It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
(male)

introextrovert HB User
Newly diagnosed with hashimotos

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune) Hypothyroidism. Kind of weird considering my age (28) and my gender (male).

Here were my blood results:

======================================== =========

TEST DONE LAST YEAR (July 2011):

Thyroid Function Tests:
TSH : 1.60 - Range: (0.30 - 5.50) : units: mIU/L

Comments: Euthyroid

TEST DONE THIS YEAR (July 2012)

Thyroid Function Tests:
TSH: 6.33 - Range: (0.40 - 3.80) : Units: mIU/L
FT4: 14.4 - Range: (9.0 - 24.0) : Units: pmol/L

Comments: Results are consistent with subclinical hypothyroidism or early hypothyroidism.

Iron Studies:
Ferritin : 17 - Range (30 - 300) : Units: ug/L

Comments: Ferritin result indicates depleted iron stores.

- Further test requested by the doctor after the above results -

Thyroid Antibodies:
Anti TG Ab: 126.9 - Range: (<4.5) : Units: IU/mL
Anti TPO Ab: 13.7 - Range: (<5.5) : Units: IU/mL

Comments: Results are consistent with autoimmune thyroid disease

Ultrasound Report:

The thyroid gland is heterogeneous and irregular in echotexture. The right lobe measures up to 54 x 18 x 20mm. The left lobe measures up to 47 x 25 x 70mm. No discrete nodules. There is increased vascularity.

Impression:
Possible thyroiditis.

======================================== =========

There are other results but I wont post those as they're irrelevant.

I am extremely tired all the time, pale, washed out and generally feel like crap. Should I start on thyroid hormone replacement, or wait for it to get even worse?

I have also started taking an iron tablet everyday with a glass of orange juice. The doctor did not mention anything about supplements but I just did it anyway. Will it make a difference to my ferritin levels?

Last edited by introextrovert; 08-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with hashimotos

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by introextrovert View Post
Should I start on thyroid hormone replacement, or wait for it to get even worse?
I have also started taking an iron tablet everyday with a glass of orange juice. The doctor did not mention anything about supplements but I just did it anyway. Will it make a difference to my ferritin levels?
Your hypoT will most likely only get worse so if/when you have symptoms I think you should go on thyroid supplement already. The function of your thyroid can fluctuate but you just need to adjust the dose accordingly. Taking iron will raise your ferritin and that can also relieve your symptoms.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-05-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
(male)

introextrovert HB User

I have heard a few doctors who take an interest in hypothyroidism say that a person should aim to have a FT4 level in the upper range, and even if it is within range but on the lower end then treatment should be advised.

I will be having my TSH, FT4 and FT3 levels tested in four weeks time.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You'd probably want to see your freeTs around midrange or higher, the low third of the range is too low for most people.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
(male)

introextrovert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
You'd probably want to see your freeTs around midrange or higher, the low third of the range is too low for most people.
I am unsure whether it is the iron (ferritin) levels or the T4 or T3, or whether they're all linked?

For the last 9 years I have been going to the Dr complaining of fatigue, depression, concentration issues. I have been diagnosed with everything from ADHD, depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue.

What caused me to go back was because one of my managers saw me in the morning and pulled me up and said to me: "mate, if you ever need to talk about anything, you can always come and talk, it'll stay between us."

I was looking so pale and washed out that he thought I was almost at the brink of suicide, and I thought this is not right and I need to go back to the Dr and demand that I get evaluated again because the way I looked physically was not who I was mentally (I was not suicidal).

It was not until this Dr's visit (a different Dr) that he actually run the proper tests and figured it all out.

I have looked at the ultrasound images of my thyroid and even to an untrained eye like mine, I can tell there has been damage done.

The Dr has finally found what is wrong, has diagnosed the issue, but I am still the same as I was 3 weeks ago, 1 year ago etc... I have no treatment.

Last edited by introextrovert; 08-05-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by introextrovert View Post
I am unsure whether it is the iron (ferritin) levels or the T4 or T3, or whether they're all linked?
HypoT can cause absorption issues so in that way they can be linked.

Reply Reply

Tags
autoimmune, ferritin, hashimotos, hypothyroidism, iron