It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

catsbell2000 HB User
TSH = 9.2 and T4 = 14

Over the last 6 months i have been feeling increasingly more tired, been feeling very low and having uncontrolable mood swings. My concentration levels are really bad. I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism and on discussing my symptoms with members of my family i went to the G.P. to get my blood tested.

My TSH is 9.2 range (0.4 -4.5)
T4 is 14 range (9 -25)

I have been told that my results are borderline and to go back for more blood tests in 3 months. It was the receptionist that told me this so i haven't even spoke to a Dr about it. Everything i have read indicates that a TSH of 9.2 would mean a hypothyroid?

But i have checked out the British Thyroid association and they will not diagnose hypothyroid unless the TSH is above 10, especially as my T4 is normal.

What should i do? I cant go on feeling like this, i am a normally fit and well 23 year old, work 13 hour shifts on my feet and walk 2miles to and from work. But im really struggling at the minute.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: TSH = 9.2 and T4 = 14

You are clearly hypothyroid, and I would call the Dr or go back to see him/her and ask for treatment. Many Drs will use their own judgment and not follow the guidelines strictly. Even if your insurance won't pay for the medicine based on diagnostic criteria, it would be worth paying out of pocket (not expensive) to feel better. When my TSH was 9.5, I could barely function or stay off the couch. I hope your Dr understands. He should talk to you on phone since he ordered the test and has seen you, and could call in Rx.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
catsbell2000 (08-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Even though the "official" British definition of hypoT is TSH above 10, I've seen many instances here on this board of people finding treatment with lower TSH.

I don't know all the ins and outs of medical care in your part of the world, but my advice would be to consult with as many doctors as it takes until you find one who'll treat you. Don't assume that if the first one says "no", that all others will do the same.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

kellysgirl33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsbell2000 View Post
Over the last 6 months i have been feeling increasingly more tired, been feeling very low and having uncontrolable mood swings. My concentration levels are really bad. I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism and on discussing my symptoms with members of my family i went to the G.P. to get my blood tested.

My TSH is 9.2 range (0.4 -4.5)
T4 is 14 range (9 -25)

I have been told that my results are borderline and to go back for more blood tests in 3 months. It was the receptionist that told me this so i haven't even spoke to a Dr about it. Everything i have read indicates that a TSH of 9.2 would mean a hypothyroid?

But i have checked out the British Thyroid association and they will not diagnose hypothyroid unless the TSH is above 10, especially as my T4 is normal.

What should i do? I cant go on feeling like this, i am a normally fit and well 23 year old, work 13 hour shifts on my feet and walk 2miles to and from work. But im really struggling at the minute.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
i do hope you get it sorted, i am in somerset england and yes having the different ranges is werid and the fact the drs are not over botherd dealing with the symptoms do make you mad, my dr only refer me to an ent because of the nodule found in neck which i go tomorrow. my tsh 1.25 and i dont think i can wait till it gets to over 10 either, your not alone with these symptoms i feel exactley the same as you hopefully we will both get sorted soon best of luck x

Reply Reply