It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Subacute thyroiditis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjranger View Post
Seriously i have studied this matter for years and i still don't why these episodes keep occurring.
Those TSI antibodies are making me wonder if you are dealing with Hashitoxicosis which I will explain as soon as you clarify something I've been asking you about.

Quote:
I feel going on synthroid would only increase my thyroid levels making me hyper. From reading your post i should still be continuing on it, yet when i started at 12mg i myself went off it after my blood work cause i just never slept and i had hear palpitations. When i finally got the call i was pleased that it just wasn't anxiety causing those issues.
As I mentioned earlier, seeing your labs after starting Synthroid will be most telling. What your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels were doing at the time will tell all.

You see, when people are hypo and start meds (especially a "non-dose" such as you were started on), their hypothyroidism can actually worsen - both with symptoms and with labs.

Palps can be either hyper or hypo.

If you could describe your sleep issues that would help clarify the situation. Were you unable to fall asleep or did you wake during the night (possibly multiple times) and then unable to fall back asleep? (this could be accompanied by anxiety or not).

Filling in these blanks will help me help you.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
(male)

bjjranger HB User

I called in today to get all my records, im going to shop for a new thyroid doctor now. Once i get those reports i will repost

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-23-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Hashitoxicosis
As soon as I saw those TSI results along with your history, this is what I was thinking. I didn't want to suggest it without clarifying a few things. The story you linked is similar to others I've read of people with Hashitoxicosis. So sorry it sounds like your story.

I will tell you this much, radioactive ablation of the thyroid is NOT the way to go.

The RAI treatment itself causes a flood of thyroid hormones to be released. This causes a hyperthyroid condition - you already know what that feels like.

It also causes a flood of antibodies to be released. Well, antibodies are what got you sick in the first place.

Even though the nuclear medicine people try to calculate a RAI dose high enough to destroy the thyroid quickly, thyroid hormone is still thrown off as the thyroid dies - you know what that means.

More antibodies are produced as this happens so I'm sure you can figure things out.

For some people, the thyroid dies off as quickly as three months. For others it's much longer. Some people have had to have multiple treatments - especially those with dense thyroids. I'm even aware of others opting for as many as 3 treatments and eventually needing surgery.

We're talking about a lot of needless suffering.

Another downfall of increased antibody production is the increased chances of developing TED (thyroid eye disease). Since the antibodies no longer have the thyroid to attack, their other "favorite spots" are the eyes....and the skin in front of the shins, causing pretibial myexdema.

Throw in the fact that a large study showed an increased risk of cancer and cardiac mortality in post-RAI patients should be enough to sway most people away from the treatment except those with thyroid cancer.

Surgery is an option but, you would obviously be dealing with the risks and after-effects of surgery - including the need for thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of your life.

Block and Replace Therapy is the appropriate treatment for those wanting to try meds.

Basically, the patient takes a small dose of anti-thyroid drug (usually 5mg Tapazole/methimazole or 50mg PTU) along with whatever dose of thyroid hormone replacement is necessary to prevent hypothyroidism.

ATD's have immunosuppressive effects - they can lower antibody levels and that is why someone with Hashitoxicosis would take them.

Eventually, the TSI will lower and no longer affect the patient but, he/she would most likely be hypothyroid for the rest of his/her life and need to take some thyroid hormone replacement.

Without a doubt, it looks like you should see another doctor.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
(male)

bjjranger HB User

in 2006 i started to experince visual disturbances, causing me to have blurry vision for the first time. I started having static take place and it seem like things were like a screen that lost it's channel. My nerologist doing blood work on me for a few months found my thyroid went hyper during that peroid of time in 2006. So i was sent over to my endo and by then i was hypo.

Also i have started the last year and a half developing excema and as of recently of 6 months vilitgo. Unfortunatly it's on my face now and on my right hand. Cortizone is being used everyday but immune suppressants are being talked about next time i meet with my dermotologist.

I'm torn on what comes next I have been fighting for far too long and i feel i will be fighting even longer.

I'm so lost for words now, that i really don't know or what to do next.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I'm so lost for words now, that i really don't know or what to do next.
Take as many breaths as you need to center yourself - no matter how long it takes.

You have new information to process and I'm sure the answer will come to you.

I'm sorry to hear about your eye issues - it's hard to say if TSI are to blame but, they could be.

And, I'm also sorry to hear about your skin issues. I hope you get some answers soon.

No matter what, we're here to help you with your thyroid stuff.

Hang in.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
(male)

bjjranger HB User

Thanks Sammy,

Well like always i'll truck along till i collapse again and play this game over and over again.

Mean while i'll look for a new Dr and see if anyone around here knows anything more then my doctor.

So what are things i should be tested for now...so i have some ammunition when i visit my family physician?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm hoping that, now that you have new information, you (and possibly your wife) can rally for your proper care.

It makes sense to get comprehensive thyroid bloodwork done which includes...

for thyroid function:

FreeT4
FreeT3
TSH

to determine antibody status:

TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
TGab (thyroglobulin antibody)
TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin)

Compiling a symptoms journal as it related to your labs might help a doctor understand your history better.

The concepts behind BRT (Block and Replace Therapy) are pretty basic and a doctor that can think logically could be your best asset.

You might be surprised at just how much help your family doctor might be when you share a complete package of information with him/her.

Best of luck to you moving forward - please keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-23-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
(male)

bjjranger HB User

Hello everyone,

Just a little update.

Thyroid blood work came out in the normal range for Ft4 & TSH (9/20/2012)
Ultra Sound came back negative. 10/1/2012

Now i'm doing more blood work this week including all the antibodies and will be seeing the new endo again next month. The guy has a 3 month waiting period...

I'll update after my next visit.

Last edited by bjjranger; 10-07-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Reply Reply