HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Thyroid problem? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/918410-thyroid-problem.html)

AlexC1157 09-14-2012 10:47 AM

Thyroid problem?

Hi everyone,

I am writing this to ask people who have experience in the matter if i have a thyroid problem. I have family history of it(mum,an uncle and one cousin) but the doctor says i do not. the symptoms i have are:
>Hand tremor that i have had for years but is getting worse. ( diagnosed ET but beta blockers dont work)
>Often feel tired or fatigued.
>Find it difficult to concentrate especially in lessons.
>Dry hair.
>Sometimes feel depressed or slightly worthless.
>Anxious a lot of the time over silly things
>Heart sometimes speeds up seemingly at random
>Get periods of feeling weak, joint pain and of cold things (e.g. a metal handle) seeming painfully cold.
>Find it hard to put on weight (go to gym use protein shakes)
>Forgetful
>and i sometimes struggle to get to sleep.

I am a 17 year old boy and have had plenty of blood tests, urine samples and a brain scan all for the diagnosis of my hand tremor if that helps.
Thanks for reading any advice, opinions or input is welcomed.

Bran'sNana 09-14-2012 11:40 AM

Re: Thyroid problem?

If you've had any thyroid labs you could post, that would help. Make sure you ask the doc to run the FREE T- 4 and FREE T-3- along with antibodies testing for thyroid disease along with the tsh. You could be hyper or hypo. We can't tell until we see numbers. The fact that you have relatives with it seems very likely.

AlexC1157 09-14-2012 11:53 AM

Unfortunately i don't have any numbers currently as the doctor would just say normal then pass me on to someone else and i would never think to ask. I will book a doctors appointment asap and follow your advice. Upon speaking to my mum she said her and her brothers thyroid problems wouldn't show up in the blood-test but they both had lumps. I did have my throat scanned 4-5 years ago and they found nothing but thyroid hasn't been the focus of recent tests.

Thanks for the advice.

Bran'sNana 09-14-2012 11:58 AM

I don't know about the UK but here we can get copies of our labs. Or maybe your mum could ask for the exact numbers. So many suffer with symptoms like yours and the docs say"normal" when you clearly have something going on. keep pushing till you find out. You have your whole life ahead of you! You deserve to feel right!;)

AlexC1157 09-14-2012 12:16 PM

Well upon further discussion with my mum she says that when i was younger that the doctor said there was a 12 in the results which i am assuming is FT4 as she said it was in the normal range. However my symptoms have worsened since then. Is low FT4 connected with Hypo or Hyper would you say?

Bran'sNana 09-14-2012 12:19 PM

Low T-4 is hypo. It would go along with a higher tsh usually but not always. If you have antibodies for Hashimoto's disease the tsh can be all over the place. Do you know the lab ranges for that T-4? A FREE T-4 test is more accurate too.

AlexC1157 09-14-2012 12:26 PM

Sorry, but no. I am booking doctors appointment on Monday and going in finally knowing what to say and armed with your advice i may finally get somewhere. I will also ask for past results and post here when i get them. It will probably be sometime next week for an appointment and then 3 weeks or so before i get back the latest results but after so many years i can wait a few weeks.

Bran'sNana 09-14-2012 02:13 PM

Good for you Alex!:)

AlexC1157 09-24-2012 05:43 AM

Well i went to the doctors today and asked for the blood tests. I was then told that they wouldn't do a Free T3 as "they only do that when your outside the range" and they wouldn't do a free T4 as i have had it been done a few times before and i was "well inside the range" but tomorrow i will have a blood test for the antibodies and TFT. I also got some of my past results back.

>Free T4 range 12-23 may 07: 12 September 07: 14
>Thyroid stimulating hormone range 0.35-5.50 may 07: 2.05 September 07: 1.02

>CRP range < 7.7 September 07: 1.4

was told i had been tested twice in 2011 but i didn't receive these results.

I have been told if these comeback normal and my symptoms gets worse the doctor would rather focus on my "anxiety issues".

Bran'sNana 09-24-2012 07:24 AM

Oh boy....that say that to EVERYONE with thyroid issues it seems,but mostly to women. Then they throw us a prescrip for anti anxiety meds or anti depressants and send us on our way. This is typical! if your levels are at the bottom, that means they are too low for you. Like one veteran member on here says, that's like saying everyone takes a size 6-11 shoe and everyone could fit in ANY of those sizes cause it's in the range of normal shoe size!! It seems your tsh does jump around by your readings here of other tests. All you can do is try to stress your symptoms are that of a thyroid issue and maybe the doc could try you on a trial of replacement. The tsh is not what to go by in thyroid disease. You do NEED the frees done. That's what is circulating in your blood stream and what your body can utilize. Dumb docs!!

AlexC1157 09-24-2012 10:13 AM

Unfortunately the doctor i have at the moment doesn't seem to interested in doing all the tests again as i have been in the range. They don't seem bothered by the fact i am at the low end and feel bad. The doctors solution was to tell me to exercise more even though i told her i go to the gym 3-4 times a week, play sport for 45 mins on a Friday and walk to college. My parents are considering paying to have blood tests done by BUPA a private healthcare company in the UK, not sure if there is any BUPA centres in America, but i am starting to wonder if i am making a deal out of nothing and whether it would be a waste of money.

Bran'sNana 09-24-2012 01:20 PM

I'm sorry your docs won't help you. I would say if you do start to feel even worse,maybe have those tests done by that lab. We have something like this n the U.S. too. many have had these and paid out of pocket because they knew the tsh wasn't enough,or the docs wouldn't run the right tests. You DO seem to have symptoms of a sluggish thyroid,so keep after the docs to treat that and not throw some other meds at you that you probably don't need if you had optimal thyroid hormone levels. Let us know how it goes in the upcoming months.;)

AlexC1157 10-04-2012 10:23 AM

Well thanks for the help and advice but it appears to be a dead end. My latest set of results show:
Antibodies 1 and the range was <9
FT4 was 13.8 which i thought was at the lower end but when i asked to go on a trial to raise my levels i was informed the new range is 7.0 to 17.0........ i feel sorry for whoever is a 7.0
She then said she could refer me to a psychiatrist who could prescribe anti depressants or to take up ,martial arts, yoga or meditation to improve confidence and concentration.
Looks like i will just have to grin and bear it so to speak

Bran'sNana 10-04-2012 03:05 PM

I'm sorry to say you are one of thousands who are told"you need anti-depressants." when all they have are thyroid levels that are too low for them. You may be at the start of it and your levels might get worse in the coming months. I hope you get some help from somebody soon. I feel bad for you but know that most of us have faced this till we find a doctor who will listen.

KitsMn 10-04-2012 03:22 PM

It's possible you are in the beginning stages of Hashimoto's. You seem to be fluxing. Doctor's don't like to treat at this stage. Make sure your vitamin D level is good and if not, take a supplement, and also try going gluten-free. It will give you something to try while waiting for your numbers to get worse and the doctor to treat you. Who knows, maybe it will make you feel better. Lots of people swear it does. I'm going to try it as well.