It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cocoa, Florida USA
Posts: 1
Sybersusie HB User
Headaches & Thyroid

I've been having daily headaches for the past month.
I just found out they need to increase my thyroid medicine.
Does any one else get daily head aches like this from thyroid problems??
I appreciate your help!

Thank you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Yep. I sufferred with them everyday for about a month. They finally went away though. Get your increase and see if that helps.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 54
naturegal76 HB Usernaturegal76 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Yes! I'm still pretty new, just diagnosed in May and still hypo labs. However, just wanted to let you know that I too am having almost daily headaches. I never ever had a headache in my life before this thyroid mess. My headaches are moderate in pain but I am very sensitive to light when I have them and also have some dizziness that goes along with it. I hope we all feel better soon!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

I have hashimoto's so I get to have ALL the fun! Hypo/hyper, feel horrible, feel great, and all in the same day!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 54
naturegal76 HB Usernaturegal76 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

I have Hashi's too based on high anti tpo. Even though I feel hyper sometimes, my labs always show either hypo or euthryoid with low normal FT levels. How long have you known about your Hashi's? What treatment do you take for it, if you don't mind my asking. I was started on levothyroxine 25mcg daily for 8 weeks, then increased to 50mcg just on weekends and the doctor wants to keep it there, but my Tsh is still above 3 and my FT levels are always one tenth of a point from the low normal range. To top it off, I am very symptomatic. My main complaints are the dizziness, light sensitivity, heart palpitations and anxiety. I recently started a beta blocker and that did control my tachycardia which I developed after starting thyroid meds and it also decreased the severity of the heart palps.
I think the dizziness bothers me the most because there is nothing I can do about it. I've tried meclizine, no help. It just makes you feel so out of it and then I can feel myself getting anxious because I feel so out of it. I'm getting so tired of this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

I was ill for over a year and went undiagnosed. Idiot doctor kept telling me I was fine and my Tsh was over 4.6! Was in the ER over ten times with constant dizzyness, nausea, anxiety, heart flutters - I had it all. I finally went to a naturopath who figured it out. My TSH was still high, my Free's were in the basement and my TPO was 439. I take 1 grain of Naturethroid, vitamins C, D, B-12, calcium, zinc, magnesium & selenium. I also went gluten free. I was diagnosed in March of this year. The selenium has brought my TPO down to 237 and I do feel better. No gluten was a big life saver as well. It was aggrevating my antibodies and they were beating the hell out of my thyroid. I also do accupunture as that helps too. I still have my bad days, but it is better than it was.
Your dizzyness should go away once you reach your optimal medication level. Mine did. The tough part is finding a doctor that will let you increase enough to overcome the symptoms. Most doctors are obsessed with TSH levels and people with hashi's feel better when their TSH level is low or suppressed. Mine was .09 at my last lab (range: .34 - 3.0) and I felt great. Of course the doctor freaked and lowered my dose and I am having symptoms again.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to susieq0726 For This Useful Post:
naturegal76 (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 54
naturegal76 HB Usernaturegal76 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Thank you so much for the reply. At this point, it is just so reassuring to hear from someone else who had/has the same symptoms as you are. Most doctors I've talked to say dizziness has nothing to do with thyroid probs and I am like you and have a lot of symptoms that would typically be considered hyperthryoid, like the heart palps, anxiety, hand tremors. I've learned on this board that thyroid symptoms overlap. A lot of doctors don't seem to know this or else don't bother to tell you that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegal76 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. At this point, it is just so reassuring to hear from someone else who had/has the same symptoms as you are. Most doctors I've talked to say dizziness has nothing to do with thyroid probs and I am like you and have a lot of symptoms that would typically be considered hyperthryoid, like the heart palps, anxiety, hand tremors. I've learned on this board that thyroid symptoms overlap. A lot of doctors don't seem to know this or else don't bother to tell you that.

Most of the doctors I find are idiots and don't understand thyroid issues, especially hashimoto's. The dizzyness absolutely has everything to do with your thyroid. My dizzyness was very strange though. Not the spinning kind but more of an off balance feeling. Almost like I was wearing someone else's glasses. I wanted soooo badly to wish how I felt on my doctor so the moron would understand.
The symptoms with hashi's cross over from hypo to hyper. This too confuses the stupid doctors. I was hypo but having anxiety and the doc didn't get it. Once your meds get right you will feel better. You will still have your days, but at least I don't feel like death anymore. It was a tough year for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21
Tired63 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

OMG!! I have been having severe daily headaches for the past two months and am at the end of my rope. The are more of a sinus type of headache, especially my eyes and forehead. My eyes are also very sensitive to light. I asked Dr. if connected to Thyroid and she laughed at me. She referred me to an allergy specialist who put me on steroid nasal spray and decongestants, they help a little but the headaches keep getting worse.

I am just starting Hypo treatment and she just bumped me up to 75mcg of levothroid (by a different manuacture). I have not even received the prescription yet (coming in the mail)

I just had a phone appt with her and I complained again about my headaches. She now wants to schedule a cat scan of my sinus's. That seems so extreme. I guess I go through with it (unless insurance is a problem) as I can't bear these headaches any more.

Any input - I cry every day and I am a raving B#^$% to my hushand.

Thanks as always for listening.

Diane

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 54
naturegal76 HB Usernaturegal76 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Sorry you feel so crappy Tired63. While I am still struggling myself, I can't offer too much advice, but I did want to tell you that my headaches are also right behind my eyes and forehead, with light sensitivity. I thought at first it might be sinus problems, too. However, I've had sinus xrays and a CT scan and my sinuses are perfectly fine, so I believe mine are hormone (thyroid) related.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegal76 View Post
Sorry you feel so crappy Tired63. While I am still struggling myself, I can't offer too much advice, but I did want to tell you that my headaches are also right behind my eyes and forehead, with light sensitivity. I thought at first it might be sinus problems, too. However, I've had sinus xrays and a CT scan and my sinuses are perfectly fine, so I believe mine are hormone (thyroid) related.

