It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
New opinions from those who have thyroid problem

Hi, I need to know if some of my symptoms (or all) could possibly be thyroid or not at all.I've had these over a span of 4 months and i have had these tests so far because the doctors thought it was muscular/heart/ulcer.Im going to see a ENT on the 17th August the quickest appointment I could get in Canada. Tests done so far 2x full annual blood work tests and urine (not sure if the screen thyroid ,diabetes in annual blood work like 6 tubes each time). 7 xrays of spine,lungs,shoulder,jaw,teeth.2x MRI's spine,shoulder.1 gastroscopy.4 physical exams including pressing around on my organs etc, 3 rd blood exam for hemogloben,EKG Heart,blood pressure chart 1 month daily readings and one dentist appointment plus their xrays. Now here is the story below as to why and how this came about plus symptoms please let me know if ayone with thyroid problem had this pattern.........Thanks a million for any answers
March 3rd I woke up with a heavy weight on my chest ,previous two weeks when weightlifting id have slight weezing but it lasted 15 minutes. The chest pain took 3 weeks to go away but in the mean time my upper back muscles tensed up and neck,even jaw started to hurt each side.After tests they said it was muscular and gave me pills but these muscle knots between spine and shoulder blade just killed me,dizzy,pain,vertigo and massive reflux from pills.It took a solid 2 months before they untensed all my muscles with acupuncture etc.Now I have 3 trigger points and a random tense neck that seems to come and go as it pleases (stress,coffee make it worse and excessie heat).After awhile the jaw pain went away completely for almost 3 weeks.I started having blood in my saliva (more mucus from the back not normal saliva that was fine) Gastro Doc said all was tip top from esophgus down 1#.Go see ENT and dentist.Dentist said I had bad gingiitis to floss more so I rampaged on that and lot less blood somedays nothing at all.Here are the symptoms I have now, constant post nasal drip daily not 24 /7 but daily(clear mucus).Lack of appetite sometimes most likely because the mucus in my stomach,sore throat and two red bumps left side where it drips all day on that side.I lost weight 222ils to 184 (but I went from eating butter toast,muffins coffee,eating restaurant food for lunch at work everyday,and dinner with ice cream and deserts to eating healthy breakfast,1 coffee ,sandwithc at lunch with fruit,smaller dinner no deserts and 3 liters of water daily plus one protein shake).My muscles in my back get weak randomly but dont hurt like before,random numbness in my two inner fingers each hand,tingling in my legs sometimes weakness,no shaking or anything just feel weak.and sometimes I feel anxious for no reason???? .I get jaw tension under my ears each side.Also this may sound stupid but the throat,dry mouth and burning tongue, each side only started when I used listerine zero three times a day when I went on my teeth cleaning rampage,which I stopped three weeks ago.Now I randomly get dry mouth especially on hot humid days or after coffee,tongue samething its random.Can all this sound like tyroid hyper active? or is my back muscular from my weight lifting accident and the neck up problems from allergy like pollen since we've been in a drought in Montreal like the states has the past month?Usually I get real allergy attacks,itchy throat,eyes,sneezing this year i'e gotten nothing except the god damn post nasal drip and red sore throat which by the way the doctor gave me 10 days antibiotics and nasinex which really hasn't healed anything yet its day 5 of 10

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

Princesca HB User
Re: New opinions from those who have thyroid problem

Wow, you've got a lot of stuff going on there. Did the ENT test you for TMJ? Some of the stuff I read sounds somewhat like a pinched or somehow compromised nerve... the numbness in your fingers, the back pain, the jaw pain/tenseness. My allergies have been awful this year, worse than ever. My doc put me on one-a-day Zyrtec (which I didn't end up needing to take because of part 2) and generic Flonase, which has rocked my world. I don't even take it every day now. Just every couple of days as needed. I feel like it's given me my life back, since I was walking around in a Benadryl-induced fog for months.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesca View Post
Wow, you've got a lot of stuff going on there. Did the ENT test you for TMJ? Some of the stuff I read sounds somewhat like a pinched or somehow compromised nerve... the numbness in your fingers, the back pain, the jaw pain/tenseness. My allergies have been awful this year, worse than ever. My doc put me on one-a-day Zyrtec (which I didn't end up needing to take because of part 2) and generic Flonase, which has rocked my world. I don't even take it every day now. Just every couple of days as needed. I feel like it's given me my life back, since I was walking around in a Benadryl-induced fog for months.
Yeah they did full spine MRI and I have zero nerve compression not even a minor disk problem same in shoulder. The numbness is very random , either when I'm sleeping and or up and nervous. It goes away quick as soon as I focus on it. I was wondering if post nasal drip is a thyroid symptom? I know the allergies could be a cause to the head problems I'm seeing an ENT on the 17 august I'm gonna make him cr scan my head and neck just to make sure

Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

Princesca HB User

I have not read that anywhere about post-nasal drip... but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I'm still very much in the learning phase.

