It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
(male)

Bubbles85 HB User
TSH Normal but having symptoms

Hi, am new to the forum but noticed it has a lot of good information regarding thyroid dissorders so would appreciate any help or comments.

I've been having symptoms of a tyroid condition (Hyper/Hypo?) now for nearly four years that just seem to be increasing in number and serverity.

It started off with me becoming depressed and anxious for no apparent reason, for which i was prescribed anti depressants and betablockers by my doctor. I've not taken anti depressants for over a year now, but have continued with propranolol as it some what helps my symptoms altough has never solved any problems in reality

As time has gone by i've noticed other related symtoms starting to appear that are more than likely linked to the feelings of anxiety and depression. I'm always to cold or feel the cold really badly and am starving all the time. I eat an insane amount of food but remain slim/lossing weight. With out taking betablockers befor bed i wake up with head aches and brain fog. My skin has become itchy to the point of scratching my self red raw (especially my legs) and i'm often short of breath and shaky to name a few.

I've had two thyroid tests conducted and both times i have been told i'm normal. But if i were normal i clearly would'nt be in and out of the doctors complaining of these symptoms.

My TSH was 2.37mu/L what ever that means? Could some one with any knowledge or experience please help me out with any information. I'm quite fed up now and just want to feel like my self again befor all of this started.

Thank you.

I also forgot to mention that my Neutrophil Count was low if that makes any differance?

Last edited by Bubbles85; 09-17-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: TSH Normal but having symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles85 View Post
Hi, am new to the forum but noticed it has a lot of good information regarding thyroid dissorders so would appreciate any help or comments.

I've been having symptoms of a tyroid condition (Hyper/Hypo?) now for nearly four years that just seem to be increasing in number and serverity.

It started off with me becoming depressed and anxious for no apparent reason, for which i was prescribed anti depressants and betablockers by my doctor. I've not taken anti depressants for over a year now, but have continued with propranolol as it some what helps my symptoms altough has never solved any problems in reality

As time has gone by i've noticed other related symtoms starting to appear that are more than likely linked to the feelings of anxiety and depression. I'm always to cold or feel the cold really badly and am starving all the time. I eat an insane amount of food but remain slim/lossing weight. With out taking betablockers befor bed i wake up with head aches and brain fog. My skin has become itchy to the point of scratching my self red raw (especially my legs) and i'm often short of breath and shaky to name a few.

I've had two thyroid tests conducted and both times i have been told i'm normal. But if i were normal i clearly would'nt be in and out of the doctors complaining of these symptoms.

My TSH was 2.37mu/L what ever that means? Could some one with any knowledge or experience please help me out with any information. I'm quite fed up now and just want to feel like my self again befor all of this started.

Thank you.

I also forgot to mention that my Neutrophil Count was low if that makes any differance?

You need more than just a TSH test. Sounds to me like you have what soooo many of us have or had a one time: A TSH obsessed doctor.
In addition to a TSH, you need a Free T3, Free T4 and antibody tests to see if you have the antibodies that indicate hashimoto's or graves disease. The free's will give an indication of how well your thyroid is functioning. Most doctors are idiots in my opinion and don't know diddly about thyroid issues. I finally went to a naturopath who figured out what was wrong with me. DON'T let your doctor tell you to take antidepressents until you have been COMPLETELY tested for thyroid problems!
Most of us that have thyroid issues don't feel well if our TSH level is 1.0 or below. Mine is 0.09 & I feel pretty good at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to susieq0726 For This Useful Post:
Bubbles85 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
Quote:
My TSH was 2.37mu/L what ever that means?
TSH ie. thyroid stimulating hormone is produced by the pituitary gland and it's purpose is to do just that - make your thyroid work. Usually healthy people have their TSH around around 1 or max 2 so your level could very well suggest you're a bit hypothyroid. To get a better picture you'd need to have the actual thyroid levels tested - FT4 and FT3 - as TSH is just an indirect indicator of thyroid function.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
Bubbles85 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

Bubbles85 HB User

Thank you both for your replys. I will be in contact with my doc tomorrow morning to arrange another appointment and see if i can get these other blood tests done asap.

