It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

caseyxoxo HB User
Unhappy BEGGING FOR HELP. i can't live like this much longer... AM I HYPOTHYROID OR NO????

i've done extensive research and think that all my issues are stemming from my low t3

TSH: 2.53
T4(THYROXINE), TOTAL: 6.2
T4 FREE: 1.1
T3 TOTAL: 79

here's my story also talking about symptoms and everything:

First off I'm an 18 year old girl. I've been dealing with all these symptoms for about a year. But they keep progressively getting worse. The doctors of course said I was depressed (which I just shrugged off and said ok even though I have no reason to be I need some kind of relief) so I tried about 5 anti-depressants with no help at all. I became suicidal because I can't handle living like this anymore. I've also suffered from bulimia for the past year but I've successfully stopped on my own for the past three months and I'm eating nothing but healthy foods. yay me

okay so as for the symptoms: i'm completely and utterly exhausted 24/7. i sleep alll day everyday because i don't have any energy AT ALL. the rare times i bother hanging out with my friends anymore i just end up sleeping. i always have headaches, migraines really. my hair loss is frightening, i don't shower often because i'm scared i'm going to go bald it's become so thin with how much that falls out (i orginally thought this was from the bulimia but it hasn't stopped at all and it should have at least a little since i've stopped purging). no interest in sex anymore, and i used to be a sex addict almost.. hands and feet are always cold, constipation, dry brittle hair, dry skin, very pale, nausea, acne when i used to always be praised for my clear skin, achy muscles, zero motivation, major anxiety, always feel like there's drainage in my throat, dizzy, eyes are dry and very sensitive to sunlight, and the worst one is brain fog. i feel as if i'm going mentally retarded because of it. i can't even have a conversation anymore cause i can't think of anything to say if my life depended on it. it's like my mind has just been shut off. i can't focus or do anything and the tiredness is just god damn unbelievable for an 18 year old to not even be able to get out of bed. sleeping for 20 hours and still waking up exhausted. i just graduated and i'm taking a year off of school because i barely made it to graduate high school i can't even bear the thought of college. i can't get a job because i can't stay awake! i might as well just <sleep>.

i got tested for my thyroid and i told her to do the special test because my mom has hypothyroid and hers didn't show up until she did the special t3 or whatever test. but then they called and said everything was normal...except i'm vitamin d deficient.

pleaseeeeeeee tell me if there's anything i can do. i seriously can't go on like this anymore. i just want my old happy self back. i want to be able to talk again and not be a dead zombie all the time. i just want to be able to wake up and start the day with no problem, go tanning go shopping hang out with friends, all the things i used to love to do and i can't even gather the energy to do them. i'm so irritable and crabby towards everyone because i'm so miserable feeling like this and no one understands! they think i can just snap out of it and get up like nothings wrong. if only they could feel how i feel for a minute they'd be bitching and complaining as well.

any comments or ANYTHING you guys have to say is very much appreciated thank you!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: BEGGING FOR HELP. i can't live like this much longer..... AM I HYPOTHYROID OR NO?

I am sorry you are having to go through this. It definitely sounds as if something is going on with your thyroid, but unless you can get your doctor to agree, there is not much to be done. A lot of your symptoms are those of depression as well. Do not be too quick to rule this out; it could well be adding to your other woes. See if you can get a referral to an endocrinologist. At worst it will be another opinion. Sera

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

gik HB User
Re: BEGGING FOR HELP. i can't live like this much longer..... AM I HYPOTHYROID OR NO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyxoxo View Post
i've done extensive research and think that all my issues are stemming from my low t3

TSH: 2.53
T4(THYROXINE), TOTAL: 6.2
T4 FREE: 1.1
T3 TOTAL: 79

here's my story also talking about symptoms and everything:

First off I'm an 18 year old girl. I've been dealing with all these symptoms for about a year. But they keep progressively getting worse. The doctors of course said I was depressed (which I just shrugged off and said ok even though I have no reason to be I need some kind of relief) so I tried about 5 anti-depressants with no help at all. I became suicidal because I can't handle living like this anymore. I've also suffered from bulimia for the past year but I've successfully stopped on my own for the past three months and I'm eating nothing but healthy foods. yay me