I have to admit that I have been wondering, since thyroid conditions are (can be?) auto-immune, if my diagnosis this year along with the worst allergy year of my life when I had sore throats for months straight because of the post-nasal drip, is coincidental or if there could be some causality/relationship there. Just my late-night musings, though.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Welcome LiquidPlasma

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

The only way to know if they thyroid *might* be to blame is to look at the actual thyroid blood test results - preferably FreeT4, FreeT3 and TSH.

If symptoms dissipate *after* thyroid hormone levels are optimized (usually 6 months to a year, if not a little longer), then you know they were being caused by the out-of-whack thyroid.

Post nasal drip can be caused by hypothyroidism.

Since the hypothyroid body is moving in slow-motion, it makes sense that mucus will thicken and cause problems.

For whatever it's worth, I began supplementing with rhodiola rosea, an adaptogen, back in January. My goal was to reduce my antibody levels.

Adaptogens modulate the body systems - they help keep things "even".

Here's one of many PubMed articles about rhodiola rosea:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378318

I had the pleasant surprise of pretty much non-existent seasonal allergy symptoms this year....I credit rhodiola rosea.

Anyway, if you're able to post your thyroid lab results here (with ranges since they vary), we'll show you how to interpret them.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesca View Post
I have not read that anywhere about post-nasal drip... but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I'm still very much in the learning phase.

I have to admit that I have been wondering, since thyroid conditions are (can be?) auto-immune, if my diagnosis this year along with the worst allergy year of my life when I had sore throats for months straight because of the post-nasal drip, is coincidental or if there could be some causality/relationship there. Just my late-night musings, though.
I'm just so confused how I can go from super healthy march 3rd to all this crap one after the other yeah know? There was no build up at all just happened like a light switch. I know muscular stuff can do tons of symptoms but when you start getting burning tongue randomly, sore throat from a post nasal drip ( hell 6 months ago I didn't even know what that was!!). There is only so much tmj can be blamed to cause but all this? Just seems unlikely , and I bought what all the doctors told me hook line and sinker! The way this keeps going I'm bound to find out I have stage 4 cancer of something somewhere inside me because they all took so long in guessing or taking me seriously. The Medicare system in Canada is pure garbage , free sure but what takes 1 week in the USA to do takes 3 years to do through our free system. You have time to die twice with these delays !!!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Post nasal drip can be caused by hypothyroidism.

Since the hypothyroid body is moving in slow-motion, it makes sense that mucus will thicken and cause problems.

The only way to know if they thyroid *might* be to blame is to look at the actual thyroid blood test results - preferably FreeT4, FreeT3 and TSH.

If symptoms dissipate *after* thyroid hormone levels are optimized (usually 6 months to a year, if not a little longer), then you know they were being caused by the out-of-whack thyroid.

For whatever it's worth, I began supplementing with rhodiola rosea, an adaptogen, back in January. My goal was to reduce my antibody levels.

Adaptogens modulate the body systems - they help keep things "even".

Here's one of many PubMed articles about rhodiola rosea:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378318

I had the pleasant surprise of pretty much non-existent seasonal allergy symptoms this year....I credit rhodiola rosea.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
(female)

AnaClaff HB User

Sorry that you have so many things wrong at the moment, but you remind me of myself a few years back before I realised that I was prone to gastritis.
Because I had no actual stomach pain, my problem wasn't diagnosed until I ended up with severe swelling of the aesophagus. I know you say that your gastro doc says all is fine, but many of your symtoms sound similar. I too had to undergo heart ECGs, blood tests and the like. I am now cured (it took 6 months to clear) but I still have to watch my diet. The burning tongue is quite common to me when I have eaten for example too much tomato sauce (which I love, living here in Italy), not to mention sore throat which in the past got so bad it was hard to drink water. The tightening of my chest, wheeziness and shoulder-upper back pain were all symptoms of my gastro problem. The reason why I feel all of this in the upper part of the body is because I have a hiatial hernia (stomach muscle doesn't close properly) and this is a common cause in many gastro sufferers. I was nervous (hard not to be when so much is going on) and that was making it even worse, without me realising it.
I also suffer from hypothyroidism and I take daily medication but the sypmtoms of that for me include nervousness and getting hot and bothered and tenderness in the neck. However, if I take too much acidy foods, too much wine, spicy foods, then the heavy chest/breathing/burning symptoms come back. It's fine, I've learned to manage it over the years and when I feel it coming on, I just go back to a more simple diet.

I'm not sure if my own experience will help you in any way or ring any bells but I do hope you manage to find out what is bothering you soon.

Reply Reply