It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

knicknack HB User
Backwards side effects of cytomel?

Hi everyone -

I recently was put on cytomel and I am having just about the opposite reaction as everyone else on the planet, it would appear. I'm taking 5 mcg 2x a day. Labs prior to the prescribing of cytomel were TSH 2.5, normal free t4, slightly low free T3 (not sure exact numbers). Have high hashimoto antibodies and have for at least 6 years, but TSH has always been okay.

Here's the problem: I'm miserable since the cytomel. I'm so thirsty I can hardly see straight. I've gained almost ten pounds in 6 weeks with no substantial increase in what I'm eating. There may be a few pounds of excess food weight because I was eating more initially (presumably because I was thirsty) but now it's normal food intake. My blood sugar has gone up about 15 points (both fasting and 2 hours after eating) but is still within normal range (although barely). I can't get my heart rate up above 135 through normal exercise. I'm now uber sensitive to caffeine, as well, and I never used to be. I've also started sleeping til mid afternoon if I don't set an alarm, which I haven't done in quite some time (although I always have slept a lot, but not THAT much).

None of the symptoms from before have gone away, or if they have they are masked by this intense dehydration. I'm maybe slightly cheerier, is all.

I feel like I've gone into HIBERNATION basically. Isn't this supposed to rev you up, if anything?

What's up with this? Doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it. I just don't know if it's worth it, or if I just need less or more or a different treatment altogether. Do I just wait it out? Is 2 months enough time to know? Will this thirst go away? I get more bloodwork in about 2 weeks and then back to doc after, but in the meantime I'm kind of freaking out.

Seems like cytomel should fix me up but...help!

The following user gives a hug of support to knicknack:
lisa789 (09-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Backwards side effects of cytomel?

you might consider asking a hardcopy of your labs so you have the exact numbers. once you have them, please feel free to post them including the reference ranges.

common is retesting after 6 weeks so in that regard it's been long enough. you want to make sure not to take your thyroid medication close to bloodtesting (6-8 hours away) since it can give an inaccurate picture;

Are you on Cytomel only or combination treatment (together with some kind of T4 supplementation such as levothyroxine, synthroid and so on)?
If not 2 times 5mcg is not much, unlikely sufficient. that being said T3 only treatment is not common. (so far have yet to encounter the first person feeling well on it). More common T3 added to T4 medication if need be.

Most do need their free levels, both FT4 and FT3 at least midrange or higher (60-80% of the ranges) in order to feel well so that's a good guidance in the meds titrating process.

hang in there

Last edited by lisa789; 09-06-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

knicknack HB User
Re: Backwards side effects of cytomel?

I'm just on the cytomel - nothing else. Not sure why that is since I definitely have hashimoto's - have had the antibodies crazy high since 2006. I'm confused why just the cytomel since that isn't treatment for Hashimoto's on its own, is it?

I have the script for the bloodwork already so maybe I'll just go in now instead of waiting another two weeks. I can grab the old bloodwork while I'm there and post my levels. I'm definitely NOT feeling okay. Blood sugar this morning after about 12 hours of no food was 102. The last fasting blood sugar lab (that I have access to) I did was 70. So, quite the difference there. :/ I wasn't worried about it too much when I saw the doc last but am thinking I need to call him. I will update with the numbers once I get them!

Last edited by knicknack; 09-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
bloating, cytomel, ft3, side effects, thirst