It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
What would happen if a normal person was given 50 mcg Synthroid?

What would happen if a normal person was given 50 mcg Synthroid?

Would it turn them hypo because it would signal the pituitary to produce less? How would their reaction be different than someone who did, in fact, have a thyroid issue (in terms of how their body responded to the medication)?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: What would happen if a normal person was given 50 mcg Synthroid?

First of all, I hope no doctor would administer any thyroid medication to a person free of thyroid issues.

Second, I would hope no one with a normal thyroid function would take medication that could affect their healthy thyroid negatively...where ever they got it.

Third, I take a rather small dosage of synthroid and it is 75 mcg, so 50 mcg would be even an smaller dosage. You do not mention over what time period this would be happening and how often they are taking the synthroid.

This question could only be answered correctly by a doctor who has studied this type of scenario for research, which would likely be hard to find.

I would never recommend anyone taking any amount of medication for an ailment one does not have. My best to you.

Last edited by writeleft; 08-15-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

Hi, there. No just cause for alarm, I am not suggesting anyone take medication if they do not need it. I am simply asking how a "normal" person would respond to medication, since I have doctors telling me I do not need the medication anymore and then there are other doctors who say I do need thyroid hormone.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

With a small dose of levothyroxine a healthy person's thyroid would start to work less trying to maintain euthyroid state and the med may have no effect at all. I think some could start to feel hyperT symptoms but basically a small dose shouldn't have much effect.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
Spencer1 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
With a small dose of levothyroxine a healthy person's thyroid would start to work less trying to maintain euthyroid state and the med may have no effect at all. I think some could start to feel hyperT symptoms but basically a small dose shouldn't have much effect.
I have a friend who was put on 75 mg. She said she's been taking it for 20 years, but her TSH has never been out of the normal range. She's said she has been told she has firbromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome at different times. I'm just wondering why they would put her on a larger dose than I'm on with a high TSH.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnap View Post
She's said she has been told she has firbromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome at different times. I'm just wondering why they would put her on a larger dose than I'm on with a high TSH.
Every doctor has his/her own way of doing things, that's just how it is. One can be hypoT even with a "within range" TSH. Chronic fatigue syndrome can actually be hypothyroidism and I think hypoT and fibromyalgia can have similar symptoms too.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
Spencer1 (08-20-2012)
Reply Reply