It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

asm505 HB User
My visit to the ENT

If any of you remember, I have a 3.9 cm nodule on my left thyroid. The endo that I seen was not very helpful and just wanted to wait 12 months to ultrasound again and wouldn't even answer my questions so my family dr. sent me to an ENT.

Here is the low down:

It is 3.9 cm so it is really up to me if I want to have it removed now or not. We could wait and see but he thinks I am heading down the road of having it removed at some point.

It is not cancer.

My hormone levels are normal.

I am only having minor issues with it...I can feel it a certain way I turn my head and swallow.

My concern is what if they take it out and I just have a bunch of other problems like fatigue, weight gain, loss of hair and they can't get it under control. Maybe these are vain things to worry about but I am.

I am also concerned because of some of the stories of hearing it is benign but then it really is cancer. My father died of cancer (not Thyroid but in his lymph nodes) when I was 15. I realize that it is very rarely life threatening but what if they are wrong???

Any words of wisdom?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
(female)

Gemsrite HB UserGemsrite HB User
Re: My visit to the ENT

That is a very big decision to make! You aren't vain in any way. Trust me those of us who are experiencing the things you talk about would give anything to not deal with those issues. If your Dr isn't overly concerned then I would think you have to decide how worried you will be about it if you don't remove it. If there is a possibility of it growing and it's inevitable that you'll need to remove it at some point it may be better to do it now before it's bigger and there are more risks to surrounding glands/tissues. I'd say you've gotta weigh your pros and cons and do some research on thyroid cancer and how often it is misdiagnosed. I have a friend that had thyroid cancer and they were only able to tell it was cancer when it was sent to the lab. Her ultrasound and FNA both either appeared to be a cyst or inconclusive. I'm not trying to scare you just letting you know it does happen. She went with the removal because she was worried and it was affecting her ability to swallow and it was very noticeable when turning her head etc. I hope that helps a little but I do think it's gonna be a very personal decision to make. If it was cancer it could be bad if you leave it. If you remove it and it's nothing you do run the risk of being hypothyroid. Good luck with whatever you choose and know that there are people here that care and are wonderful friends when you have questions, are feeling down, or need cheering up! They'll also celebrate your successes with you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
(female)

asm505 HB User
Re: My visit to the ENT

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have a lot of thinking to do before I make a decision. I'm going to take my time and do lots of research and not allow anyone to sway me one way or the other.

Reply Reply