It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
I need help!! and your input

I am having a terrible neck problem. Let me see is I can describe it. I have been having trouble sleeping in the bed for quite sometime......I have this back aching pain in the upper part of my neck, and behind my right ear. I would have to get up and sleep in my lounge chair with a neck pillow. It seemed that I had a lot of tension in my neck. This has gone on, on & off for several months. Then a couple of wks ago my neck got sore and felt kind of like a "crick" in the same place and would radiate to the same place. I put a neck heating pad on it Sunday and when I got up Mon. morning it was a lot better, but the soreness and pain had moved to the left side. It seemed better Mon & Tues, then today, I went to beauty salon to get my hair done and couldn't lay my head back in the shampoo bowl without excruiating pain. Now, when I move my head or tighten my neck muscles this pain goes up both sides of my neck into my shull behind my ears.

Could this be inflammation/antibodies causing this? Pain pills don't seem to help. Has anybody else had these symptoms?

Here are my labs in March (2 3/4 grains Westhroid)

TSH.....................0.01............ ................0.40 ----- 4.20
Ft4......................0.7............ ..................0.6 ------ 1.2
Ft3......................2.96........... ..................2.00 ----- 4.40

I also have TSI antibodies (last time they were checked they were abt. 65%).

It seems that no matter how much my meds are increased my labs do not improve. Is it possible that I am taking too much thyroid hormone and it is pooling in my blood and not getting to my cells? Or would it show in my labs even if it was not getting to my cells. I know that according to my labs, I need an increase. Do I need a RT3 and/or saliva test?
I have had several A-fib episodes and wondering if it would be wise to keep increasing my meds before I can figure out what is going on.

Would appreciate any input anyone might have.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: SHMILY
lisa789 (07-29-2012), sammy64 (07-27-2012), sjb (07-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: I need help!! and your input

Greetings SHMILY! Sometimes a thin pillow under a shoulder, a small one under the head in the bed may help. This can be created easily by folding a towel of appropriate size and putting it in a pillow case. The heat can be moved to the sore places to keep the tense muscles relaxing. Training in relaxation may help. If one wants to go all out on the training a person might try to get a person from the phyical therapy department who has specifically been trained in relaxation exercises. Sometimes fibromyalgia acts like that with pain moving around from place to place in the muscles sometimes with fiery pain. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
SHMILY (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you sjb................a folded hand towel is what I have been using for my neck pillow when I am in my lounge chair because a neck pillow is usually too large. I'll try that for bed, although I can't imagine being able to get up by myself because it feels like tendonitis in my neck muscles and when I flex those muscles like what I would do to get up is when it hurts so badly. Thanks for your suggestions. If this is fibro related then it must be my thyroid causing the problems. Do you think?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, the truth is I am not sure, maybe thyroid involvement could have potential for muscle problems and if there is arthritis or herniations in the discs of the neck that has potential to cause pain also. Sometimes things like cysts or scars from old injuries or surgeries can press on nerves. Sometimes clots develop in the spine after surgeries and cause pain and even paralysis so many times only the doctor with the tests and complete history with education gets a better picture. Peace, sjb

Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

So sorry to hear of your issues.

I don't know what your labs looked like as you were titrating up on your dose. However, your current labs look quite typical for someone taking desiccated thyroid (FreeT3 level higher in the range than the FreeT4 level - due to the fact that desiccated thyroid contains a larger proportion of T3 than T4 than human thyroid).

I agree that your labs show room for improvement since most people feel best with FreeT4/T3 levels around 60-80% of range.

Usually, for patients taking desiccated thyroid, doctors will optimize the FreeT3 level first and, if symptoms remain, address the FreeT4 level with some synthetic T4.

Your most recent FreeT3 level is 40% of range so I agree that you would benefit from a dose increase.

Please don't concern yourself with the size of your dose. We each need to take whatever doses we need to optimize our levels.

I'm sure you're aware of proper dosing methods but, just to be sure, I hope you're taking your meds one hour before or two hours after last food/drink other than water (no coffee)....and at least 4 hours away from any iron/calcium supplements.

Maintaining consistent daily fiber and goitrogen intake is also important.

Hypothyroidism has been known to cause a-fib but, without a doubt, I hope you're seeing a cardiologist. I would follow his/her advice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
SHMILY (07-27-2012), sjb (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I'm sorry you're struggling like this. hugs.

My neck is one of my 'weakspots' when it concern thyroid (although I did not know before of course). I cannot say for sure whether it's the same but what you describe sure sounds familiar to me.

a little hint, which might or might not help (it wont solve the problem but it might help in the meantime). Most pillows to sleep on to support the neck (sorry I cannot come up the correct word) are too big for most women as far as necksupport is concerned, yet the ones for children are perfect. once my physio mentioned it and since then I no longer want anything else. (if it's too flat one can add another pillow beneath it but it's the height of the shape that important).

