It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

HighlyBlessed HB User
Question Is it mental or thyroid related??(my story)

Here's my story and hopefully someone help me make sense of this?

At age 15, I started to get depressed for no real reason and cried alot. At 16 I realized I was depressed and needed and wanted help, I went to a psychiatrist and he said I was depressed, put me on lexapro I was on those for about 2-3 months and didn't feel any difference. So I stopped taking them. Life went on I was even happier again. Then around 17, I went to the E.R., he then referred me to the mental hospital, I spoke to a few psychiatrist there. They said I wasn't depressed and could use counseling.

So I made an appointment with a psychiatrist. She said I need therapy as well, but I asked her could we try AD's. She agreed. I was on them 4 months, I had a scary experience, rage, weight gain I felt I was hallucinating. I was 18 and kicked off my parents insurance. So life was good, I felt depressed but I could deal, went back to school and was happy and felt "normal" At age 19, I begin to notice changes in my body. I was always working out and things like that and trying to eat healthy. I started noticing I was becoming very fatigue and out of breath and like I couldn't breath, especially running up the stairs. I ignored it and then one day I woke up and anxiety out of no where. I just remember being so scared, I couldn't even watch tv (it sounds crazy, i know) Especially about violence because I was so scared something was going to happen to me and so fearful. I was having panic attacks and one night I was rushed to the E.R. because my chest got so tight and I couldn't breath, the did a chest x-ray and blood work and that's when i found out I had hypothyroidism. The doctor explained my symptoms was from low thyroid. She said I was border line/ slightly hypothyroid and put me on 50 mcg and sent me on my way.

When I started levo things got worse and worse and I remember crying and crying, my memory became bad, i couldn't focus. I felt like I had dementia I would sit there and be so out of it and sometimes my body would just start shaking. I have brain fog and feel so slow. My anxiety has gotten worse, I'm always thinking the worse, I feel so guilty over nothing! I stress and worry about everything. I'm always thinking myself or someone going to die or get sick or I have this disease or that and "what if's". I wake up sometimes in panic and this isn't me I wasn't this type of person. I feel so depressed sometimes, and like i want to give up. I've been living in pure anguish these last two years and I thought it was related to my thyroid because every doctor I go to its depression, depression and I THOUGHT I was depressed in my teens that was nothing.

I'm constantly worrying, I get so happy, then so sad and my emotions are all over the place. I wasn't the worrying type I just lived life, but i'm feel with so much fear and worrying and guilt. I've been going through this two years alone and I'm tired. Any advice? anyone been through anything like this? pls share your symptoms and stories? thanks so much!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: HighlyBlessed
Deda (09-09-2012), lisa789 (09-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Is it mental or thyroid related??(my story)

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry you're struggling like this.

As you might or might know it's crazy the effect a thyroid (dysfunction) can have on the body, including mentally. Ithink a lot on here can relate to how it 'plays' with our personality when levels are off (the latter one is an important addition). To me it sounds like your levels aren't at a good place, so think it's important important is to get your levels at a good spot and go from there. symptoms which resolve are thyroidrelated.

Are you on 50mcg for 2 years, was your dosage adjusted in the meantime? when were your last labs done. if you have any recent one please feel free to post them including the reference ranges. If you don't have any recent labs done, that's step 1 to do to get better.
You want to have checked: TSH, FT4 and FT3.

normal within ranges is not good enough when it concerns thyroid. Most need their free levels (FT4 and FT3 which are the actual thyroid hormnones) at least midrange or higher (60-80% of the ranges) in order to feel well.

Hang in there and things will get better!

The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
HighlyBlessed (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

HighlyBlessed HB User

Here's my results from March
TSH -1.716 (FLAG REFERENCE RANGE) 0.350-4.500
FREE -T3 3.1 (FLAG REFERENCE RANGE) 2.3-4.2
FREE -T4 1.02 (FLAG REFERNCE RANGE) 0.80-1.80

these are from July
TSH- 1.019 (0.350-4.500)
FREE T4- 1.27 (0.80-1.80)
FREE T3- 2.5 (2.3-4.2)
Thyroglobulin Antibody- 20.0 (40.00)
Thyroid Peroxidase- 10.0 (35.0 iu/ml)

Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

you could benefit from a dosage increase.

As I said most need their free levels at least midrange or higher, your FT4 is just below midrange(1.3), your FT3 is still near bottom. So I'd start with asking for T4 increase. If your FT3 level does not go up, adding a T3 supplement might help.

hang in there

Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I have had the extremely tight chest, too, for years, off and on, and I can assure you, it was, and it is anxiety. (for me ... and sounds like for you as well) It did start after my diagnosis of hypothyroid, but I do know, (now) that I always had anxiety issues ever since my childhood. It just grew out of control after having health problems, mainly while I was my sickest during my worst yeats, (of trying to get levels corrected, and get well)

At that time I just came hyper vilgilent over every little symptom, thus, extreme worry and stress, which caused the tight chest. (I think at times I even concentrated too much on my breathing, ... every breath I took)

My levels are not in a bad range, today, (after 10 years on treatment), I feel pretty darn well, ... finally. I do still have days of anxiety, but no longer think it's caused by my thyroid. I know I just worry and stress too much about things. If I get angry, upset, worried ... my chest gets tight. It has been so tight, I've had to remove my bra, even. (it felt like is was strangling me)

My (mental health) Dr. tells me that this is a VERY common symptom of anxiety. I know it IS anxiety, as when I take a Klonopin, within 45 minutes to an hour, it goes away, completely. I try to only take them when I really need them, which is not very often these days, fortunately.

Yes, I think the other poster is right on target, about a small increase.. Try a small increase, and bring your Free T4 and your FreeT 3 up a bit. Then see how you feel. If you continue to get the tight chest, I would ask for something for that. Talk to your Dr. about it. Anxiety can make a person have all types of symptoms, too.

I also get the tight chest, if I become the slightest bit hyper. And stress or worries, or upsets, seems to go straight to my chest!! (I'd rather it be something else) Nothing feels worse to me than not being able to breathe, properly, and feeling as if I have a dry cleaning bag, tied over my head.

My best wishes to you.

Reply Reply