It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User
Re: New labs, 6 weeks after adding Cytomel. Erg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
IMHO, if you're feeling like crap
Ha, there's an understatement!

Quote:
and have had no problems with your meds this far you could try bumping both (but I do think your FT3 is in greater trouble so if you choose to increase just the other then I think it should be Cytomel, and I have a feeling it could be bumped by more than 2.5 mcgs - 5 mcgs perhaps?). I hope your doc agrees with the dose increase
Thank you FinnMaid, I agree. I think (apparently, not what the Endo thinks) I need a bump in both, but especially the T3. Is it common to increase both doses at the same time, or do they usually prefer to check one at a time?

Lin

Last edited by LPD; 07-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
I know that some doctors will increase levo by 25mcg if the FreeT4 level is below mid-range.

And, just as FinnMaid suggested, a 5mcg Cytomel dose increase makes sense (that's a common dose increase size for people already taking doses similar to what you've been taking)
Thank you Sammy. I sure hope I can convince him that I'm a big 'ole sloppy mess (to put it politely!) and he'll agree to a 5mcg increase. Eeks, cutting those 25mcg pills into 17.5 is gonna be tricky and messy!

Quote:
Hope you're able to get the doctor to agree!

No matter what, eliminating coffee with your levo should help....hopefully, a lot.
Ever since my blood test on Monday, I've been taking the Levo in the middle of the night, with water. (at least two hours before my morning coffee fix!) But, as of yet .... I really haven't noticed any difference. (soon, I hope!)

Lin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPD View Post
Is it common to increase both doses at the same time, or do they usually prefer to check one at a time?
I think usually they're increased one at a time (as labs are often imbalanced when titrating the dose, increasing one can have some effect on the other and you'll just have to try it out to see what works best for you).

Maybe you could increase the T3 dose by 6.25 - it's not that much more than 5 and clearly 12.5 hasn't done much for you.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Maybe you could increase the T3 dose by 6.25 - it's not that much more than 5 and clearly 12.5 hasn't done much for you.
{{{FinnMaid}}} I don't know what I'd ever do without you, and all the (what I like to call) smart people here!

I was thinking .... (with my very minimal brain function!) that if I can actually speak with my elusive "Dr. Houdini" on Monday morning, I'd ask for a new script of 5mcg Cytomel tabs. (?) That way, I could up my current 12.5mcg (which will be gone by then) to 15 (3 pills) or 20mcgs (4 pills) ??? Does that sound like a good idea, rather than chopping the 25mcg's into itty-bitty little pieces?

Lin

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
I was thinking .... (with my very minimal brain function!) that if I can actually speak with my elusive "Dr. Houdini" on Monday morning, I'd ask for a new script of 5mcg Cytomel tabs.
Having a prescription for 5 mcg pills would be great, it would be so much easier to fine tune the dose (over here we can only dream about 5 mcg pills, the only T3 product we have comes in 20 mcg pills and cutting it in 4 is challenging - let alone keeping track of those tiny crumbs So much easier to "choose" 10, 20 or 30 mcgs and fine tune with T4 ). It is quite possible you'll eventually end up on 25 or 30 mcgs.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-28-2012 at 11:55 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User

oooouuuummmm .... in with the good air, out with the bad .... ooouuummm

Well ... the doctor finally returned my call. (from last Wednesday) I think we need a "bite your lip" icon! He started "educating" me on the "gold standard" thyroid test - the TSH, and mine is perfect. Ahem. (I think my lips are bleeding!)

So, long story short .... he finally agreed to up my Cytomel to 25mcg's daily, and my Levo' to 75mcg's daily. (up from 12.5 and 50) He wants to see me in two months. Thank goodness I have an appointment with a new (hopefully thyroid savvy) Doc August 20th.

Thoughts, ideas, advice?

ooouuummm .......

Lin

The following user gives a hug of support to LPD:
FinnMaid (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Thoughts, ideas, advice?
I'm amazed that a "stuck-on-TSH" doctor agreed to the dose increases but, glad you got them. You must have been very convincing.

I'm glad you'll be meeting another doctor - backup plans are good.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
Facilitator
(female)

You just may teach this doc a lesson when you go and see him after awhile and (hopefully) as "a new person"

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-30-2012 at 11:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User

Thank you soooo much Sammy & FinnMaid. {{{ big hugs }}}

I honestly don't know if I was "convincing", or (hopefully) this young-ish Endo is just willing to work with me! (gotta give the newbies a chance, eh?)

May I ask if you think I need to slowly up both doses? From your earlier fabulous advice, I started very slowly with the Cytomel. (it took about 2 weeks to get to the full dose) But I've never changed the Levo in the past 15-ish years.

I'm-a-thinkin' I could do the full 75mcg's Levo (in the early morning, long before my coffee fix!) tomorrow morning, and maybe start with 18.75mcgs (3/4ths) of the Cytomel????

Believe me ... I trust you waaaay more than the Endo!

Lin

Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I'm-a-thinkin' I could do the full 75mcg's Levo (in the early morning, long before my coffee fix!) tomorrow morning, and maybe start with 18.75mcgs (3/4ths) of the Cytomel????
Sounds like a plan (if it starts to feel a bit too much at one go maybe you could try 62.5 of T4 for awhile Also splitting the Cytomel dose may be needed but we'll see )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-30-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
(female)

LPD HB UserLPD HB User

Thank you so much. {{{hugs}}} I've been doing the full 75mcg's of Levo, and 18.75mcg (3/4ths of the 25 dose) of the Cytomel. I really haven't noticed any change, except (this may sound kinda 'funky') that my taste buds are dull-ish and I've noticed moles popping up. Ack! Is that a "normal" part of the titration process?

Lin

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Is that a "normal" part of the titration process?
Strange things can happen when increasing the dose, especially T3 For example I got this strange "allergic reaction" - my ear and nose canals would swell up soon after taking the higher dose, luckily this passed after a couple of weeks on the new dose.

Reply Reply