It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

asm505 HB User
Biopsy on 3.9 cm nodule is benign. Doctor says wait 12 months

My biopsy of my 3.9 cm nodule came back benign and the doctor says to just follow up with another ultrasound in 12 months. I'm a little baffled by this because I guess I just assumed that they might want to remove it due to the size but when I questioned the doctor, he acted like I was being silly. He said the biopsy is 95% accurate.

I am happy that it is not cancer and I'm not looking for trouble but I also read many stories of non cancerous nodules actually being cancerous and isn't 12 months a long time or is that normal?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
(female)

asm505 HB User
Re: Biopsy on 3.9 cm nodule is benign. Doctor says wait 12 months

Also, the paperwork that was sent home from the doctors said that I am "clinically and biochemically eithyroid with a TSH of 0.19" What the heck does that mean???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I think you should get another opinion.
Although the nodule has a 95% chance of being benign, that's in no way the same thing as saying the biopsy is 95% accurate. A biopsy on a nodule that large only gets a tiny sample of cells. There are millions of cells it can't "see".

Your nodule is the size of an entire thyroid lobe. If it were me, I would not just accept this MD's word that everything is fine, and it's okay to wait a year to take another look.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
asm505 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

What kind of doctor/specialty is this? I can't imagine a good thyroid surgeon leaving something that large in, and not re-examining for 12 months---you need to see a good quality ent---that is getting to the size that it will be tricky to remove. The fna is just one step in the diagnosis, the size alone means that nodule (even if likely benign) is growing out of control, and can continue to do so---if it does it will be tricky to get out, and I'm surprised you aren't experiencing compression symptoms from this.

I agree with midwest that you should absolutely get another opinion, and see a good surgeon at a good teaching hospital, even if you have to travel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
asm505 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
(female)

asm505 HB User

I was at an endocrinologist (sp?) that is associated with a hospital here in PA. I am very frustrated at this point. I feel ticked at myself because I feel like (and my husband basically told me the same thing) that I should be happy that it was good news and benign...so why am I not happy? I don't WANT to have surgery, I don't WANT to have cancer. At this point, I am honestly just frustrated. I couldn't even carry on a conversation with this doctor and feel like he was understanding me. To make matters worse, while we were there, I questioned him about the size and removing it, and my husband said, "she has been on the internet"....as if I am being paranoid so I just shut up and didn't push it any more.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: asm505
LPD (07-26-2012), sammy64 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Endocrinologists are usually medical doctors, not surgeons, they can manage your hormones if you were to have thyroid cancer (which I doubt). ENT is a surgeon, which manages the physical gland/nodules---get an opinion from one of them---you don't have to have surgery, you can just get it watched more carefully, and get it evaluated by somebody who knows what it's like to remove them, and based upon experience, can help you make a better decision.

Reply Reply