Until I got my meds right the only thing that helped was Excedrin headache. Nothing else got rid of them. I had the same type of headache. In the forehead and behind the eyes. Alot like a major tension headache. They will go away eventually.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topsham, VT, USA
Posts: 12
losinghope37 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

I was just recently diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism in June ny a naturopath who finally tested my antibodies (after 15 yrs of trying get an answer for traditional docs). And I've had the same weird headache/ migraine episodes for years too. It's a strange pressure directly above and behind my eyes, upper sinus/nose area and forehead, and it even causes numbness. i end up squinting alot too because i feel like there is something pressing down on my eyebrows. And I get extreme light and noise sensitivity with it and feel so spacey like i've taken a really stronge sleeping pill or like i'm hungover (even though I'm most certainly not can't handle alcohol these days). i also wake up with a really swollen face and eyelids when this is going on.
its the worst feeling---I'm terrified of driving while feeling like this. its seems like these headaches are always worse in the mornings and slightly get better during the afternoon/evening hours.
Do any of you ladies feel like these headaches/eye/sinus pressure symptoms seem worse during ovulation and premenstrual times? That's when mine seem the worst. I'm not on any birth control pills so unfortunately i get all the nasty hormones fluxes all month long.
My naturopath prescribed Armour meds for me....but she admitted that she doesn't know how to dose it and kept me on the same 45 mg dose for the last three months. i actually feel worse now than i did back in June...I'm completely exhausted all the time, can't function most days---and really weak, i can't put my arms over my head for any length of time, my mood is all over the place, i'm achy all over and i have no libido what-so-ever...i mean my poor husband.
Now my prescription is up and i don't know which doctor to see....and Endocrinologist who might not recognize my slightly elevated TSH and hope that my antibodies are enough? or try another Naturopath that might know how to dose based off of my symptpms? i lived in a small rural with limited options.
any suggestions would be appreciated??
and i'm so glad to know that i'm not alone with these strange headaches because my family, friends and docs have always thought i was so strange!

Last edited by losinghope37; 09-27-2012 at 10:40 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to losinghope37:
Tired63 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,448
susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by losinghope37 View Post
I was just recently diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism in June ny a naturopath who finally tested my antibodies (after 15 yrs of trying get an answer for traditional docs). And I've had the same weird headache/ migraine episodes for years too. It's a strange pressure directly above and behind my eyes, upper sinus/nose area and forehead, and it even causes numbness. i end up squinting alot too because i feel like there is something pressing down on my eyebrows. And I get extreme light and noise sensitivity with it and feel so spacey like i've taken a really stronge sleeping pill or like i'm hungover (even though I'm most certainly not can't handle alcohol these days). i also wake up with a really swollen face and eyelids when this is going on.
its the worst feeling---I'm terrified of driving while feeling like this. its seems like these headaches are always worse in the mornings and slightly get better during the afternoon/evening hours.
Do any of you ladies feel like these headaches/eye/sinus pressure symptoms seem worse during ovulation and premenstrual times? That's when mine seem the worst. I'm not on any birth control pills so unfortunately i get all the nasty hormones fluxes all month long.
My naturopath prescribed Armour meds for me....but she admitted that she doesn't know how to dose it and kept me on the same 45 mg dose for the last three months. i actually feel worse now than i did back in June...I'm completely exhausted all the time, can't function most days---and really weak, i can't put my arms over my head for any length of time, my mood is all over the place, i'm achy all over and i have no libido what-so-ever...i mean my poor husband.
Now my prescription is up and i don't know which doctor to see....and Endocrinologist who might not recognize my slightly elevated TSH and hope that my antibodies are enough? or try another Naturopath that might know how to dose based off of my symptpms? i lived in a small rural with limited options.
any suggestions would be appreciated??
and i'm so glad to know that i'm not alone with these strange headaches because my family, friends and docs have always thought i was so strange!

It's sounds like you need an increase. I slowly went from 1/8 of a grain of Naturethriod to a full grain over a six month period. Best I have felt in a long time. I got myself a pill cutter and increased every two weeks by 1/4 until I reached 1 grain and most of my symptoms went away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topsham, VT, USA
Posts: 12
losinghope37 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

susieq0726...thanks for the reply! that's what i'm thinking too. and i do have a pill splitter....i have to split my pills now....i take 1 1/2 of 30 mg...to equal the 45mg.
so i'm curious though, do you have a doctor manage your med increases? or do you do that yourself?? I just feel so lost, because the doctors i've seen either haven't recognized my thyroid as a problem or don't know how to dose. so in order for me to get another prescription i don't know who to see. do you see an endocrinologist, a naturopath, etc???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco California USA
Posts: 18
Montie229 HB User
Re: Headaches & Thyroid

Your below-normal FT with TSH in "normal" gets you to subclinical hypothyroid, is what my endo has said. Your physician has you holding at roughly 32 mcg per day (25 per day plus the extra 7 per day you get by loading an extra 50 on weekends). In your shoes, I would insist on an increase that gets your FT up into normal and your symptoms alleviated, whether that's a step up to 37 per day or 40 per day etc for your next increment. A dose of 37.5 per day would be convenient - a 25 mcg tab plus a half tab. For me, if the dose is helpful I notice around day ten.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (313), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1009), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (760), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!