It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

25loser HB User
Hypothyroidism

47 yr male. I was diagnosed back in Oct of 2011. Started taking Levothyroxine 50mcg. Went from over 5 down to 2.5. My wife does not believe that my Hypothyroidism could have made me so out of control emotionally. She wanted to leave me in May but I was just diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma Brain Tumor the size of a Golf Ball. She still wants to leave but MIGHT wait to see if I'm different after surgery. The surgery will not fix Thyroid. I can't get into Endo Doc in Montana until Sept. My Tumor surgery is Aug 7 in Seattle.

Help! I'm not a mean person and I in fact work as a Youth Case Manager for at risk kids. I have moments of big time memory loss or fog. I can't do my PC work anymore. I love my wife of 25 years and want to stay married. We have 3 kids! I also think she is havnig Menopause type sysmptoms. 45 but still has monthly Mr. Friendly visits, eh. She shows little to know emotion at times and is as grouchy as a Bear. Any body out there with some answers?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

rpwalker HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism

If your wife is willing to go to marriage counseling maybe there you guys can address all possible avenues leading to reconciliation including dealing with long term illness. I know I have driven my family crazy at times but everyone has come to recognize the symptoms when my thyroid is off, sometimes before I do and allow me a little more space and alot more patients when the brain fog kicks in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
(male)

25loser HB User

Thank you for the info. I don't think this will be a fun time in my life. 25 years of many good memories that may be tarnished by divorce. Laying in the hospital bed is not going to easy.

I can't wait to the Endocronologist in September. I'm draging my wife to that appointment. I honestly think she suffers from Hormone issues like her entire female side of the family.

Last edited by 25loser; 07-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

So sorry to hear of your struggles!

The Journal of Family Practice published an article called "Identifying hypothyroidism's psychiatric presentations".....you might want to read it and share it with your wife.

It's not until we become stable at our optimal levels before symptoms dissipate. I hope she will develop a better understanding of your situation.

And, if her side of the family does indeed have hormonal issues, maybe you could gently suggest that she get her thyroid function checked. Just as you are dealing with mental function issues as a result of your hypothyroidism, she could be dealing with them as well as emotional issues related to thyroid disease.

Are the surgeons aware of your hypothyroidism? Has your meds dose been increased since you started? I would think you'd be on a much higher dose now....

Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
(male)

25loser HB User

I live in North East Montana and the health care is limited up here. I have been seeing a Nurse Practitioner for my Thyroid issues. She tries the best she can but my appointment with an actual Endocrinologist won't be until September. Shortage of them in Montana? All my files were sent to Harborview but my surgeon, Dr. Sakher said, He is a Neurosurgeon and will not be addressing anything but the Acoustic Neuroma Tumor. Makes sense. Maybe I can sneak an appointment in with an Endo Doctor while I'm there? Just had a blood draw for the Thyroid yesterday. 2.5 was last but I still don't feel right. Getting better so maybe the damn AN Tumor is creating more issues?

Had a good talk with my wife yesterday. She is so stubborn, just like her late dad! Was to proud or scared to go see a doctor and died from Colon Cancer. My wife is adapting her father's behaviors and that is flat out scarry!

I even went to the clinic yesterday to try and find out about getting my wife a Hormone/Thyroid test but the PAC was gone till next week. My wife screamed at me that she was not going to do that. What is that all about??? She has lost it and does not see it. Her teaching career is slowy slipping away from her anger and she does not see this. I'm trying hard to help her, even if we do get divorced. I love her and I can take the pain...

Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I suspect you're referring to TSH when you mention 2.5.

Please know that people who are optimally medicated on levothyroxine will have TSH 1.0 or lower.

Even better, their caregivers monitor the actual FreeT4 and FreeT3 thyroid hormone levels in addition to pituitary hormone TSH.

I suggest you speak with the NP and ask her to increase your dose. It sounds like your dose should have been increased a long time ago.

It usually takes many dose increases to optimize levels.

Endos are often the worst at treating thyroid disease so, if you can work with your NP and get the proper care, there's no need to wait for a needed dose adjustment.

I'm sorry about the issues you're having with your wife. Marital Counseling might prove to be of some help.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

A passenger in a disabled plane must put on his oxygen mask to save himself before he can attempt to help others, so let's talk about fixing you first.

Fifty mcgs is the lowest therapeutic dose of levoT. It's very rarely enough for an adult male. Your TSH of 2.5 is showing that it's probably not enough for you, either. It's better to dose according to the free levels of T4 and T3, but we can tell by TSH that high that your dose is too low. Until you can see the endo [which is no guarantee of optimal treatment, I'll warn you], ask the NP if you may have a small dose increase to try and get your TSH close to 1. That would be the area where most healthy people's TSH lies, and it's nowhere near the hyperT danger zone for anyone. An increase of 25 mcgs may do you a lot of good.

Get your mental state to a more healthy place. You may then see better what you can do to encourage your wife to get hers there. May I suggest you try to abandon your fatalistic outlook on divorce? The power of negative thinking is probably stronger than is the power of positive thinking.

There's a shortage of endos all over the country, and waiting lists are usually long everywhere. It's not just Montana.

Wishing you the best.

Edit to add:
Looks like Sammy snuck in while I was typing. We often echo each other, and it looks like it's happened again.

I also wanted to suggest you try switching your levoT to a name brand product like Synthroid or Unithroid. Different brands have the capacity to work very differently in various patients, so it's worth a try... But I think an increase is still needed.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-20-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Reply Reply