It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

JJ0424 HB User
New to Board

In March I was told that I had 4 nodules on the left lobe (2.1 cm, 1.2 cm, .5cm and .4cm) along with 2 nodules on the right (1.4 cm w/calcifications and 1.0cm). An unrelated CT scan revealed a large fluid filled cyst in the left lobe as well. All blood tests came back normal. I went to my first Endo the end of April. He ordered a FNA of the nodule with calcifications only. The results were:

Benign Follicular cells, hurthle cells, macrophages, colloid and blood. Consistant with goitrous nodule.

The phone call to me said nothing to worry about.....

In the meantime I have met with another Endo (I wasn't a fan of the other, he seemed to be in a rush and I couldn't understand him quite clearly). This Endo wants to remove the entire thyroid due to the size of the nodules and the fact that I have them on both sides. He also mentioned not liking the hurthle cells in the FNA. I am scheduled for surgery 9/27...

Any advice? What exactly does the FNA results mean? Reading all the information online can be somewhat overwhelming so I decided to join this message board in hopes of understanding better...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: New to Board

There was some good news, and less than good news in your fna---"colloid" usually indicates benign, but hurthle cells can be a red flag.

I don't know how large your thyroid/goiter is, but you have a "multinodular goiter with a dominant nodule" in which case most doctors would want to remove it because that's a red flag as well.

This is likely benign, but your nodules are growing quite large. I think you should go to a teaching/university hospital, and talk to an ENT/ontorongology surgeon who can help you decide whether or not to remove this. The only real way to be sure all is benign, unfortunately, is removal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
JJ0424 (09-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

JJ0424 HB User
Re: New to Board

Reece,

Thank you for your reply. The measurements that were taken back in April were:
Rt Lobe 4.0 x 1.9 x 1.4 cm
Lt Lobe 4.1 x 1.9 x 1.8
Isthmus .2 cm

I have met with my surgeon and am scheduled for a complete thyroid removal 9/27/12.

Reply Reply