Until your thyroid levels are better/optimal, a small dosage of muscle relaxer might help too.

hang in there hope you feel better soon

The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
SHMILY (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa, did your neck pain radiate up into your lower skull, mainly in that little pad (don't know what it is called) behind the ears. I have been having a lot of tension in my neck, anyway. I notice when I tighten my neck muscles when I lift something, or even turn the corner or go around a curve in my car. lol I didn't realize we used our neck muscles so much. If this wasn't so painful it would be almost funny!!!

I didn't know you could buy a child's neck pillow. Sounds perfect.....I'll check that out.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I know perfectly what you mean (even more so since currently mine is playing up too ).
I know once they are painful one notices those are used with everything.

What a physio once explained to me is, when neck muscles are tense/painfull, it can trigger the nerves which go all over the skull. that's why musclesaches in the neckregion can reach till the eyes. The lower skull part is very close related so yes...hugs

I would never have thought about that neckpillow either until a physio mentioned it. Those things will not solve the problem, but it does help to not make things worse.

Things will get better though. i used to have those neckpain for years, never would have thought of thyroid. Until once I started treatment it was one of my first symptoms which responded, that made ring a bell. Yes these days my neck is playing up again, but my levels aren't optimal yet either. Anyway all this to say, when levels are better that will be better too. iin the meantime it's trying to ease the symptoms.

hugs

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi Shmily. Sorry you're having such awful pain. Seems I've had neck/shoulder issues forever, even before this thyroid biz started. I carry my tension there and have had to devise ways to ease it. Those buckwheat-filled hot packs are my salvation.

The one time it became unbearable was during the weeks when I was over-medicated/hyper. My FTs were at the tops of their ranges then. The tension was unrelievable. Heated massage helped for a short time, but it came right back afterward. Now, I'm not saying you are overmedicated; your labs don't appear so, but it could be theoretically possible.

I second Lisa's pillow advice. I was using two feather/down pillows stacked for a long time, but found when I removed one, I slept a lot better and had less neck stiffness. It isn't a big pillow to start with, but I squish it to support my shoulders and neck moreso than my head (hard to describe the position in writing) which works a lot better.
I also have found that spending too much time at the computer causes more shoulder stiffness. I began treadmill walking in February and am conscious to move my arms to and fro a lot while doing it. That's had an unexpected, remarkable effect on relieving my neck/shoulder tension.

Your pain seems too out of proportion to be just a thyroid symptom. Have you considered getting the advice of a chiropractor? Good ones can be godsends where it comes to neck/spine pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings! The heat packs can also be made of flax which lets moist heat out or rice. The cloth bag can be elongated in the form of a long rectangle about 4 inches or more by 2 feet or whatever size is desired. To keep the seeds from collecting at one end it can have a single line stitched over the rectangle widthwise every few inches. Then after it is heated it can be wrapped behind the neck and down over the collar bone or shoulders if one is still enough. Of course everyone decides what they wish do in life. Peace, sjb

Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
(female)

marcee HB Usermarcee HB User

I would be careful seeing a chiropractor with neck pain until you rule out potential herniated discs in your neck. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck and was told that under no circumstances should I ever see a chiropractor with neck herniations as could further damage my neck with resulting paralysis.

I also have hashi but think my discs and hashi are unrelated. I do havve a very enlarged thyroid though which is causing issues with swallowing. Once in awhile I do get sharp stinging pains in the front of my neck but the herniated discs pain is always in the back of my neck causing numbness and soreness in arms and hands.

I too use a smaller pillow for my neck on top of larger pillow. Eventually going to have to get a recliner though...I can see it happening sooner than later.

There is a spinal cord board that might be helpful as well.

Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to marcee:
sjb (07-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to marcee For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I cannot talk for others but can only go from my experience, so I'll throw it in and who knows whether it might be usefull.
In my case it's really thyroid related and although physio and chiropractor can be very useful, not for me. When it plays up, everything seems to make it worse, what I do stand is a soft massage. But exercises to strenght the neckmuscles or any 'harder' kind of treatment, makes it worse. Tried who knows how many things and when I received thyroid treatment, it improved, was rid of it for a very long time.

Another 'trick', heating paths can be very useful. Yet quite often people put them on the neck as such, which 1) most of the times leaves them in an unnatural position (in other words causing tension while it's supposed to relax the muscles. 2) it might be too much for the nerves. anyway not working for me either. Yet what does work is putting them lower, not in the neck as such but little lower, between the neck and shoulderblades. for me that's the best spot. I prefer the ones one can stick on the body and provide permanent heat for like 8 hours or so. Also good to sleep on since it's completely flat is the electrical heating pillow, not used as a pillow but to lay with the back on (shoulderblade height).

hope you get to feel better soon

Reply Reply