HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   They say my levels are normal, but I'm so tired.... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/914038-they-say-my-levels-normal-but-im-so-tired.html)

rhamlin11 08-13-2012 03:42 PM

They say my levels are normal, but I'm so tired....

Hi there,
I am first-time poster and hoping for some advice...

I had my thyroid removed April 25th, and RAI (despite the nodule being only .5cm it showed spreading to my lymph already!!!)on June 1st.
I was started on Synthroid 125 - but I was so exhausted just vacuuming one room made me feel like I ran a marathon. Going up to 137 made my levels "normal" but my T3 hasn't been tested. (TSH - .07; T4- 1.71 as of July 9th).

I have read that maybe T3 - cytomel will help, or that there could be an adrenal issue - I'd just like to be able to wake up in the mornings without every once of willpower i have ..... its making me feel very unmotivated and depressed.... (symptoms of hypo, i believe...)

Thoughts and advice? I'd like to get back to normal asap - not just to feel humna again, but because we had just started trying to conceive when this all started - I don't want to miss another whole year trying to fix this..... :(

Thanks so much for your advice!!!!

FinnMaid 08-14-2012 10:43 AM

Re: They say my levels are normal, but I'm so tired....

Hello :wave: Welcome to Thyroid Board :)
Checking FT3 would be a good idea - medicating with T4 only just doesn't work for everybody. You might need added (synthetic) T3 or you could do better with natural thyroid hormone.

You could also look into is pH balance of the body. A controversial subject yes, but cutting back on for example coffee, sugar and artificial sweeteners and eating more veggies certainly doesn't hurt anybody. I can certainly relate to the exhaustion and total lack of enthusiasm which I'm still fighting (changing physical activity is also a factor) but with the help of my alkaline drink and improved diet (I don't follow any specific pH balance diet religiously) I certainly feel better than last spring.

rhamlin11 09-05-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply ;)
My Doc put me on 100mcg Synthroid; two doses of T3 (5mg) a day - I feel better psychologically - but still much moodier (feels more like being a teenager again) and my libido is almost gone, still have muscle issues....
I wonder in anyone else has experienced this?

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that my Dr let me switch before I even saw her or checked the levels?

FinnMaid 09-06-2012 09:51 AM

Starting T3 can be a bit of a shock, it might be a good idea to cut your T3 dose to 5 mcgs a day for awhile at least. Dosing is a matter of trial and error and labs don't always tell the truth so sometimes one just needs to give it try a see what happens. I didn't have my FT3 tested before starting T3 but things worked out just fine for me.