It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

SandyES00 HB User
Doctor's Say Nothing Wrong, but Still Not Sure...

I have been suffering from extreme fatigue for several years now. I can literally fall asleep at any time of day and still never wake up rested. I also have random other symptoms that may not even be connected, but thought I'd mention of sensitivity to cold, breathlessness, dizziness when standing, blurry vision when just standing, and acid reflux. When I was 18, I had an abnormal thyroid test that was repeated every 6 months for a year or so, but never came up abnormal again. I don't know what it was because I never thought to ask. I was tested in 2007 (TSH only) and it came back at 3.076. This was just part of some random physical test. I was tested regarding my symptoms in 2009 and the results were super different:

FT3 2.8 (ref. 2.3-4.2 pg/mL)
TPO less than 10 (0-34 IU/mL)
T4 8.4 (4.5-12.0 ug/dL)
TSH 1.2 (.45-4.5 uIU/mL) --way within normal, almost low
FT4 .99 (.61-1.76ng/dL)

B12 was a little low. I also had lower Lymphocytes and liver enzymes, but only slightly.

In June of 2012, I visited a doctor for my continuing symptoms, and my TSH was tested again, among other things. The result was 3.130 uIU/mL (ref. .45-4.5) which shows a lot of fluctuating. I know that the new suggested range for TSH is a max of 3, but still I was only slightly over, and varied over the years. Could the thyroid still be a problem? THe only time anything but TSH was tested was in 2009.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Doctor's Say Nothing Wrong, but Still Not Sure...

Sorry to hear of your struggles!

Please know that the pituitary changes its production of TSH in response to the body's needs for thyroid hormone.

That alone is reason enough that TSH shouldn't be used to judge thyroid status.

Healthy people have TSH 1.0-1.5 but, the fact that you've had higher TSH results in the past indicates that you might be dealing with hypothyroidism.

Thyroid status is always confirmed by looking at the actual thyroid hormone levels and the best tests to measure these are the FreeT4 and FreeT3 (FT4 and FT3).

Per thyroid textbooks, healthy people have FT4 levels near the high end of the range and FT3 levels above mid-range.

As you can see, your FT4 level isn't even at mid-range and your FT3 level is near the bottom end of the range......this can explain many, if not all, of your symptoms.

You would benefit from some thyroid hormone replacement.

I suggest you see as many doctors as it takes to find one that recognizes this.

These are the suggestions I have to offer re finding a thyroid-savvy doctor:

1. networking
2. check the Top Thyroid Doctors site for a listing in your area
3. ask local pharmacists (not the counter help) for names of doctors that prescribe either Armour or Cytomel. Doctors that Rx either of these tend to be more thyroid-savvy
4. contact the Broda Barnes Foundation and pay ~$18 to get an information packet that includes a list of doctors in your state who follow Dr. Barnes' ideology (Dr. Barnes was the author of "Hypothyroidism - An Unsuspected Illness" and was lightyears ahead of his time)
5. find a doctor that prescribes bioidentical hormones either by checking websites or contacting compounding pharmacies (they are likely to have names of doctors that prescribe Armour which usually means they're more thyroid-savvy)

Idea #1 worked for me....the other ideas have worked for others. I hope one works for you.

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroid, levels, range, thyroid, tsh