It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

cypressmom HB User
I guess it's all in my head

I had my baby in 2010 and lost 25 pounds of the 40 I gained during pregnancy, then my day to day health total changed. I gained weight, diets wouldn't work, I have no energy to the point of feeling as if I had taken sleeping pills. I go to bed as early as 7:30pm some nights. I lack motivation like I'm depressed. I have sudden excessive hunger, if I don't eat something instantly then I will vomit and shake. My hands, feet and nose are icy at all times. I keep the ac vent shut off in my office and run the heater when I get too cold at work. Also, I began having horrible sinus issues and chronic bronchitis. My general practitioner decided I have asthma, no history of that anywhere in my family and she never did a lung blow test or whatever they are. When I wake up my eyes are dried shut and I have to have drops just to be able to blink. I take allegra everyday, it doesn't help but my husband thought maybe that was the cause of the weight gain so I stopped taking it and no change. I had my allergies tested and dust mites came back so I have encased all mattresses, pillows ect, we dust weekly, I have a air purifier, we use the best ac filters and change them monthly. Still no relief to any of it and this past month I gained 7 pounds for no reason.

I was telling my mom and she told me she's been on armour since feb for significant hypothyroidism. So I asked my general practitioner to run the tests and to be sure to include the free T3 and free T4. She said sure no problem! My results are below..... are these even the right tests? She said I was perfectly normal. I've scheduled a 2nd opinion and more tests with my mom's doctor (mom loves her and feels she is a very competent thyroid dr), perhaps I should have done that from the get go, but it's all the way across town (being houston that's a ways). I don't have that appt till 10/30/12, they are a bit busy. Otherwise I'm just going to resign myself to accepting the asthma diagnosis and start full treatment for that and see about getting some diet pills to maybe help jumpstart yet another diet and hopefully help with the hunger/appetite problem. Thanks in advance! I'm at my wits end!

Name Value Reference Range

T3 UPTAKE : 28 : 22-35 %

T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL : 7.1 : 4.5-12.0 mcg/dL

FREE T4 INDEX (T7) : 2.0 : 1.4-3.8

TSH : 2.16 mIU/L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: I guess it's all in my head

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmom View Post
So I asked my general practitioner to run the tests and to be sure to include the free T3 and free T4. She said sure no problem! My results are below..... are these even the right tests?
No. You should have had FreeT4 (direct, not index nor total T4) and FreeT3 (not T3 uptake) tested. Your TSH is a bit on the high side so that could indicate hypoT but you really need to have those right tests taken to get a clear picture. Also testing TPO and/or TG Ab usually tells us if there's thyroid autoimmune issue going on (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) which is the most common cause for hypoT.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
cnd1979 (11-01-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

No, those are not the tests you asked for. It's a worthless set of inaccurate tests that tell you absolutely nothing. Good move to see your mother's doc; it will probably pay off for you.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

cypressmom HB User

Thanks! will do! I was able to call my doctor back and ask if they still had the blood sample if they would please run the free t3. I figure if nothing else it'll give at least some comparitive data for the appt with my mom's doctor next month. I'll post again if those results actually come.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
(female)

cypressmom HB User
Re: I guess it's all in my head - update w/free t3

Name : Value : Reference Range

T3, FREE : 2.8 : 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

Okay here are the free t3 results. It does fall into the "reference range" so I'm sure my doc won't do anything about it, but maybe my mom's doctor will find it a little hypo? Or maybe I really am fine. My mom's problem is conversion, her t4 is ok/high but her t3 isn't where it should be based on t4 because her body doesn't convert well. which is why synthoid didn't help her, she had to be on armour.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
T3, FREE : 2.8 : 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

Okay here are the free t3 results. It does fall into the "reference range" so I'm sure my doc won't do anything about it, but maybe my mom's doctor will find it a little hypo? Or maybe I really am fine.
Your level really is on the low side so it's very possible for you to have hypoT symptoms. Good luck with the doc

Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Almost no one who gets a hypoT diagnosis has T4/T3 below the reference range. They are nearly always merely low in their ranges. So don't let any MD tell you that because they're in range that they're "normal". You have your own "normal". Saying that you are fine with T4/T3 just anywhere within the range is like saying you should be able to wear any size shoe within the standard size range... or that any weight between 95 and 260 lbs. is "normal" for you.

