It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

cielito HB User
Newly Diagnosed... Nature-throid, does it help your symptoms??

Hi I'm new here's my story: Until about a year and half ago I was energetic, athletic, happy, healthy and at 5'7 maintained 120 lbs without thinking about it. I started to have digestive issues (did multiple parasite purges because I had been living in Central & South America). The constipation got worse, then I got this extra 10 lbs. that was driving me nuts, then I was so tired all the time.....anyway this all spiraled until in June of this year I had to quit my job.

I started sleeping, a lot, being so tired all the time, being so cold, feeling achy all over like I have the flu, experiencing deep, deep depression, and was not able to put my thoughts together. Everything takes more energy than I have, I no longer want to see or contact friends. My long, once beautiful hair is falling out by the handful and I am now tipping the scales at 154! I also started having these periods of crazy binge eating, where for a few days I just have to eat tons of carbs, which for me is whole grains and no sugar. Then I feel okay and go back to my veggies and protein. (not enough calories consumed to explain all this weight!)

I asked for thyroid tests when this all began and nothing. On my third try I finally found a doctor who said yes, I am hypothyroid. I just started with nature-throid and find that my mind has cleared a little and I am not in such a deep depression, but not much else has changed. I have been on it 2 weeks now. Anyone else take naturethroid and how long did it take to work? HELP! When will I get my body and my life back?? I am reading all the books and following instructions exercise, diet, sleep, rest what else can you do??

Thanks for your help!

The following user gives a hug of support to cielito:
lisa789 (09-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed...Nature-throid, does it help your symptoms??

Welcome to the board! I hope it will be of as much help to you as it was to me at first.

Doctors never tell us that the meds for hypothyroidism aren't an instant fix for the condition. They are hormones, not "drugs". They don't instantly fix the hypoT. Instead, they replace the hormones your gland would make naturally if it could. They re-set the body's natural processes that control hair growth, mood, weight control, fluid retention, sleep patterns, and every other bodily system there is. Thyroid hormone plays a role in all of these things.

You've been deficient in thyroid hormone for quite a while. The effects of not having enough set in slowly. Likewise, the repair of the bodily systems once you begin replacing the hormone take place gradually and slowly. You may not feel your old self for up to 6 months or even longer, depending on whether your doctor understands that your eventual optimal dose must be tailored to your specific needs, not according to his whims and biased ideas about what constitutes optimal treatment.

When I started taking (another brand of med like) Nature-throid, I didn't feel anything until about 3 weeks later. Then I felt worse again until my next labwork and levels check. The dose was increased, and the cycle repeated itself for the next 9 months, until symptoms were finally relieved. That's not to say it will take you that long; everyone is different. But... You need to know that your successful treatment all depends on having a doctor who is willing to prescribe enough hormone to repair your body and restore your wellness. Many have preconceived ideas about dosage and symptoms that are mistaken. So I'm telling you in advance, in case you get to a point where you don't feel well yet but your MD is telling you that "it's not your thyroid".

It's going to take time. Be prepared for some ups and downs in the way you feel until you reach your therapeutic dose.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
cielito (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

cielito HB User

Thank you for your kind reply. I am reminded of a friend who told me that healing is a process and not an event. I'll have to work on patience.
Thanks again!!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I LOVE Naturethroid! I thought I was dying by the time I was diagnosed and was originally started on Levothroid. I ended up in the ER on the 4th day. Doc switched me to Naturethroid and within days I felt better.
You have to remember though, it's a slow process getting to the right level. You have to start at a low dose and slowly work your way up to the dose that makes you feel the best. I started at 1/8th of a grain and am currently taking 1 1/4 a grain. You will "wear" a dose for awhile and feel pretty good, and then start to have symptoms again. That usually means its time to "bump". Only bump by 1/4th a grain. Get your labs done every 8 weeks and it may take months to get where you need to be. I just know that without Naturethroid I would be curled up in a ball hiding somewhere! I totally made me feel better.
Also, I have hashi's and went gluten free as I was having stomach issues too. BIG difference. I dropped 20 lbs and no more stomach problems.

The following user gives a hug of support to susieq0726:
golfhat (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed... Nature-throid, does it help your symptoms??

It takes about 6 weeks for synthroid to make a difference because it is slow acting. But for armour and naturethroid it could take even longer.

i have been Armour for 4 months and I noticed no difference in the way I felt until 3 months had gone by. And suddenly and I mean suddenly a new world opened up.
I had been sluggish like walking thru mud!

And on synthroid I felt fine but the doc wanted to try a med that had all the Ts instead of just T4 because my TSH was always going up. So if you are on Naturethroid you need to know a few things.
1. It is faster acting and yet it may still take a while for your body to decide to use it properly.
2. You have to know, will this pill dissolve in my mouth or should I swallow it?
3. You have to take it on a completely empty stomach.
4. You must drink a full 6 oz of water with your pill!!!

Until I started to drink a full glass of water, the med did not work very well.

Also I take my pill at 3-3:30 am because I am positive my stomach and intestines are EMPTY and not busy working hard and that pill goes right in there and starts to work.
I takes about 2 hrs before I feel the effects of it.

So by 5:30 or 6 I am getting antsy and want to get up. If I want to sleep later, I take the pill closer to 5.

Have faith, you can feel better but don't be too impatient.
As for losing, just get on a good diet plan and exercise and you will lose the extra weight.

It is all an ongoing work for us, and going in regularly to be checked is part of it.
But I am praying for the day my doc says "don't come back for a year!"

Last edited by golfhat; 09-07-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielito View Post
I am reminded of a friend who told me that healing is a process and not an event.
What a wonderful saying... and completely true. You have a very wise friend.

Reply Reply

Tags
depression, diagnosis, naturethroid, weight gain