HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   What's going on? Hashimoto's? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/910430-whats-going-hashimotos.html)

momo2020 07-19-2012 04:40 PM

What's going on? Hashimoto's?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what's going on. I have been referred to an Endo by my doctor mostly because my TPO ab was high.

My labs are as follows:

TSH 2.7 Normal (.5 - 5.0)
T4 12.5 High (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 Uptake 21 Low (24 - 39)
Free T4 2.8 Normal ( 1.2 - 5.0)
TPO Ab 515 High (0 - 34)
Antithyoglob Ab < 20 Normal (0- 40)

I have always had trouble losing weight and have always been very fatigued with stiff joints. I also have struggled with anxiety my whole life.

Lately I feel like things have gotten worse. My joints have become stiffer than usual and I have lost a lot of the strength in my hands. I have been craving salt and have had the urge to urinate often (tested negative for uti both instances this occurred, not pregnant). My hair and skin have become dry, I've never had dry skin before until recently. I have had issues concentrating and have been running a lot of low grade fevers with more than usual lack of energy and fatigue.

Does anyone know if this could be hashi's? And if there is a natural way for me to manage some of these symptoms until I get the chance to see an endo?

FinnMaid 07-20-2012 10:46 AM

Re: What's going on? Hashimoto's?

Hello :wave: Welcome to Thyroid Board :)
Unfortunately you had a bad set of tests taken but your TSH a bit on the high side would suggest that you're on the hypothyroid side. Ask to have FreeT4 tested and FreeT3 too (if possible). Based on that "freeT4" result and the range that's really "free thyroxine index" - a useless estimate, "plain" ie. total T4 gives you an inaccurate result (because it also measures the amount of hormone that's "out of use") and your T3 uptake level really has nothing to do with actual T3 levels. Endos often aren't the greatest in treating hypoT - I hope you've found a good one :)

sammy64 07-20-2012 10:54 AM

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

To add to what FinnMaid said, your high TPOab's indicate that you have Hashi's, the most common cause of hypothyroidism.

Your symptoms could very well be due to this.

I hope the endo will run the tests FinnMaid mentioned since they are the only tests to properly evaluate thyroid function.

Please do not accept "normal" as the proper interpretation of the results. Healthy people have certain "normal" levels within the ranges of normal.

You can post your results here for interpretation.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

momo2020 07-20-2012 04:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure that I get those tests when I go in. My primary care recommended this endo, so I'm hoping he's good at treating this. If endo's aren't always the best at treating thyroid are there other types of doctors you would recommend I look into seeing?

I also had a question about Hashimoto's. How serious is it?

momo2020 07-20-2012 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure that I get those tests when I go in. My primary care recommended this endo, so I'm hoping he's good at treating this. If endo's aren't always the best at treating thyroid are there other types of doctors you would recommend I look into seeing?

I also had a question about Hashimoto's. How serious is it? I dunno what I'm in for. My doctor just said to see an endo and didn't explain anything.

sammy64 07-20-2012 04:17 PM

It's possible the endo will work out - it's just not that likely.

Even though endos should be proficient with thyroid care, it seems that most of them are too busy caring for diabetics to develop any experience in thyroid care nor stay current with treatment protocol.

If the endo doesn't test your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels, that's enough to tell you to move on.

"Whole-body" doctors such as DO's, internists or alternative MD's tend to be better with thyroid care. Let's see what happens with the endo and, if you need to find another doctor, we have a few ideas to offer that will hopefully expedite the process.

Here's some basic info about Hashi's

http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/Hashimoto/

Unfortunately, the article isn't up-to-date with appropriate blood tests and the types of meds people take but, at least you'll get a general idea.

It's not serious as long as you get the proper care. If you're not medicated properly, you'd be at risk for various health issues and, of course, suffer with symptoms like you have and possibly more.

momo2020 07-23-2012 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the help. My appointment is at the end of next month, I'm hoping the doc is familiar with thyroid, but thank you for providing me with alternatives :)

I'm really hoping to get some help soon as I feel like this is starting to affect me on a day to day.