It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Red face Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

After having my gallbladder out last year my body went nuts. Every test for cortisol has come back high but no one can find a tumor for Cushings...plus I have lost weight not gained it like a Cushings person would. Additionally I have significantly increased pulse and blood pressure, heart palpitations, anxiety, major insomnia, dry hair and hair loss, body temp regulatrion (hot and then cold in same room at same temp), heat is intolerable to me now, dry skin, abnormal periods, diarrhea, nausea and sweating. And my throat (I am guessing my thyroid) swells periodically throughout the day making it painful to swallow. BUT my blood work:
Free T4 = 1.3 (range 0.9-1.8)
TSH = 1.16 (range 0.40-5.00)
Total T3 = 86 (60-181)

How can I have so many symptoms of Hyperthyroidism but the lab work is all within the normal range?

Thank you for reading this and any input is appreciated. I feel so alone - I have been chasing a diagnosis and been sick for over a year. I spent 6 months going through gastroenterology thinking my nausea was the biggest probem, but then discovered the high cortisol - I have chased that for months and not found a cause...

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 87
Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kate1 View Post
After having my gallbladder out last year my body went nuts. Every test for cortisol has come back high but no one can find a tumor for Cushings...plus I have lost weight not gained it like a Cushings person would. Additionally I have significantly increased pulse and blood pressure, heart palpitations, anxiety, major insomnia, dry hair and hair loss, body temp regulatrion (hot and then cold in same room at same temp), heat is intolerable to me now, dry skin, abnormal periods, diarrhea, nausea and sweating. And my throat (I am guessing my thyroid) swells periodically throughout the day making it painful to swallow. BUT my blood work:
Free T4 = 1.3 (range 0.9-1.8)
TSH = 1.16 (range 0.40-5.00)
Total T3 = 86 (60-181)

How can I have so many symptoms of Hyperthyroidism but the lab work is all within the normal range?

Thank you for reading this and any input is appreciated. I feel so alone - I have been chasing a diagnosis and been sick for over a year. I spent 6 months going through gastroenterology thinking my nausea was the biggest probem, but then discovered the high cortisol - I have chased that for months and not found a cause...
First of all I have some similar symptoms and I feel for you.
You need to have your reverse t3, free t3, iron, and thyroid antibodies checked. Those numbers are very important when checking thyroid. Total t3 really means nothing IMO. I know the first stages of adrenal fatigue can be high cortisol. Have you done a saliva test for cortisol? It's been shown to be more accurate then blood test.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Farrah10 For This Useful Post:
1kate1 (10-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 111
RUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Hang in there. I had a tt in 2009 and ocasionally require medication adjustments. 2 weeks ago i had hyper symptoms and free t3 and free t4 were on low side but normal and tsh was 1.2. When my tsh gets below 1.5 i have hyper symptoms. Sometimes i think our own bodies are unique and what is normal for some is not normal for us.
Rufus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

I have done 4 24 hour urine collections and several 11 pm saliva tests and they all came back high for cortisol... but can't find a source - checked the pituitary, adrenals, etc... I'll ask for those other thyroid tests, thank you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

What is the "tt" you had in 2009?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 111
RUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Total thyroidectomy due to compression on my esophagous. I do fine except now and then it goes usually hyper on me. Just takes medication adjustments to correct. Hyper symptoms are not fun though. Have a good day.
Rufus

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to RUFUS100:
1kate1 (10-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to RUFUS100 For This Useful Post:
1kate1 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

I went to my PCP and handed him a list of the tests you suggested - he did those and them some, and I had an ultrasound. You have similar symptoms? My PCP mentioned something called "Hashimoto" Are you familiar with it? Would love to hear from you again :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 87
Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kate1 View Post
I went to my PCP and handed him a list of the tests you suggested - he did those and them some, and I had an ultrasound. You have similar symptoms? My PCP mentioned something called "Hashimoto" Are you familiar with it? Would love to hear from you again :-)
Good!!!!! Yes I had Hashimotos. Mine is slightly different as I have postpartum thyroiditis. So after each of my pregnancy my hashis flares but seems to go into remission after a few months-year. IF you have hashis it's wise to avoid gluten and supplement selenium. Some say selenium can lower antibodies so its worth a shot.
My symptoms are:
Adrenalin surges
ConstNt shortness of breath
Rapid heart rate at times
Intense pressure up neck and head
Palpitations that I can feel in chest, throat and head.
Weakness
Hair loss
Upper limb weakness
Unable to sleep bc I can't breath and my body wakes me in a panic many nights bc I can't breath. It's very unusual and scary.

