It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

craiceann HB User
Gluten and Hashimotos

HI, I read somewhere that whatever is in gluten affects the thyroid and cannot find the post. Does anyone have any information on this or know if you need to be on a very strict glutenfree diet.

Does anyone have a contact for a gp in Ireland who will use Armour?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Gluten and Hashimotos

The reason gluten may be problematic if you have an autoimmune thyroid condition is because the molecule gliadin, which is the protein part of gluten, resembles the protein in your thyroid gland. If you are intolerant to gluten, your body develops antibodies against gluten. By definition, an autoimmune condition results from your own body attacking and destroying one of your own organs or tissues. The antibodies that your body develop against gluten may mistakenly attack your thyroid gland because of its similar structure, causing you to develop an autoimmune form of thyroid disorder, often called Hashimoto's thyroid disease or Grave's thyroid disease.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
craiceann (10-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There is no scientific, research-based evidence that a gluten free diet will help prevent or aid the treatment of any autoimmune disease except celiac. You'll find what are purely anecdotal accounts from some thyroid patients who swear that going gluten-free reversed their disease or made them "feel" better. But the placebo effect is strong, and people will believe what they wish. That doesn't make it so.

Fortunately, the research about gluten-free diet is moving along. Perhaps there will be a definite answer to the question sooner than later. Unfortunately, the budget for the study of autoimmune disease by the US Nat'l Institutes of Health continues to be less than 3% of the total. Unless some well-funded entity decides to step up to the plate and do the vital research into reversing the incidence of all AI diseases, we will continue to suffer.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

This information from a gastroenterologist might help. It's a reply to a question I asked him. The trophic hormones include TSH. I, for one out of many, don't need to wait for decades-long clinical studies to know that gluten affects the hypothalamic system. I have lived it. Having life long periods that could come in three month intervals and last a month suddenly be regular the first month I went of gluten is proof enough for me. In my view, the "gold standard" test for non-celiac gluten intolerance is to go off it and see if you are doing better. Then after a while, go back on it and see if symptoms return. Do this several times and you will know what's a placebo and what isn't. Even if it is, who cares if you're feeling better ;-):

Martha

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

The Following User Says Thank You to sofacouch For This Useful Post:
craiceann (10-03-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

craiceann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofacouch View Post
This information from a gastroenterologist might help. It's a reply to a question I asked him. The trophic hormones include TSH. I, for one out of many, don't need to wait for decades-long clinical studies to know that gluten affects the hypothalamic system. I have lived it. Having life long periods that could come in three month intervals and last a month suddenly be regular the first month I went of gluten is proof enough for me. In my view, the "gold standard" test for non-celiac gluten intolerance is to go off it and see if you are doing better. Then after a while, go back on it and see if symptoms return. Do this several times and you will know what's a placebo and what isn't. Even if it is, who cares if you're feeling better ;-):

Martha
That sounds like a good plan. How long would I need to stay on the diet each time?

Reply Reply