It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

whaaaaaat HB User
Question TSH went from 4.9 to 7.3 in one month, some hyper symptoms while hypo?

Hey y'all. I'm hoping someone here can answer some questions for me. My mother has Graves' Disease (it hit her around the age I am now--I'm 28 and female) and, since I'd been having some symptoms (constant muscle twitches, shakiness, anxiety, inability to gain weight), I got my TSH tested. Much to my surprise, my TSH was 4.9--hypo, not hyper.

Now, I AM cold intolerant (I've always been thin), and for the past few weeks especially I've been more fatigued than I've ever been. I once thought I might pass out in the grocery store. Feeling very heavy. But I've also been VERY shaky and I've had a very rapid heartbeat.

Last night I was taking a walk with a friend and I suddenly felt like I was going to pass out. My heart was beating entirely too quickly and I got very dizzy and had to sit down. I walk all the time, for miles, and am in really good shape, so this was pretty alarming. I felt like death all evening and my friend convinced me to go to the ER. Sure enough, my TSH is now up to 7.3.

I'm not sure how high one's TSH can go before one, like, dies, but if any of you could tell me, that would be good. I was somewhat tachycardiac, so the doctor just sent me away with Ativan (!) and told me to get an appointment with an endo on Monday because I'm going to need to get more testing and go on meds ASAP.

Seeing as I don't have insurance (I do work), this is gonna be fun.

Any ideas on what may be going on here? Hashimoto's, perhaps? Have any of you had hyper symptoms while hypo? Do you think I'm safe to wait a few days until I can find an endo, or should I be on synthroid this very moment? I know a TSH of 7.3 is a definite cause for concern, but I'd like to know if I'm in immediate danger. Seeing as I went from 4.9 to 7.3 in a month, I'm guessing my levels are continuing to deteriorate.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: TSH went from 4.9 to 7.3 in one month, some hyper symptoms while hypo?

It sure would be helpful to have more on your thyroid than just a TSH. Most labs keep serum for 7 days before discarding. I would call and speak to the ER DR or nurse, and see if they would add on a free T4 and free T3, so the picture is more complete. It is possible something else is causing your tachycardia. Did they do a CBC in ER? Anemia can cause tachycardia too, as well as dehydration, low BP, etc. I would see an endo, but if you can have those other 2 measurements when you go it will speed things up.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

naturegal76 HB Usernaturegal76 HB User

Just wanted to let you know that I am hypo but have more "typical hyper" symptoms than I do the hypo symptoms. I have them both, don't get me wrong, but the hyper symptoms are more unsettling. Others on the board have shared that symptoms overlap and you can't rely on symptoms alone to be a good indicator. I would have SWORN last month that I was hyper. Went to my doctor with anxiety (for no good reason), hand tremors and resting heart rate over 100 bpm. Lab came back hypo!!
I have hashi's and you should probably get the antibody tests for that too because with hashi's you can have transient periods of hyperthyroid but be on your way to permanent hypothyroid. Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

As others mentioned above,symptoms can overlap and be deceiving. High heartrate,/palpitations although commonly associated with hyper, can occur in hypo just as well.
you might want to ask the endo to have all antibodies tested (both for hashi's: antiTPO and antithyroglobuline and for Graves being TSHreceptor antibodies or TSI).

you're not in immediate risk, so no worries in that regard. TSH 7 or something close to that sure can cause symptoms but it's not lifetreatening.

hang in there!

Reply Reply