It's do hard when you aren't getting answers. I've been to so many doctors too.

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to Farrah10:
1kate1 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Hi Farrah10,

I got back the ultra sound today and it had nothing significant on it, a couple of nodules and a cyst to "watch" Some of the bloodwork came back and it was all normal..the antibodies tests are not back yet. I am so dejected. The diagnosis of hasimoto fits me perfectly. I think I cycle between being hyper and hypo..maybe that's what is making the blood tests normal...but that won't get me any treatment from a dr. to feel better. I am really frustrated. I have been sick for a year! I, too, have seen so many doctors. I am starting to worry that I will feel sick like this the rest of my life, seriously, I am really worried about that.

Wow! Hashi and a newborn? That would be more than I can handle. How do you do it????

-Kate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 87
Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kate1 View Post
Hi Farrah10,

I got back the ultra sound today and it had nothing significant on it, a couple of nodules and a cyst to "watch" Some of the bloodwork came back and it was all normal..the antibodies tests are not back yet. I am so dejected. The diagnosis of hasimoto fits me perfectly. I think I cycle between being hyper and hypo..maybe that's what is making the blood tests normal...but that won't get me any treatment from a dr. to feel better. I am really frustrated. I have been sick for a year! I, too, have seen so many doctors. I am starting to worry that I will feel sick like this the rest of my life, seriously, I am really worried about that.

Wow! Hashi and a newborn? That would be more than I can handle. How do you do it????

-Kate
Could you post your lab test results? Sometimes what docs think are normal aren't. Would you consider seeing a naturopathic physician? That's where I've found the most help.
Well my baby is now 18 months and my antibodies are non existent so trying further out exactly what's causing my symptoms.

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to Farrah10:
RUFUS100 (10-04-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Hi Farrah10 -

I got the first part of my labs back. I don't know what they mean...

TSH 1.72 (range 6-40)
T4 total 6.3 (range 4.5-12)
T3 free 3.3 (range 2.3-4.2)
T3 total 78 (range 76-181)

out of range:
red blood cell count 3.7 (range 3.8-5.1)
Globulin 2.1 (range 2.2-3.9)
Absolute Eosinophils 14 (range 15-500)

Still pending...
The PTH, intact and calcium
T3 reverse,
thyroglobulin antibodies
cortisol am

I would be happy to see a neuropath but I am not sure what that is and where to find one....

-Kate

ps - what else are you doing to find out what is causing your symptoms?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,193
lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

I'm not Farrah but hope it's ok if I throw in my 2 cents.

Unfortunately the 'totals' aren't the most useful tests, it's best to have the Free's done. I noticed first time your Free T4 was done, but this time only total, unfortunately. Do you think your doctor would be willing to still ask to do the free (since not all results are in yet, the lab probably still has the blood samples so would be able to perform them on the same, but well it all depends).

Most people need their free levels at least midrange or higher in order to feel well. Your FT3 could be too low for your body's needs.your total is lower then midrange which makes me 'assume' like your free T4 will be too (yet always better to know and measure instead of assume).

Your TSH on the other hand is normal. Unfortunately all too many doctors focus on TSH.

Good to know in that regard is, TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, produced by the pituitary gland and not an actual thyroid hormone. It has no other function but to stimulate the thyroid to produce thyroid hormone.
the free levels (FT4 and FT3) on the other hand are the actual thyroid hormones, which cause symptoms when those drop too low for the body's need. TSH does not cause symptoms.

A full thyroid panel would be: TSH, FT4, FT3 and antibodies relevant for hashi's: antithyroglobulin and antiTPO (maybe ask to have the latter one tested next time too since I notice only the first ones mentioned).

hang in there!

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to lisa789:
1kate1 (10-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
1kate1 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,193
lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

a little addition since you mention hypersymptoms, please note hypo and hypersymptoms can overlap and be deceiving. Although 'standard' high heartrate is considered to be a hypersymptoms, in practice palpitations and high heartrate do occur in hypoT too;

in the beginning stage of hashi's (hashimoto) hyperflares aren't uncommon. either

That being said, in order to be sure, you might also have the Graves antibodies tested (that would be TSHreceptor antibodies or TSI).


Last edited by lisa789; 10-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 16
1kate1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Thank you!!! I just left a msg for my Dr. to add those to the lab tests. Hopefully he will be able to do it! I am happy to hear any and all input and appreciate the time you took to respond.
-Kate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 87
Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but blood test within normal

Kate yes you want frees done not total.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-04-2012 at 06:41 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Tags
cortisol, hyperthyroid



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!