It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

Mimibella HB User
Please help with lab results!!!

I have practically every symptom of Hypothyroidism and a strong family history (both Sisters, Mother and Grandmother diagnosed. My PCP ordered lab results and they came back as follows:

TSH 0.67 Range 0.40-4.50 *Normal*

T4 7.8 Range 4.5-12.0 *Normal*

T3 86 Range 76-181 *Normal*

Thyroglobulin Antibodies <20 *Normal*

Thyroglobulin 143.0 Range 2.0-35.0 *High*

The girl at the office called and said "my levels were a little high" and therefore My Dr was sending me for a thyroid ultrasound. She wrote Hyperthyroidism for the diagnoses on the order which was weird because my symptoms seem primarily Hypo. Not really sure what to make of this. How can almost everything show as normal when I feel so crappy. I'm happy that she's sending me for an ultrasound but based on what I've read online, that diagnosis seems kind of like a reach based on only the elevated Thyroglobulin level.

Also, I actually asked her to add the Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin Antibodies test to my lab orders because one of my sisters has Hashimotos. She didn't seem all that familiar with them so I'm wondering if she's not familiar with interpreting it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please help with lab results!!!

You definitely are not hyperthyroid. Based on that set of tests, it's logical to conclude you may be hypOthyroid, based on the low in range total T4/3; but it really isn't the best set of tests. Try to have them redone, using TSH, free T4, free T3, Tg antibodies, and TPO antibodies (which are most commonly seen in Hashimoto's). The thyroglobulin level test is not relevant to a Hashi's diagnosis; it's done as a check for recurrent thyroid cancer.

Most doctors will be fooled by your "normal" TSH and not look further for thyroid disease. Don't allow that. Press the issue for the correct testing, and then, the correct interpretation of those results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

Mimibella HB User
Re: Please help with lab results!!!

Midewest, thank you so much for responding. I noticed too that I was on the low end of "normal" on some test. However, my MD said they were "perfect" and was only concerned about the elevated thyroglobulin which I know now has little relevance. Like I suspected, she has little experience beyond the cookie cutter thyroid cases. She did send me for an ultrasound which had these results:

Multinodular Goiter with a 5mm complex cyst in lower right pole, a 4-5 mm hypoechoic nodule in upper right pole, a 1.8 x 0.9 x 1.2 cm isoechoic nodule in mid left pole and a 8 x 5 mm isoechoic nodule in lower left pole.

Thyroid measurments: Rt lobe 5.9 x 1.8 x 2.1 cm and Lt lobe 5.9 x 1.6 x 2.1 cm

I wasn't surprised at all by the results, although I don't have any visible lumps or swelling on the outside, I have tightness in my throat that gets worse at night (I wake up choking at least once a night) also, my voice has gotten a little croaky and I feel like I'm swallowing over a lump.

After reviewing the results my MD referred me to and Endo but was really unwilling to answer any questions regarding what may or may not be going on with me. So now, taking into consideration my symptoms, family history and test results this far my questions are:

What test should I ask the Endo to do?

If the Endo tries to brush me of due to the "normal" ranges from my previous labs, what should I say?

How concerned should I be with my ultrasound report and what the heck do hypo/iseoechic and complex mean?.

Thank you guys in advance. I'm so grateful to have found this forum. The information and people here are AMAZING!

Last edited by Mimibella; 09-15-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo

Reply Reply