It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
(female)

mrsbex HB User
Question New hypo sufferer here...

Hi,

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid this week after i noticed a small goitre, put two and two together with a raft of symptoms such as depression and total exhaustion, vertigo etc... and have been put on 50mg Levothyroxine. My results were T4 14.5 and TSH 7.35. The doc said that she'll do a more detailed blood panel in two months to test how my medication is going.

The doc said my pituitary gland was working overtime to make my thyroid work. I am quite confused by it all to be honest. Does anyone have a link to some information that I can trust? I don't like to just read anything I find on the net, you can't trust it all!

I can't wait to get some energy, my house looks like a bomb site and all I can do is look at it... How long does it take for the medication to have some effect? I suppose everyone is different and that is probably a stupid question!

Also, will the goitre go away or am I stuck with it for life now?

Thanks,
Beckey

Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: New hypo sufferer here...

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
TSH ie. thyroid stimulating hormone is supposed to do just that - make your thyroid work. When your thyroid is failing the pituitary gland releases more TSH to make it work but with little success. When you're looking for reliable sources you can pretty much trust what The Endocrine Society says or what's published on PubMed or by thyroid associations (there's one in the UK too, although their guidelines regarding the treatment of hypoT have taken a step back so those I do not recommend to be taken as the "ultimate truth"). Those sites that promise "natural healing" from thyroid autoimmunity I wouldn't trust or those who state that anything within reference is ok or that TSH is the only guideline. There is no black and white in "thyroid world" so keeping an open mind is good, not everything works for everybody and you'll have to decide what the best course of action is for You.

After a couple of months on this dose you'll know what it does for you, it's quite possible you'll need a higher dose (but no way of knowing before giving it a try). Take your med on an empty stomach with plain water hours away from other meds, calcium and iron supplements. Aim to have your TSH below 2 and your FT4 above midrange, in a place where You have no symptoms. Low TSH is ok as long as your freeTs are within range and you don't have any hyperT symptoms.

Your goiter may shrink when on thyroid medication but for your med to be succesful you'll need to have a low TSH (pushing your thyroid to work may have caused the goiter in the first place).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-23-2012 at 05:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
mrsbex (09-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

mrsbex HB User

Thanks for the info FinnMaid. I will get on with some reading now It's all so confusing!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. This is complicated stuff so going through everything on these boards is pretty much impossible. There are some basic thyroid books like "Thyroid for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Thyroid Disease" that you might want to look into (but keep in mind that the writers also have their own personal views on proper thyroid treatment so it's ok to be a bit doubtful about those views too )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-23-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Reply Reply