" doesn't cut it). I hope the actual antibody test was the TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) test since many doctors seem to think a TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody) test is sufficient but it isn't.

We'll look forward to hearing from you again!

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
harobed (07-20-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, graves disease, hyperthyroid, postpartum thyroiditis