It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

mom2twogirls HB User
6.5cm mass on thyroid, more nodules and questions galore~?~

Thanks to Sammy64 for responding the other day, but I have more questions and concerns. I have never had any previously diagnosed thyroid problems. I am 40 years old and have a few health issues but none major serious. I take Metformin for prediabetes but my bs never runs over 200 no matter what I eat. I take Lisinopril-HCTZ, lowest dose for mild b/p, Propranolol 120mg ER for miagraines and heart palpitations, cymbalta and ultram for pain from arthritis in my knee, hip and spine, and the remainder are for deficiencies. I take B12 shots twice a month (give them myself), Vit D3 twice a week for severe deficiency, iron for anemia daily along with multivit with iron and fish oil. I am overweight. Only surgeries are a d&c 12 years ago, c-sections 11 and 9 years ago, removal of cyst on my wrist and fatty benign mass from my arm 8 years ago. With the d &c I was asleep, but the others I was awake.

With the d&C I had to be intubated during surgery and woke up fighting and they said it was having that removed. All other times including a colonoscopy, I just had oxygen, no intubation. Will I definitely be intubated if I have surgery on my thyroid?

About my thyroid, never had any diagnosed thyroid problems even with multiple thyroid tests all my life. Went to my internist (I don't have an endo) two Fridays ago because I had a mass in my neck and thought it was lymph nodes at first, but never got sick so I thought it might be thyroid. They did an exam, T3, T4 and TSH and scheduled an ultrasound for the following Wednesday. Had ultrasound, but no results of blood work. Ultrasound tech said she saw the mass I was referring to, would have the radiologist read it that day, two days back to my doctor and would hear from him this week starting tomorrow. Thursday morning (the day after ultrasound in afternoon), I received a phone call that the test results were back and an appt. had been made with an ENT for this coming Wednesday. So I am awaiting that visit. No one bothered to tell me the results. I went back by my internist to pick them up and they didn't have the papers from the radiologist, had to call and get it faxed. Apparently, everything had been done over the phone. Anyway, I picked it and lab work up and this is the results.

T3 142.3 80.0-204.0 range
T4 13.6 (H) 4.7-13.3 range
TSH 2.07 0.4-4.82 range

The ultrasound report was short and said (I'll leave out a few lines of unnecessary info) the US reveals evidence of a multinodular goiter with the gland enlarged and containing multiple nodules. A dominant mass in the left lobe of the thyroid measures 6.5cm is size. (Yes it can be seen without palpating my neck). The isthmus is thickened, 1.4cm in thickness. A nodule is identified posterior and somewhat inferior to the right lobe of the gland and it measures 2.2cm in size. this may represent an exophytic nodule or an enlarged parathyroid.

The follow impressions was multinodular goiter, dominant mass merit further eval with FNA and at the least further sonographic follow up, and other nodule exophytic thyroid versus enlarged parathyroid gland.

Sorry this is so long. I just need to understand what to expect. I would like to get this taken care of if they are removing it the end of next week. Would that be asking too much? I don't know that they want to remove it. Was the fact it was referred so quickly important? As big as it is, why biopsy it, why just not remove it. How do they know if the otherside is the parathyroid or not? Would they know before surgery. What are the risks or benefits of removing it? Can I expect and overnight stay at the hospital if they do remove it, should I insist on removal. It doesn't say whether or not it is cyst or solid. If it is enlarged parathyroid and thyroid does that increase the cancer risk? Any info. would be appreciated?!!? I'm not familiar with tx and issues involving the thyroid. My dad does take thyroid medication and he is 65 for underactive. My mom had a cyst but they didn't remove it on her thyroid, but she doesn't take medication.

Because I already have a huge Vit D deficiency, is this going to make it worse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: 6.5cm mass on thyroid, more nodules and questions galore~?~

Sometimes thyroids just grow out of control--like in your case. It's likely not cancer, but a needle biospy wont' be enough to indicate because the mass is so large. You will have to remove the thyroid (your thyroid isn't very healthy at this point) and do a pathology that way.

This has grown very large, and is probably constricting you---you need a really great surgeon to help you because this is going to be tricky to remove---try to find an ent/ontorongolist with a thyroid specialty at a major teaching hospital to do the surgery. You will be fine, and then you will take replacement hormone to replace whatever that thyroid was producing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
mom2twogirls (07-30-2012)
Reply Reply