It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

Meri38 HB User
Unhappy Thyroid removed and also had uterus and left ovary removed...all started Dec 2006

Hi all,
I was first starting to experience severe panic and anxiety attacks at end of Dec 2006. My thyroid was removed due to hyperthyroidism in Aug 2007. It took a while to regulate with synthroid, but when I finally had to have my uterus and left ovary removed (due to severe case of endometriosis and scarring), my TSH levels started to go whacky, I was doing better on 137mcg synthroid up until that point when the hysterectomy was done May 2010. I have not been able to get regulated with the changes of synthroid dosages. I am 38, female (well, duh about me mentioning I am a female...lol). I saw my endocrinologist today and since he was slowly decreasing my synthroid, he wanted to see if my TSH level was the culprit to my still ongoing with severe anxiety and the few panic attacks that come out of no where. But my level from last week's blood work showed my TSH is now 7.13 after being lowered to 88mcg. He told me that he now truly believes it is not the thyroid hormone that is keeping me in anxiety mode now pretty much all day. He put me up to 100mcg and wants to go back up slowly since he is worried about my bones and the constant fast heart rate. He is now going to just control the synthroid hormone to get it to at least 2.0. He feels I need to go back to my primary doctor and for my PD to control the anxiety. I am taking up to 6mg xanax every day as well as buspar. I do see a couselor. But I am feeling so miserable. Any suggestions are always welcome...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Thyroid removed and also had uterus and left ovary removed...all started Dec 2006

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

I am not reading anything about your actual thyroid hormone levels and only about pituitary hormone TSH.

Unfortunately, TSH does not tell an accurate story.

And, your endo's treatment goal of 2 is absolutely crazy when you think about the fact that healthy people have TSH 1.0-1.5.....and thyroid textbooks state that people taking meds like Synthroid should be dosed such that their TSH is .3 - 1.0.

What's more important are the actual thyroid hormone levels: FreeT4 and FreeT3.

Thyroid textbooks indicate that patients should be medicated so the FreeT4 level is in the upper part of the range (or even slightly elevated) and the FreeT3 level above mid-range.

Your anxiety *could* be due to inappropriate thyroid hormone levels...either/both the FreeT4/T3.

Now, the fact that you no longer have a thyroid could very well mean that Synthroid isn't enough for you.

You see, the thyroid produces two main hormones: T4 and T3. T4 is our storage hormone and our bodies convert it to T3, the active hormone. The levels of these hormones that are available for the body's use are measured by the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests, respectively.

Since 20% of conversion happens in the thyroid and you no longer have one, this means your FreeT3 level might not be adequate.

Obviously, after all my "talk" about FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels, I suggest you get those levels checked pronto.

You also might need to find a better doctor - one that runs the right tests and has appropriate treatment goals.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-31-2012), Meri38 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
(female)

Meri38 HB User
Re: Thyroid removed and also had uterus and left ovary removed...all started Dec 2006

Thanks Sammy64 for your reply to my post. Sorry, I should have acknowledged it sooner. Actually, my female pharmacist, who is a compounding pharmacist gave me a name of a third opinion endocrinologist that deals with all the hormone levels in the female body and deals with patients as a whole. I am going to make an appointment with him as soon as I can, but in the meantime, I am still having my current endocrinologist increasing my synthroid slowly, am now up to 112 mcg every day and my last TSH level results were like 4.65. I am taking into consideration what you said about getting my T3 and T4 levels checked out as well. A nutritionist told me that I may be lacking iodine as well, just putting a few drops on my arm to see how fast it absorbs into my body. I will do more research on that as well. Believe it or not, I am actually feeling better slowly with less anxiety in a day and not waking up each morning with full blown anxiety and/or panic attacks. I also have been dealing with bad insomnia. Have done a little more research on this and my symptoms and have found that the majority of my symptoms can be caused by gluten in my diet. So, I may start to change my diet to consume a lot less gluten and see where this leads me. Sorry, this sounds like I am all over the place, but may have found some remedies that could alleviate some of my symptoms. But one thing at a time. I do not have to have my blood checked again for a few weeks more. Just trying to figure out how it is right now to not having moderate to severe anxiety. With all of this said, I will see the third opinion endocrinologist and start cutting back on how much gluten I take in. Thanks again for your response and advice, I truly appreciate it more than you know. :-)

Reply Reply