It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

confusedinindy HB User
Lightbulb Hashimoto's and Type 1 Diabetes

I have a question but I first want to let fellow Hashimoto sufferers that Type 1 Diabetes happens often with people with Hashimoto's. I found out this the hard way and almost lost my life over it so I just want to make you aware. I had my thyroid removed in January of 2011 and in November became very ill. I was rushed to the hospital and found out I had Type 1 Diabetes. The doctor told me that if I had not gotten there when I did I may have lasted another two hours. I thought I was borderline diabetic and had no knowledge of the connection between the two. I was in diabetic ketoacidosis (diabetic coma caused by sugar being too high). The symptoms of this are weight loss, excessive thirst, excessive hunger.

My question is does having your thyroid out cure Hashimotos. I asked my Endo this and she said I will always have the autoantibodies but I'm not sure what this means. I had lost weight slowly after getting on the correct dosage of thyroid medication and then lost about twenty lbs the month I went into the diabetic ketoacidosis. My doctor took a TSH reading in February and lowered my thyroid medication and my energy levels dropped and I've gain fifty pounds. I read where after having your thyroid removed that you need to have your Free 3 and 4 T as well as TSH level to get an accurate reading. It's seems my TSH level changes from one month to the next while I was on the same medication. Can anyone explain this? I'm not sure if it is the change in my medication or having to use the insulin that has caused my weight gain but it is very hard to take. I haven't had an appetite so it's not from overeating. I just wonder if there is anyone else that has had problems with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashimoto's and Type 1 Diabetes

Patients with any kind of thyroid problem always need free T4 and free T3 monitored to determine the right dosage of thyroid hormone replacement. TSH alone is not enough for that purpose, because it can so often be inaccurately volatile.

If you want to know for sure if you're taking enough hormone to keep your metabolism running optimally, make sure your MD runs the FT tests and understands that these levels must be at least half the lab's range or above to be optimal... not just "adequate".

It doesn't really matter whether the Hashimoto's is gone or not. It doesn't cause symptoms in and of itself; symptoms happen after Hashi's has damaged or destroyed the thyroid gland tissue. In your case, surgery did that. The treatment is the same for Hashi's-caused thyroid damage or a missing gland.

Reply Reply

Tags
hashimoto's disease