It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
(male)

bobf HB User
New medication after thyroidectomy

Had a full thryoidectomy performed on July 30, 2012 due to the presence of a 5 centimeter papillary cancerous tumor on left side. Doctor now has me taking Liothyronine Sodium (Cytomel) 25mcg twice a day. I wish I knew when my body actually made the hormone naturally. Did it do it gradually or was generated at night while asleep? Well, anyway my body has been good to me and I want to take the Cytomel at the best time. I am taking it at 6 am and at bedtime (10 pm). Would it be better to take the second Cytomel at 6 pm, which would be a 12 hour interval? Please comment! I don't want to upset the apple cart.
My calcium before and after surgery was 9.4 and the only medication I take is one Amlodopine 5mg daily for a slight increase in blood pressure. Started this about 6 months ago. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: New medication after thyroidectomy

Wow, that was some size nodule! I assume you are going for RAI? Make sure your doctor/hospital orders thyrogen so you can stay on medication---there are shortages.

You aren't going to be on cytomel long term---it's a fast acting t3 replacement hormone---it goes in your cells, and is used up pretty quickly, so people usually after thyroid removal for cancer go on a t4 replacement medicine such as synthroid or tirosent. T4 is what your thyroid mostly produces naturally (a little t3 too) and then over several weeks, your body converts it to t3 for your body cells to use. It takes weeks, it's not an overnight thing, so you might want to get on a t4 med soon, and then over time drop the cytomel. You will also have to keep your tsh suppressed under 1 to ensure you don't have a recurrence.

I wouldn't take the short acting t3 cytomel before sleep---take it in the morning, and then the afternoon, so your body can use it. Otherwise your body, with no other thyroid hormone support, will feel exhausted by the afternoon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
bobf (08-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply