It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

crisza HB User
Hashimoto and Miscarriage...

Hello!
Is there any one out there who has Hashimoto's disease and
had a miscarriage related to it? I have Hashimoto for more than 20 years and thought it was well treated however recently I had a miscarriage in my first pregnancy at 6 weeks and can't stop thinking that it might be related to the disease. Everybody keeps saying that miscarrying in the first pregnancy is normal and that I shouldn't be worried....but I'm not too convinced. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow to be recommended to an endo as I don't trust her anymore to monitor my levels. I feel so frustrated!!! Sorry....just so difficult sometimes.
At 5 weeks pregnant:
FT4: 15.7 (10.3-23.2)
TSH: 3.32 (0.4-5.5)
Does it look normal to carry a successful pregnancy?
Thanks.

Last edited by crisza; 08-13-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Hashimoto and Miscarriage...

Your TSH is in the high range, indicating hypothyroidism, and I think being treated with thyroid replacement would improve your chances of carrying a pregnancy successfully. Hypothyroidism is a known cause for miscarriage. Your thyroid dose should aim for getting your TSH down near 1-1.5. This may have been related to your miscarraige, and I'm so sorry you went through that. The endo is a good idea, and I'll bet your next pregancy on thyroid replacement will be fine! Please try to find a good endo who is both thyroid savvy and knowledgeable about pregnancy related issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
crisza (08-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisza View Post
I'm seeing my GP tomorrow to be recommended to an endo as I don't trust her anymore to monitor my levels. I feel so frustrated!!! Sorry....just so difficult sometimes.
At 5 weeks pregnant:
FT4: 15.7 (10.3-23.2)
TSH: 3.32 (0.4-5.5)
Does it look normal to carry a successful pregnancy?
These labs show a need for slight dose increase. You should aim to get your TSH around 1 (or lower) and your FT4 above midrange. Some sources recommend an automatic increase of 25 mcgs when pregnancy is confirmed but not everyone absolutely needs an increase at that point, 25 mcgs can be too much (especially if the original dose is fairly low), a few need a greater increase. On average the dose needs to be increased by 30% during the first trimester and up to 50% by midpregnancy. Thyroid antibodies can increase the risk of miscarriage.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
crisza (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisza View Post
does this mean I don't have Hashimoto's any more?
Have you have had high antibodies in the past? Not everyone with Hashimoto's test positive for thyroid antibodies. No antibodies is good news but you should know that AIT (which I believe can still be a factor even if those Abs have come down) does increase the risk of activated natural killer cell activity (NKa+) which can be an issue despite good thyroid levels.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-13-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

crisza HB User

Thank you for your replies.
I'm on levothyroxine alternating 100mg and 125mg. Also, I just got the result of the thyroid antibodies test and says negative...does this mean I don't have Hashimoto's any more? I hope I will find a good endo soon :-(

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Jumping messages again See my reply below

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

crisza HB User

...I don't have my old labs with me so that's a good question now. I would say so otherwise I wouldn't have Hashimoto's, right? I see if I can get on hold of them....thanks.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Hashi's can go into remission and then show it's ugly head again. If you have and test positive for antibodies, it is my understanding you will always have it.

Reply Reply