It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
(female)

maglib HB User
Vitamin D and thyroid nodules? Why would my levels be low?

I have hypothyroidism at least I was told this. I have 2 small nodules on my thyroid. I was on 50mcg of synthroid daily and stopped taking the meds after 2 years as I didn't find they helped anything and I continued to gain weight, experience syncopey, blurred vision, auras. I keep gaining weight. I stopped meds about 2 months ago and my levels in my blood work were okay and nothing has changed that I can feel.

Only issue in my blood work was vitamin D levels being low. Which doesn't make any sense.

I'm outside 2-3 hours on average daily. I don't use sunblock unless it's really hot and I'm actually usually working with plants and under no screening. I drink 3 glasses of 1% milk daily (sometimes only 2). I eat a healthy diet but my vitamin D levels are low.

I can't seem to lose weight although I work out 3x a week and walk at least 2 miles daily (in the mall if it's raining). I keep gaining and the synthroid they claimed would stop that but it didn't. I also get dizzy, am tired and often confused. Latest symptom is I get fuzzy vision that just goes away and also sometimes an aura in my vision. I see an endo and no help. I've seen a neuro and after tons of tests all they see is too mutch white matter and my brain is older than my age (45). He just prescribed vitamins COQ10, B and wants me to get a spinal tap which I don't like the idea of at all. He agrees my memory loss is there but no conclusive reasons. He basically sent me on my way after telling me take more vitamins....

I just don't like taking supplements and can't understand why my body isn't getting the D. I realize it may be the cause of some of my symptoms now although the endo or primary should have told me this.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Vitamin D and thyroid nodules? Why would my levels be low?

Nutrient deficiencies are common in hypothyroidism, some of them due to malabsorption issues.

All of the issues you've described can be caused by hypothyroidism.

Please know that 50mcg is rarely a therapeutic dose.

I suspect your doctor was not evaluating your thyroid labs properly (many don't) and you didn't receive the dose increases you should have.

If you have some lab history from the time you were on meds, we can show you how to interpret it and confirm whether or not your care was appropriate.

You'll need to post the reference ranges for the FreeT4 and FreeT3 results since different labs use different ranges and your results can only be properly interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

Reply Reply