okay so as for the symptoms: i'm completely and utterly exhausted 24/7. i sleep alll day everyday because i don't have any energy AT ALL. the rare times i bother hanging out with my friends anymore i just end up sleeping. i always have headaches, migraines really. my hair loss is frightening, i don't shower often because i'm scared i'm going to go bald it's become so thin with how much that falls out (i orginally thought this was from the bulimia but it hasn't stopped at all and it should have at least a little since i've stopped purging). no interest in sex anymore, and i used to be a sex addict almost.. hands and feet are always cold, constipation, dry brittle hair, dry skin, very pale, nausea, acne when i used to always be praised for my clear skin, achy muscles, zero motivation, major anxiety, always feel like there's drainage in my throat, dizzy, eyes are dry and very sensitive to sunlight, and the worst one is brain fog. i feel as if i'm going mentally retarded because of it. i can't even have a conversation anymore cause i can't think of anything to say if my life depended on it. it's like my mind has just been shut off. i can't focus or do anything and the tiredness is just god damn unbelievable for an 18 year old to not even be able to get out of bed. sleeping for 20 hours and still waking up exhausted. i just graduated and i'm taking a year off of school because i barely made it to graduate high school i can't even bear the thought of college. i can't get a job because i can't stay awake! i might as well just <sleep>.

i got tested for my thyroid and i told her to do the special test because my mom has hypothyroid and hers didn't show up until she did the special t3 or whatever test. but then they called and said everything was normal...except i'm vitamin d deficient.

pleaseeeeeeee tell me if there's anything i can do. i seriously can't go on like this anymore. i just want my old happy self back. i want to be able to talk again and not be a dead zombie all the time. i just want to be able to wake up and start the day with no problem, go tanning go shopping hang out with friends, all the things i used to love to do and i can't even gather the energy to do them. i'm so irritable and crabby towards everyone because i'm so miserable feeling like this and no one understands! they think i can just snap out of it and get up like nothings wrong. if only they could feel how i feel for a minute they'd be bitching and complaining as well.

any comments or ANYTHING you guys have to say is very much appreciated thank you!
Your symptoms are not "normal". You are very young and should be in prime health. My advice is to discuss this further with your Mom. You will probably need her help in getting a diagnosis. This may mean going to multiple endocrinologists. You may have to fight like hell! Do not give up! Get help!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

first of hugs! you're way too young and should be in upper health, since you're not a doctor should get to the bottom of this.

I agree with the above, might be good to get your mom on your side and make sure to tell the doctor (if he/she does not know that already) that your mother is hypot and consequently it runs in the family.

low vit d is also associated with hypoT. are you given supplements for that?

Unfortunately total T4 and T3 aren't very useful, you want to have the Free T4 and T3 tested. do you have the reference ranges going with that free T4? (those can be different for each lab). if so please feel free to post those.
Next time you might also ask for thyroid antibodies, mainly the ones relevant for hashimoto being antithyroglobuline or antiTPO, if those are present that might make it easier to achieve treatment.

as a little background information, TSh is thyroid stimulating hormone, produced by the pituitary gland, not an actual thyroid hormone. FT4 and FT3 on the other hand are the actual thyroid hormones, when those drop too low for the body's needs that causes symptoms. Most need theirs at least midrange or higher in order to feel well.

hang in there! hugs

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User

Your TSH is higher than 2.0 - which suggests your thyroid is working harder... Healthy people have a TSH of around 1.0. Your doctor will probably argue with that as it falls in the ranges are 'normal' ; however, GOOD doctors acknowledge this as a red flag that something is not right - the thyroid is working too hard - especially as so many of your symptoms are hypo.

I deal with a naturopath doctor - it has been great.

Do get the above suggested tests. Your Free T4 and Free T3 and the antibodies- post them and the RANGES - and then people here can give you some solid advice.

Plus you can always try an new doctor! Some endo's are helpful and others not...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
(female)

rhamlin11 HB User

Obviously you need a better doctor, and get the whole range of thyroid tests - BUT!!!
If you are living in florida, and still Vit D deficient - that is also very significant.
Vit D is associated with mental health, joint flexibility, thyroid (of course, what isn't) and so on.

The thing you can do to give yourself the smallest boost right away is go on at least 1000mg of Vit D3 daily (My drs want me on more like 2000mg daily!!) Don't pay any attention to the supposed daily value of 400mg - its complete BS - almost all good doctors think it needs to be upgraded to 800 for healthy people!!

One final thought - have you noticed if there is any seasonal shift to all this?
If there is (i always crashed in November - and couldn't function) I would suggest a lightbox - it does more than any antidepressent if you happen to have SAD......

Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

Fille HB User

Hold on! We are all together in this!

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, depression, hypothyroidism, thyroid