Keep pushing for that diagnosis! We're pulling for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
cnd1979 (11-01-2012), cypressmom (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
(female)

cypressmom HB User

***Update***

I went to my mom's dr who diagnoses and treats her hypoT with armour.... and the appt went alright, the dr asked me lots of questions and ordered just tons of labs, I think they took 8 vials of blood. She's doing pituitary labs some hormones labs and blood sugar and all the free thyroid labs as well as some allergy ones because it appears I'm getting yet another sinus infection, hooray.

So I'm one step closer but feeling apprehensive thinking about these results coming back.... it's funny no one should ever HOPE to have a disease or illness but I'm honestly hoping to have hypoT. The idea that I just need to suck it up with the fatigue and diet harder or force myself to socialize and force myself to work out..... it would take more than force, I would have to taze myself in the arse or something!! It's a seriously depressing thought, maybe I am just a lazy fat couch potato, ya know.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there, right now I just need to wait for the test results, hopefully they'll come in by next Wednesday.

I did buy the new fitbit one, it's supposed to be delivered today and help be a motivator to encourage me to take more steps in a day

Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... feeling apprehensive thinking about these results coming back.... it's funny no one should ever HOPE to have a disease or illness but I'm honestly hoping to have hypoT.
You certainly aren't the first person to voice that hope. I said it myself when I was battling for my diagnosis, and I've read it multiple times here on the board. It's definitely an understandable sentiment!

Let us know what the labs reveal.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
(female)

cnd1979 HB User
Smile Re: I guess it's all in my head

I just started lurking around on this board the past few days. I just said to my mom today that very same thing. I am hoping for a HypoT diagnosis because it is crazy to think that this is just my normal and that I am just that lazy. It feels really good to see someone else say it. (sorry you feel that way but glad you understand) My friends and family don't understand, they are just sick of me trying to diagnose myself but honestly nobody else seems up to the task. So reading everyone's posts, seeing that others are as clueless as I and some are extremely knowledgeable makes me feel a bit of hope. Thanks to all for the support. I cannot wait to learn more from you.

The following user gives a hug of support to cnd1979:
midwest1 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
(female)

cypressmom HB User

Finally got test results, there were so many so I'm just going to put these here, not much change from September tests in my previous posts in this thread....

TSH 1.77 range .4-4.5
T4 Total 7.5 range 4.5-12
free T4 index 2.2 range 1.4-3.8
free t4 .9 range .8-1.8
free t3 3.1 range 2.3-4.2
t3 total 95 range 76-181
t3 uptake 29 range 22-35
no thyroid antibodies, tested negative

so my TSH actually went down, it was 2.16 in September and a month later it's at 1.77, I didn't do anything different so that seems odd. The only thing that sticks out to me is that free t4 is almost below range. Unfortunately this was not tested in September so I can't compare anything.

My red blood count and hemoglobin are in range but on the low end so maybe a little anemic, Vit D and Magnesium were also in range but on the low end. So the doctor recommended OTC vitamin supplements but is not going to give me any RX treatments and said maybe to test again in a few weeks.

I guess I'm bummed because I just feel fat and lazy and unmotivated on my own. I have about 5 to 7 heart palpitations a day but neither of the two different doctors i have seen take any interest in that. Cholesterol and diabetes tests were normal so maybe I just beat to a different drummer Anyway, I did find some OTC thyroid and adenal supplements on amazon.com that I may try. I'm sitting here though with freezing hands and feet and tired and always hungry and depressed and my poor eyelashes getting thinner and thinner...

Reply Reply