Its strange how my TSH levels indicate im towards the hypo side, when some of my symptoms would usually be associated with being hyper i.e weight loss and increased hunger.

My theory is that because im so cold all of the time my body is using my energy faster to try and keep me warm, thus increasing my appetite. Even on a warm day i can feel cold. I've always thought through my own research based on my symptoms that if there were a problem with my thyroid i would all most certainly be hyper.

It would explain why i can not take betablockers during the day with out feeling totally run down and falling asleep.

I will repost with my other blood test results once i have managed to get them done. Hopefully i can soon resolve all of these symptoms and put the last four years of feeling like crap behind me

Last edited by Bubbles85; 09-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Thank you both for your replys. I will be in contact with my doc tomorrow morning to arrange another appointment and see if i can get these other blood tests done asap.

Its strange how my TSH levels indicate im towards the hypo side, when some of my symptoms would usually be associated with being hyper i.e weight loss and increased hunger.

My theory is that because im so cold all of the time my body is using my energy faster to try and keep me warm, thus increasing my appetite. Even on a warm day i can feel cold. I've always thought through my own research based on my symptoms that if there were a problem with my thyroid i would all most certainly be hyper.

It would explain why i can not take betablockers during the day with out feeling totally run down and falling asleep.

I will repost with my other blood test results once i have managed to get them done. Hopefully i can soon resolve all of these symptoms and put the last four years of feeling like crap behind me

IF by chance you have the antibodies for hashi's, you could experience BOTH hypo and hyper symptoms. I have hashi's and while your antibodies are attacking your thyroid, you go through a hyper phase which in my opinion is the worst. Heart palps, anxiety, hungry all the time, blah, blah, blah. Then the next day you are freezing and can't get out of bed. Hashi's in the begining sucks. Medication and gluten free diet saved me.

The Following User Says Thank You to susieq0726 For This Useful Post:
ccb77 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
(male)

Bubbles85 HB User

Hello all, just a quick update on the TSH range i posted yesterday for my self. I've noticed that on the same results i also have a free T4 reading. They are both as follows -

TSH: 2.37mu/L Ref range (0.35 - 4.00)

Free T4: 16.0pmol/L Ref range (9.0 - 26.0)

Also my Neutrophil count is - 1.52 10*9/L Ref range (2.00-7.00) so is low.

Obviously both of the former results fall with in the "normal" range. Would you recommend i still consult my doctor for further blood tests? I'm obviously not happy with what they are telling me due to all of the symptoms i'm continuing to have.

Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited by Bubbles85; 09-18-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Your FT4 is below midrange so that would be consistent with hypoT too, but it is hard to convince most docs of a possible thyroid issue with these levels. Testing positive for thyroid antibodies (TPO and/or Tg Ab) might help.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
(male)

Bubbles85 HB User

Hi, thanks for the info thats a big help. This is all new to me (even tho my symptoms have persisted for four years as i had no idea what was wrong) so i 'm not to sure what all the facts and figure's mean.

I have another appointment to see my doctor booked for friday morning, so i will discuss how i'm still feeling and see if it's possible for me to have these other tests done based on the fact that my TSH is "high normal" and free T4 is "below mid range" and also accompanied by an array of obvious symptoms.

Has any one had any experience using these so called "natural" thyroid drugs such as Armour Thyroid or Nutri-Pak Thyroid? The latter is an over the counter version and the former is prescription only?

After doing some reading these seem a better option for many than T4 only type thyroid medication. Have any of you used them with success? Are they worth discussing with my doctor if i can get him to finally listen to me and admit there may infact be a problem with my thyroid here?

Last edited by Bubbles85; 09-18-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Reply Reply