It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User
First month of meds, got test results back

I was first on synthoid, it gave me bad side affects, switched to Armour. I am feeling better, not as tired. Hair isn't falling out.. and such.

T4 Free 1.01 was 6/8/2012 .9
TSH 1.64 was 6/8/2012 3.68
T4 Free 3.5 was 6/8/2012 never had one before they did the Total T3 129

Body cramps are much better.. still having pains but may be unrelated. I did have a high ANA 1:1260, but tested negitive for everything.
Did the antibody test and it was also negative.

From these resuls, looks like the meds are working.

I do think I screwed up. I had forgot about the test that morning and took my meds before I went in. So, it might of affected the results some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: First month of meds, got test results back

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Since different labs use different ranges, I'm not able to comment on your FreeT4/T3 results without them.

However, I can tell that, while your TSH has improved, there is still room for more improvement.

Per the Armour prescribing instructions, people who are optimally medicated on Armour will have suppressed TSH (TSH .02 or lower).

You might want to talk to your doctor about a dose increase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User

Sammy64 - is there a website where it refers to people taking Armour being optimally medicated will have tsh of .02 or lower? I want to be prepared for my follow up consult on Saturday Would the same info. apply to Thyroid (Canadian brand)?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

The treatment section of the Armour website says that Armour is indicated as a pituitary TSH suppressant and it goes on to listing a variety of thyroid conditions.

I suspect the Erfa site might have similar.

Suppressed TSH means below-range.

In the 5+ years I've been participating on multiple thyroid forums, I've never seen anyone optimally medicated on any form of T3 (Armour/Erfa are two of them) that has had a TSH higher than .02.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
brusselsgriffon (07-26-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User

Sammy thanks for that info. I am going to ask her to increase the dosage. My energy levels seem decent in the a.m., but toward afternoon I am crashing. From what I have read, it is suggest for optimal benifit to take an afternoon dosage.

I want to feel 100%... happy that my hair isn't falling out or gaining any more weight.. Big improvement in my eyes.

Lab results, but please remember, I goofed up and took my armour the morning of the labs. I am going to request doing the T-3 again on Monday when I see the doctor just in case.

Forgot to put the reference on them when posted.

T4 1.01 reference 0.82 - 1.77
TSH 1.640 ref .450 - 4.50
T3 3.5 ref 2.00 - 4.4

Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

People taking synthetic T3 often have an afternoon crash with once-daily dosing only because synthetic T3 has a short half-life.

Due to the thyroglobulin in it, Armour's effects seem to last longer and many people are able to take it once daily with no problem (no afternoon crash). However, I am aware of people that divide the dose.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that the second dose would need to be taken at least one hour before/two hours after last food/drink other than water....and 4 hours away from any iron/calcium. Reason being: Armour also contains T4 that has absorption issues.

We each need to figure out what works best for us.

Thanks for providing the ranges. Your levels with Armour in your system are still lower than what most people would find comfortable so, without a doubt, a dose increase is in order.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Last edited by sammy64; 07-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Reply Reply