It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Puzzled by my thyroid results...

Power to you, Princesca!!

You accomplished so very much in such a short time!!

Please let us know how things go!!

(for whatever it's worth, as awesome as my doctor has been with me, she completely dropped the ball with two hypo people I referred to her - go figure)

Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
(female)

Princesca HB User

Sammy, I just kinda love you.

((hugs))

PS You said earlier that we were limited about what we could talk about on the forum? What are we not supposed to talk about? I want to make sure I don't run afoul of the rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Awww...I'm just paying forward all the great help I received from thyroid forum members. I will not deny that it's great to work with someone who has the capacity to understand and is obviously quite proactive

I'm only able to post links from .gov and *****. I've found the need to review the posting policy a few times since I've joined.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
(female)

Princesca HB User

Don't be modest! You empowered me to ask questions... and maybe my endo is right (though my gut says no). But even if my second opinion doctor agrees with her, her reaction to the questions YOU helped empower me to ask brought to light that I do not trust her, and that working with her post-op to get my synth levels right would have been an unpleasant journey for me. She clearly does not appreciate patients who do their homework, and I know no other way to be. We are simply not compatible.

In any case, it's very likely that your encouragement came just at the time I needed it most, and could very well have changed the entire trajectory of my future health, for the better. If you're ever in KY, let me know... the beer/tequila/chocolate is on me.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesca View Post
beer/tequila/chocolate
These alone are reasons to continue helping you jk

I'm beyond thrilled I could help!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
(female)

Princesca HB User

Good gravy, I have GOT to get some work done today, but I just wanted to rave a little more about this doctor. He's constantly connected to email, which is super nice because so am I, as you can tell. LOL. He writes me back within the hour. I feel like I'm dreaming. Welcome to the future!

Anyway, I can't see him next week as I have work committments that are urgent, but I'll be seeing him early 8/6. He said that he didn't think it was so urgent I couldn't wait until then, especially since I have no symptoms. He also said that he didn't think I needed to start on the Methimazole at this point. With hyper, I was most concerned about cardiac issues, so I made sure to tell him my BP and resting heart rate so he could decide based on that.

Now I have the fun job of calling my GP, endo, and the hospital that did my RAIU and scan and getting them to fax all my records over, and I'll have to pick up a CD for anything that was recorded.

Sammy - do you think it's okay for him to use the ultrasound that my endo did? I mean, the U/S itself is just raw data. Or do you think I should ask for that to be redone? The scheduler was concerned that insurance might not cover it twice so close together.

Okay... I swear I'm going to do work now. Take care you guys.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know how it feels to be trying to work while being connected lol

Anyhooo, your ultrasound was recent enough that I doubt you'll need another one. The only time another one might be ordered would be if something wasn't clear or the doctor wanted to look at something more closely.

Since the connected doctor didn't suggest another one, I'd wait until you see him.

A suggestion for the future - get all test results as soon as they become available....and maintain them in a file.

This is something I never did when I was healthy (heck, I never even looked at them) but, I found to be quite necessary once I developed thyroid disease.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
(female)

Princesca HB User

Ha... posting this for your amusement... so I called my endo to get my records sent to the new ENT. First I had to fill out a release form... okay, I understand that. HIPAA and all. Then they notify me that, pursuant to Kentucky law, they are required to only make one copy of my records, once, free of charge. Any after that cost $1 per page. Then they also notify me that they will not fax or otherwise send my results, I have to drive 40 minutes to downtown and back just to pick them up in person. Welcome to the 19th century.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
(female)

Missy1227 HB User

One thing I really like about my Endo is all my results get put online and I most likely seeing them before the doctor. I can request refills and message my doctor all from their web site and my personal file . I can print what ever I want when ever

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
(female)

Princesca HB User

Wow, that's awesome! I wish all doctors had that. My endo seems particularly nervous about HIPAA... the assistant was telling me they had recently redone their whole waiting area to be in better compliance.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

It seems each doctor's office has a different policy. My thyroid doctor faxes my reports...my former GP's office would only mail as is the case with the imaging center I use. I can access my lab reports online thanks to my lab's new portal.

Making the patient drive to pick them up is a bit of overkill, IMO.

However, it seems some doctors are engaging in CYA behavior.....and some just might like the idea of inconveniencing a patient seeking another opinion.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #27
(female)

Princesca HB User

Just a small update... picked up all my records, and am getting copies made so I can keep them and have a set to give to my ENT on Monday. My TPO results came back, and they are around 10... the lab normal range was less than 30, I think. She wouldn't run the other two antibody tests so I don't have those. Does a result of 10 indicate anything other than 'hey you're normal for TPO?'

Also, I noticed that, according to her notes from a thyroid U/S I had done in 2008 (which she didn't follow up on with me, I presume because my TSH was .03 and not yet abnormal *rolleyes*) that while my thyroid seems to have enlarged slightly overall, one dimension of it (I can't read her writing very well) seems to have actually gotten smaller. Any thoughts as to what that could mean?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

TPOab's are really markers of thyroid inflammation so, you obviously had a minimal amount going on back then.

An enlarged thyroid is associated with thyroid disease.

If you've only had one U/S, I'm not sure I understand your question about one dimension becoming slightly smaller....care to expand on that?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
(female)

Princesca HB User

Sorry - clarification... back in 2008, I went to see this same endo for another issue unrelated to my thyroid. In the process of that exam, she said that I might have multinodular goiter and did an U/S. She said at the time that she did see multiple nodules. But I had no idea what that meant, and because she didn't talk about needing to treat it, I just kind of chalked it up to being a similar thing as PCOS - cysts that are unimportant until they start causing other problems. Obviously, I know better now.

The most recent U/S I had done was in July 2012. I never had seen the notes from the 2008 U/S, so after I picked up my records, I noticed them and compared the two. In both 2008 and 2012, my TPO results were in the normal range, well under 30. Comparing her notes (what little I could read of them) it was at least clear to me that most of the dimensions of my lobes/thyroid as a whole had grown somewhat over four years, but one of the measurements had decreased. I wasn't sure if that was indicative of anything, or if perhaps it was simply an inaccurate measurement in 2008.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect your latter thoughts are more accurate - the dimensions were slightly different between the two.

The fact that the overall size of your thyroid has grown is significant - this is an indication of thyroid disease and MNG (multi-nodular goiter) is one type.

Reply Reply