It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User
Ultrasound Question

Okay, I had a goiter ultrasound yesterday. Results were to go to doc this morning (Friday), so I'd hoped to find out so I wouldn't have to wait over the weekend. Naturally they did not call back and I'm frustrated not knowing.

So when she did the ultrasound, there were a lot of times it made a sound like a swoosh, like an email going out on a Mac computer. (I really wondered if the images were getting emailed as she did it!) But my question is, do all thyroid ultrasounds make that noise, or was that typical of sending images of nodules she saw? She would roll that thing around, and at certain angles send off a swoosh. There had to have been at least 15 or so of them, probably more. Or maybe she just sent photos in all directions even if no nodule showed?

Obviously desperate for *some* information!!! I am a researcher and sick of dealing with the health care system. I can't stand not having the data I need to get on with understanding my situation. Of course the imaging center is not allowed to give it to me. It's my freaking body right????!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

bethany79 HB Userbethany79 HB User
Re: Ultrasound Question

The noise you were hearing was more than likely the doppler. This checks vascularity and bloodflow. When I got my ultrasound I received a phone call 2 hours later and was called into my Dr. Office. I have a 2 cm solid vascular nodule. Had 1 fna inconclusive. Repeat fna in January.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

Oh and a radiologist doesn't read the images a doctor does it and writes a report which is then sent to your physician. Are you having symptoms or just thyroid enlargement?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

Thanks for replying. I'm going a bit crazy not knowing more. Would a diffuse goiter without nodules be checked for vascularity, or would they only be doing that if there are nodules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany79 View Post
Are you having symptoms or just thyroid enlargement?
That's a huge question. I have a lot going on with my health. Some unrelated, some I thought were other things and now have to wonder about whether they're my thyroid. One of my issues is I have limits to typing because of connective tissue problems and really need to rest, so other than start another thread on my mind, I think I'll wait until I know more about my test results before adding my symptoms. But thanks!!! Stay tuned...

Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofacouch View Post
Thanks for replying. I'm going a bit crazy not knowing more. Would a diffuse goiter without nodules be checked for vascularity, or would they only be doing that if there are nodules?

That's a huge question. I have a lot going on with my health. Some unrelated, some I thought were other things and now have to wonder about whether they're my thyroid. One of my issues is I have limits to typing because of connective tissue problems and really need to rest, so other than start another thread on my mind, I think I'll wait until I know more about my test results before adding my symptoms. But thanks!!! Stay tuned...
Absolutley. Hypervascularity is an indicator of autoimmune thyroiditis. Did you have any thyroid labs drawn yet? These would include tsh t3 t4 (prefferably FREE) Antithyroglobulin ab TPO.
I understand your concern. I also have a lot on my plate. Goiter nodule, GERD, Lyme. All symptoms r running together and its hard to tell what is what anymore. If I can help in anyway I will.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany79 View Post
Absolutley. Hypervascularity is an indicator of autoimmune thyroiditis. Did you have any thyroid labs drawn yet? These would include tsh t3 t4 (prefferably FREE) Antithyroglobulin ab TPO.
I understand your concern. I also have a lot on my plate. Goiter nodule, GERD, Lyme. All symptoms r running together and its hard to tell what is what anymore. If I can help in anyway I will.
Dumb ENT only ordered TSH. I knew better and thought about asking him to add the others. Then I decided to just get 'er done one step at a time. Now wish I'd gotten them all at once! TSH came back normal (also last Feb with blood spot and prior 5/11 with blood draw were normal). Feb 2012 blood spots: Free T4 = 1.4 (ng/dl .7-2.5), Free T3 = 2.4 (pg/ml 2.5-6.5), TPO = 15 (IU/ml 0-150 with 70-150 borderline). They have an * by TPO saying "for research purposes ONLY," so maybe that online lab is working out some new technique??? So those were earlier this year. Not sure how quickly TPO can go up. Haven't done the other two antibodies.

The same ENT dx LPR as distinct from, or a variation on, GERD. I also am now wondering if the thyroid could cause those symptoms. One weird one is an occasional crunch/grind sound in my throat, making me concerned the thyroid enlargement is putting some pressure somewhere. What imaging do they use to see if the enlargement is affecting the other structures?

Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
(female)

Your February labs show your ft3 is low. Your hypo! You need to have a full thyroid panel and see what is going on. Ft4 was on the lower end of normal. I do believe that the reflux may be a result of thyroid dysfunctional. The thyroid regulate metabolism so if it doesn't work right, nothing does.

The Following User Says Thank You to bethany79 For This Useful Post:
sofacouch (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

In a book I just found at Google Books, Thyroid Ultrasound and Ultrasound-Guided FNA, it mentions the early hyperthyroid phase of Hashimoto's. That's interesting. I think my symptoms tend toward hyper, but as you saw, last winter it was a lower than normal T3 and normal TPO. I was confused, so maybe I'm in the early phase of hypothyroid but with hyper symptoms??? Anyway, who knows, I'm so open to suggestion that reading symptoms can seem to cause them!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
(female)

And not every case is the same. Someone with hashis may expirience periods of hyperthyroidism as the thyroid is being destroyed, releasing excess amounts of hormones.
how long did they say it would take for your u/s results 2-3 days?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

That's the most frustrating part. US yesterday 2:30 she said doctor would have results by this morning (!), but his office didn't call me back with them by end of the day. I suspect they went to the office I saw him at and he was at his other office.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

I know you can be hypo with TSH in normal range, but I'd think it would be on high end of normal if not in the middle. Mine this week was 1.380 (.35-4.5), so low end. In May 2011 it was 2.630 (.45-4.5). Either it's trending down (which would be hyperthyroid???) or TSH just varies a lot within the normal range, so could be any old variable causing the difference? But the low T3 indicates hypo so I'd expect a higher TSH.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

Tsh is not really a good indicator of what is happening. Thyroid stimulating hormones is produced in the pituitary gland in the brain. Very high lvls of tsh would often be associated with very low numbers of you actual thyroid hormones T3 and T4(hypo). Very low TSH would indicate high numbers of of T3 and T4 (hyper).

For example my last labs showed my t3 and t4 ant the lower end of range, yet my tsh was pretty low. .653. So going by tsh doesn't always indicate what is really happening.

Am I making any sense? Lol!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I'm sure worried about finding a good doc who will not just say "looks good!" But I will work on that.

Reply Reply