It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
(male)

mrB HB User
Re: Problems adding T3 to Synthroid?

I see now. But what if my doc doesn't go along with more T4? Should I add a little natural dessicated?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Desiccated thyroid is made from porcine thyroid that contains a larger proportion of T3 than T4 compared to human thyroid.

Your labs right now do not indicate the need for *any* T3.

Rather than change your meds, you might want to consider changing doctors if you can't get the dose increase you need.

Please forgive me if this is a repeat but, I see no reason why you can't share your symptoms with your doctor and point out that your FreeT4 level has room to increase and still be within the normal range. This worked for me a few times when I wanted a dose increase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
(male)

mrB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Desiccated thyroid is made from porcine thyroid that contains a larger proportion of T3 than T4 compared to human thyroid.

Your labs right now do not indicate the need for *any* T3.

Rather than change your meds, you might want to consider changing doctors if you can't get the dose increase you need.

Please forgive me if this is a repeat but, I see no reason why you can't share your symptoms with your doctor and point out that your FreeT4 level has room to increase and still be within the normal range. This worked for me a few times when I wanted a dose increase.
I'll consider that for sure. After coming off 19 mcg of T3 I feel a lot better, not weak and exhausted. My experience with it makes me think my adrenal functioning isn't sufficient, and this was confirmed by my saliva cortisol test. The CT3M method was designed to accomodate that, but it's a new method and likely I would need adrenal support prior to any T3 taken. I recall you saying in another thread that adrenals should be corrected before or during thyroid treatment..

Would you say that is necessary here for the T4 to work right too? I have a plan to support them without cortisol steroids.

---

Also, if I couldn't get a doc to do an increase, I would only add a little NDT on top of the synthroid I'm taking. If I added little by little and got up to a half grain for instance, that would be 9 mcg of T3 to 112 T4. Doesn't that more closely resemble the human composition of thyroid output?

Last edited by mrB; 07-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

It's my understanding that adrenal issues need to be treated before or during treatment for hypothyroidism.

People who have adrenal issues report hyper symptoms when trying to titrate up on their thyroid hormone replacement doses.

At least from a thyroid standpoint, your body seems to be responding just fine to meds.

Yes, the thyroid usually produces 100mcg T4 and 10mcg T3. That doesn't mean you need to take that amount. Your thyroid and body are obviously converting fine so, you do not need T3 (right now).

I guess you could try adding NDT and see what happens but, I strongly recommend you do it under doctor's supervision. Just as you had issues with T3, you could have them with NDT.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
(male)

mrB HB User

Quote:
It's my understanding that adrenal issues need to be treated before or during treatment for hypothyroidism.

People who have adrenal issues report hyper symptoms when trying to titrate up on their thyroid hormone replacement doses.

At least from a thyroid standpoint, your body seems to be responding just fine to meds.

Yes, the thyroid usually produces 100mcg T4 and 10mcg T3. That doesn't mean you need to take that amount. Your thyroid and body are obviously converting fine so, you do not need T3 (right now).

I guess you could try adding NDT and see what happens but, I strongly recommend you do it under doctor's supervision. Just as you had issues with T3, you could have them with NDT.
Ok last question for now, thanks for your responses. After 5 months of being on synthroid, I've put on a good 10 lbs. No changes in diet or anything, and I'm a hard gainer when it comes to weight (have floated around 165 for awhile) and have always been thin.

Is that likely because the dose I'm on has shut down my own production and I'm running on possibly less hormones than I started with, making me more hypothyroid? Is that a clue I should tell my doc why it should be raised?

Last edited by mrB; 07-22-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some people report weight gain during the meds titration process. There's an entire biochemical explanation as to why this happens but, suffice it to say that the body gets confused when new amounts of thyroid hormone are being introduced and, in its efforts to restore homeostasis, weight gain happens. This is the same reason we have other symptoms of hypothyroidism during the meds titration process.

I cannot emphasize enough the difference between inappropriate levels and optimal levels. Either you have levels that are optimal for you or you don't. If you don't, you will have symptoms/issues.

Since your TSH was so low at last check, it's entirely possible that your body recognized the addition of thyroid hormone and dialed down it's production of TSH thus, making you more hypo.

Knowing your labs before starting meds would tell you whether or not this is the case.

I don't know what type of relationship you have with your doctor and/or how big his/her ego is. Some doctors don't like it when the patient "gets technical".

The reality of the situation is that your FreeT4 level is probably too low for your body's needs.

A simple way to express this to a doctor is to list all the symptoms you are still dealing with and make the obvious statement that your FreeT4 level has room to increase and still be within the normal range.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
(male)

mrB HB User

Great.. but I have this feeling that my doc is closed minded on the issue. When I first requested comprehensive labs at the time my TSH was about to be tested, he insisted that only TSH would be tested before anything else. Also, on the test orders I have after hypothyroidism was diagnosed and I was advised to wait 2 months after being on synthroid, the orders say "TSH w/ Reflex to T4". I looked that up and see that it means T4 is only tested if TSH is out of range, which means he not only diagnoses but doses by TSH. The labwork I showed from a month ago I got done through a chiropractor, but I don't know how my doc will judge based on separate labwork. In any case I made an appointment for the 31st.

But I feel likely I'll need another doc if I want to stick with synthroid. How did you find your good doc? Trial and error? I have too little time for that at the moment; this will be my last year in college and I have to step up with both grades and getting an internship. If I can't find a receptive doctor I don't think I'll have a choice but to add dessicated thyroid myself.

Last edited by mrB; 07-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

I understand where you're coming from.

These are the only suggestions I have to offer re finding a thyroid-savvy doctor:

1. networking
2. check the Top Thyroid Doctors site for a listing in your area
3. ask local pharmacists (not the counter help) for names of doctors that prescribe either Armour or Cytomel. Doctors that Rx either of these tend to be more thyroid-savvy
4. contact the Broda Barnes Foundation and pay ~$18 to get an information packet that includes a list of doctors in your state who follow Dr. Barnes' ideology (Dr. Barnes was the author of "Hypothyroidism - An Unsuspected Illness" and was lightyears ahead of his time)
5. find a doctor that prescribes bioidentical hormones either by contacting compounding pharmacies (they are likely to have names of doctors that prescribe Armour which usually means they're more thyroid-savvy) and checking websites

Idea #1 worked for me....the other ideas have worked for others. I hope one works for you.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-23-2012 at 07:42 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
mrB (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
(male)

mrB HB User

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from.

These are the only suggestions I have to offer re finding a thyroid-savvy doctor:

1. networking
2. check the Top Thyroid Doctors site for a listing in your area
3. ask local pharmacists (not the counter help) for names of doctors that prescribe either Armour or Cytomel. Doctors that Rx either of these tend to be more thyroid-savvy
4. contact the Broda Barnes Foundation and pay ~$18 to get an information packet that includes a list of doctors in your state who follow Dr. Barnes' ideology (Dr. Barnes was the author of "Hypothyroidism - An Unsuspected Illness" and was lightyears ahead of his time)
5. find a doctor that prescribes bioidentical hormones either by contacting compounding pharmacies (they are likely to have names of doctors that prescribe Armour which usually means they're more thyroid-savvy) and checking websites

Idea #1 worked for me....the other ideas have worked for others. I hope one works for you.
Sammy, thanks a bunch for all your help. I'll try these ideas. I'm sure I may have questions for you later but so far you've been a big help!

Reply Reply