It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

blueskies44 HB User
Do I really have Hypothyroidism?

So, my doctor tested me for Free T3/T4, TPO, and TSH levels. Now she wants me to go in for a thyroid ultrasound. Are they really that off? She told me my TPO & TSH were elevated. Additionally, my cholesterol was high, which I read could be a sign of hypothyroidism?

Free T3: 3.41 (ref. 1.50-4.10)
Free T4: 1.04 (ref. 0.80-1.90)
Anti-TPO: 42.3 (ref. 0.0-35.0)
TSH: 3.3960 (ref. 0.4000-4.0000)

Now, my mother nearly died of hypothyroidism when she was my age (early to mid 20s), but her's was WAYYY off and had basically stopped working entirely.

Is it possible I have hypothyroidism, or is my doctor just being extra-careful?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Do I really have Hypothyroidism?

Since your TSH is in upper normal range, and TPO antibodies are elevated, I would say you are borderline hypo now and it will become worse as time goes on. Whether to treat or not, I would say depends on how you feel. If you are more tired than usual, gaining weight, depressed, etc., a low dose of thyroid could help you feel better. I think you will end up on it eventually. As to the US, I would do it if thyroid is enlarged or nodular, but if gland is normal size with no lumps, I don't think it is necessary, but your Dr may just want a baseline for comparison later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Elevated cholesterol can be a manifestation of hypothyroidism.

Without a doubt, your thyroid function tests indicate hypothyroidism.

Thyroid status is always confirmed by looking at the actual thyroid hormone levels: FreeT4 and FreeT3.

Thyroid textbooks confirm that healthy people have FreeT4 levels near the high end of the range and FreeT3 levels in the upper third/upper quarter of the range.

Neither of your levels meets this criteria.

Since elevated cholesterol is not good, I think you should consider starting treatment now.

I know many people would be counting their blessing if they had your doctor. So many struggle for years, suffering with symptoms and conditions they wouldn't have had if they were properly diagnosed/treated.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

PS I hope you'll visit on here throughout your journey since there are nuances to thyroid treatment that only those who live with thyroid disease can understand.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-24-2012 at 07:15 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
blueskies44 (07-26-2012), LPD (07-24-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Thank you both for the replies I do have one more question though, is it possible hypothyroidism could be affecting my Vitamin D levels too? For some reason that test took longer & I just got the results, and they're only 19.2 ng/mL. My doctor said they should be over 32 at minimum.

Just curious because this was the only other thing to come back abnormal besides my thyroid & cholesterol (and she tested a ridiculous # of things!).

Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Alright, I looked around a bit and did see that Vitamin D appears to be inter-related to Thyroid issues....now I'm just wondering if I should start the vitamin D regimine they told me to start, or wait till I get the results of my thyroid ultrasound & then if they don't say anything, ask to be treated for hypothyroidism first? Will fixing my thyroid issues fix my Vitamin D issues without taking a supplement?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Hypothyroidism can cause nutrient deficiencies due to malabsorption issues.

Correcting your hypothyroidism might not do anything for your Vit D deficiency.

The Vitamin D Council recommends a level of 80 for those of us with autoimmune disease (most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune).

I suggest you start supplementing now - it could very well help with any fatigue/muscles aches you might have.

I hope you were told to take Vit D3 which is available over the counter.

For whatever reason, it seems that some doctors like to prescribe large units of Vit D2 that isn't properly absorbed.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-27-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Hypothyroidism can cause nutrient deficiencies due to malabsorption issues.

Correcting your hypothyroidism might not do anything for your Vit D deficiency.

The Vitamin D Council recommends a level of 80 for those of us with autoimmune disease (most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune).

I suggest you start supplementing now - it could very well help with any fatigue/muscles aches you might have.

I hope you were told to take Vit D3 which is available over the counter.

For whatever reason, it seems that some doctors like to prescribe large units of Vit D2 that isn't properly absorbed.
Thanks again! I guess I'll start the vitamin D regimin, and see how I do. The vitamin D actually makes a lot of sense because i get pain all the time and didnt know why. Odd my calcium is normal'though... And i'm getting my ultrasound today, so we'll see how that goes :-)

Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Hmm, so they said my thyroid ultrasound results were "normal"....Does that mean I don't have hypothyroidism?

They're redoing my blood tests August 6th.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
(female)

Daisy1012 HB User

I would say you probably have it. My doctor always tells me that if my TSH/T3/T4 levels are high then you have it. My TSH was 4.44 this last time i went to the DR. Of course they are trying to be careful to make sure your levels stay within the limits. to me your numbers aren't that high though. Get a second opinion if you want.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies44 View Post
Hmm, so they said my thyroid ultrasound results were "normal"....Does that mean I don't have hypothyroidism?
No, it doesn't. Ultrasound is sort of like a photograph of the physical condition of the gland. "Normal" in your case means there's no enlargement of the gland (goiter) or any nodules that might be suspicious for cancer. An ultrasound exam cannot determine whether the gland is making adequate hormones or not. That's what the blood tests are for.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Thanks Daisy and Midwest

I'm hoping my doctor decides treatment is the right course of action. I've been dealing with many symptoms of hypothyroidism since 6th grade but my previous doctors always said my levels were 'normal' and I never got anywhere. Basically they chalked my fatigue up to 'changing hormones/teenager' and ignored all my other symptoms like rapid weight gain, cold all the time (previously I had always been too hot all my life), brittle nails, among others.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Well, the results of my second blood test came back, and my TSH is 4.378. She didn't tell me the FT3 or FT4. They're calling in a prescription for 50mcg of synthroid. But she said she's calling for brand name and not to switch between generic and brand??? I don't know why.

Also, I don't know if unrelated, but my insulin came back border lined high at 30 (normal is 2-27) though my sugar is fine she said. I was looking around and this doesn't sound good either

Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Congrats on getting the meds you obviously need!

The reason you don't want to switch between any brand (generic or, say, Levoxyl instead of Synthroid) is due to the fact that each manufacturer's product can work a little differently.

Yes, each preparation has the same amount of active ingredient - T4 thyroid hormone - but, each manufacturer uses different fillers that can cause different levels of absorption. Different levels of absorption can mean different levels of effectiveness.

This doesn't work for any health condition that requires the maintenance of certain blood levels.

Your elevated insulin level may/may not be related to your hypoT.....you'll know it if is after your thyroid hormone levels are optimized (that usually takes 6 months and, most often, closer to a year).

Hope you'll check in as you move forward in your journey - the meds titration process affects each of us differently but, follows a similar course.

Reply Reply