It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
(female)

Josephinew HB User
Hashimotos symptoms query

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board though have been lurking for awhile. From what I have already read, symptoms and side-effects of all things thyroid vary a fair bit. I joined in the hope that someone will recognise my symptoms to be able to tell me what is probably causing it.

For about 3 years I had very dry skin, thinning hair, heat intolerant, sweating, weight gain +++, anaemia, depression, fatigue. Seven months ago, suddently, I just couldn't sleep - day or night (wide awake, heart racing and thumping, mind racing). My doctor ran tests and was diagnosed Hashimotos, plus a suspicious small nodule that tested benign through fine-needle aspiration. Interestingly, the night of the biopsy, I fell asleep easily and slept soundly (just that one night I was back to normal!). Endocrinologist says my symptoms are related to the active phase of hashimotos, the inflammatory phase. The nodule has been left in place and they will look at it yearly. I am keen to have it out (and my doctor is too), but I am so worried that my symptoms will worsen - and that is what the endo said might happen. He feels the nodule is ok to stay.

The most pressing problem is not being able to sleep unless I take medication, then my mind doesn't function - I am at university and struggling to stay afloat. I'm really finding it hard to cope with the symptoms. Anyway, I just hope someone can suggest something that I can try. I am taking 100 mcg daily thyroxine sodium. Tomorrow I am about to start liothyronine 50 mcg daily. I increased my dose of thyroxine sodium myself from 50 to 100 mcg and the symptoms calmed down for 4 days then started again. My skin is still dry and uncomfortable and I am still depressed. Tried Xanax, Deptran and something like ...azepam ??. These drugs are not helping.

Hoping the liothyronine will make a difference. Look forward to hearing from people. Thanks so much for listening.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Hashimotos symptoms query

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

do you have any recent bloodresults if so please feel free to post them, including the reference ranges. when it concerns thyroid in order to feel well and be symptomfree it's important that levels are at a good place (normal aka within ranges is not good enough). most need their freelevels (FT4 and FT3) at least midrange or higher in order to feel well.
So 100 mcg thyroxine as such does not mean much, it's all a matter of where it brings your levels.

I'm pretty foggy myself but something in your post did caught my attention being the switch to liothyronine 50 mcg daily. as far as I know that's T3, some do need a little T3. indeed but this dosing is just plain crazy and irresponsible in my opinion. I don't think I ever encountered a person being on such a high dosage T3. most start out with 6 mcg daily (added to T4) or something similar. Keeping in mind that T3 is about 4 times as potent as T4, equivalent of about 200 mcg T4. I would not do it and suggest to ask for a hardcopy of your labwork and/or try to find a another doctor who konws
what he/she is doing.

hang in there

Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

Josephinew HB User

Thank you for your reply and I can say you are right about the crazy dose. I didn't see your post until after I'd taken the first liothyronine dose and I felt extremely well initially then went downhill fast over 24 hours or so I contacted pharmacist and he agreed it was a high dosage for a starting dose. I divided the capsule into a third for the next dose but I felt 'very unwell', so have stopped taking it! Will talk to my doctor about treatment and maybe find another doctor who has some experience.

Also, I'll get Free T3 & T4 tested and post results here.

After reading people's posts I feel my insomnia and heart palpitations are from wrong levels of hormones. Just knowing that alone has given me lots of hope.

Thanks!!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
(female)

Josephinew HB User

Results: (while taking 100mcg thyroxine)

TSH - 0.013 L (0.5-4.5)
Free T3 - 6.1 (3.0-6.7)
Free T4 - 21.7 H (10.0-21.0)

Lab suggests over-replacement and to decrease thyroxine replacement.
My doctor has asked me to decrease dose to 50 mcg.

Dose history and symptoms.
I've reduced the dose to 75 mcg. I feel very well, no hyper symptoms (and wasn't even at 100 mcg), 2kg weight loss in 7 months, skin mostly hydrated. Bowel has begun to slow again at this dose (e.g., no longer daily as with the 100 mcg dose). Heart palpitations have come back. Still cant sleep.

The initial dose of 50mcg was some improvement in feeling of well-being though skin still very dry and bowel function affected (e.g., having to have enemas at times when up to 6 days of no bowel movement occurred). Always bloated from lack of bowel movements. Having to moisturise face about 4 times/day, and body daily. Couldn't sleep - heart palpitations +++.

Any advice from your experiences regarding my results would be so appreciated I'd really like to let my doctor know what you think on this board and I am sure she will consider it in my case. I'm thinking I need to have a high average T3 to feel good.

Question: Is a very low TSH level (0.013) likely to have an impact on the pituitary gland - I do have occasional dizzy spells.

Sorry this is so long! Thanks.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
(female)

Josephinew HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephinew View Post
Results: (while taking 100mcg thyroxine)

TSH - 0.013 L (0.5-4.5)
Free T3 - 6.1 (3.0-6.7)
Free T4 - 21.7 H (10.0-21.0)

Lab suggests over-replacement and to decrease thyroxine replacement.
My doctor has asked me to decrease dose to 50 mcg.

Dose history and symptoms.
I've reduced the dose to 75 mcg. I feel very well, no hyper symptoms (and wasn't even at 100 mcg), 2kg weight loss in 7 months, skin mostly hydrated. Bowel has begun to slow again at this dose (e.g., no longer daily as with the 100 mcg dose). Heart palpitations have come back. Still cant sleep.

The initial dose of 50mcg was some improvement in feeling of well-being though skin still very dry and bowel function affected (e.g., having to have enemas at times when up to 6 days of no bowel movement occurred). Always bloated from lack of bowel movements. Having to moisturise face about 4 times/day, and body daily. Couldn't sleep - heart palpitations +++.

Any advice from your experiences regarding my results would be so appreciated I'd really like to let my doctor know what you think on this board and I am sure she will consider it in my case. I'm thinking I need to have a high average T3 to feel good.

Question: Is a very low TSH level (0.013) likely to have an impact on the pituitary gland - I do have occasional dizzy spells.

Sorry this is so long! Thanks.
lisa 789, I hope you see my lab results - only just got the results and had a wait of two weeks for them. I am really keen to hear what you think, or anyone else who can interpret my results. Then I can get the proper treatment I'm sure.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
(female)

Gabriella777 HB UserGabriella777 HB User

Here is something simple for sleep:
Magnesium is amazing. A bath in Epsom salts will relax you and give you the magnesium you need. This is what I do and it works for me. Put some hot water in the tub, with at least half of a box of Epsom Salts. Then add 1/2 box of Kosher salt. Mix it up with hot water. Say there is 2" of hot water in tub, get in the tub. When the water cools a little, add more hot water. Do this repeatedly, the idea being keep the water as hot as you can take it. I stay in that tub for at least 1 hr, sometimes longer. I light candles, play music to relax. Not feeling well can take it's toll on your nerves. When I do this bath I sleep like a baby at night and wake up in a very good mood. Wishing you a genuinely good nights sleep!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
(female)

Josephinew HB User

Thanks Gabriella - that is definitely worth a try. I love long hot baths so this will be easy to do. I'll look around today for Kosher salt, not sure if I can get it. Is it know by any other name?
Thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
(female)

Gabriella777 HB UserGabriella777 HB User

You can find it in the supermarket next to regular salt with baking products.

Reply Reply

Tags
hashimotos, heart racing, hypothyroid, insomnia, palpitations