It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

momo2020 HB User
Question Hashimoto's Suppression Therapy

Hello,

Last month I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's due to my high antibody levels. I had a thyroid ultrasound and my thyroid is enlarged and shows signed of damage and has a small nodule.

Although my hormone levels are normal, I so have symptoms and my doctor has recommended thyroid suppression therapy to help keep the thyroid from enlarging.

I'm currently starting on a low dose of Synthroid and am working my way up to a 88 mcg pill to help avoid side effects. So far on my first dose, I am feeling a little jittery, but have noticed an increased energy level and less puffiness in my face.

I would appreciate it if persons on this board can share their opinions of how well synthroid helps for suppression therapy when thyroid hormone levels are normal and share any side effects.

Thank you!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
(female)

Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Hashimoto's Suppression Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2020 View Post
Hello,

Last month I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's due to my high antibody levels. I had a thyroid ultrasound and my thyroid is enlarged and shows signed of damage and has a small nodule.

Although my hormone levels are normal, I so have symptoms and my doctor has recommended thyroid suppression therapy to help keep the thyroid from enlarging.

I'm currently starting on a low dose of Synthroid and am working my way up to a 88 mcg pill to help avoid side effects. So far on my first dose, I am feeling a little jittery, but have noticed an increased energy level and less puffiness in my face.

I would appreciate it if persons on this board can share their opinions of how well synthroid helps for suppression therapy when thyroid hormone levels are normal and share any side effects.

Thank you!
I don't know much about suppression therapy but I can say the biggest thing with hashis is you need to treat the immune system not just thyroid. For example taking selenium has been shown to lower antibodies, avoiding gluten as it aggravates Hashimotos. You have to figure out why your immune system is going whacko and its not "just because". Something triggers it. Trust me its possible for hashis to go into remission. I have not had elevated antibodies in 8 months. I did not have luck with conventional practitioners with my hashis. I found a holistic doctor that helped me immensely as well as educating myself about Hashimotos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Farrah10 For This Useful Post:
momo2020 (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
(female)

Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User

Also a great book on hashis is "why do I still have thyroid symptoms when all by labs are normal" by Datis Kharrazian. It's awesome!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Farrah10 For This Useful Post:
momo2020 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Are you on thyroid meds now? If not, you likely should be---what doctors consider "normal" numbers usually are really at the low end of the labs (you can post your numbers on here and maybe someone can comment.)

I bet this "suppression" would actually help you, because you will be finally treated. Having a low tsh is part of being treated in general with thyroid hormone for your hashimotos. I doubt you will even get "hyper"---so I would try it either way. And definitely post your numbers separate for people to comment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
momo2020 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes... Go with it!
You have symptoms because your hormone levels aren't your "normal". I'd bet the farm they are low in their ranges, which is normal for only perhaps 5% of the population. Healthy people generally have levels at least half the range and usually up to 70% or so of the ranges.

I don't want to burst your bubble, though... but that one dose didn't affect you except psychologically. It takes at least 2 weeks for most people to feel anything at all from a thyroid dose, and about 6-8 weeks for the full effect of that dose to be felt. It takes time and patience to see a turnaround, and usually it takes several dose increases before symptoms are completely eradicated.

Be thankful your doctor is treating you now. Wishing you good luck with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
momo2020 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

My hashi's is suppressed with 1 grain of Naturethroid. The trick is to start out slow and with a small dose. Increase slowly over time and you will start to feel better. Going gluten free and taking vitamins and Selenium is a biggy. It brings those nasty antibodies down. I also just had all my silver amalgam fillings replaced with white composite fillings and that has TOTALLY helped. Heavy metals (especially mercury!) isn't good for auto immune issues.
I feel sooooo much better now.

The Following User Says Thank You to susieq0726 For This Useful Post:
momo2020 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
(female)

momo2020 HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to continue taking the medication and see how I feel six weeks from now. I'm hoping to see improvement

I have heard about avoiding gluten in the diet, but I was told that was for individuals with gluten allergies only. I've been tested for a gluten allergy, as well as a slew of other allergies and I have none. Do you think gluten causes Hashi issues regardless?

The values my doctor considered normal were the following. I was told that some of the values are little off due to the effects of birth control.

TSH 2.7 Normal (.5 - 5.0)
T4 12.5 High (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 Uptake 21 Low (24 - 39)
Free T4 2.8 Normal ( 1.2 - 5.0)
TPO Ab 515 High (0 - 34)

Reply Reply

Tags
hashimotos, side effects, synthroid