It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Has anyone found a doctor that does not focus on the TSH?

I have had that problem for years. It just makes no sense to me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lady50:
lisa789 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Re: Has anyone found a doctor that does not focus on the TSH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50 View Post
I have had that problem for years. It just makes no sense to me.
Yes they are out there. They are usually naturopaths tho not conventional MDs. Seeing in good alternative medicine doctor IMO is going to get you better thyroid treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

hugs I know how frustrated it can be. I agree it does not make sense, if one thinks about it for a second it does not make sense at all, let alone if one studies for it, but well.

yes they are out there, although rare.

Most doctors I've encountered could be placed under one of the 2 following categories (there are exceptions, fortunately):
1) conventional doctors focussing on TSH
2) alternative doctors not focussing on TSH and ignoring bloodtesting in general and focuss on symptoms alone.
In my experience the latter one can just as much be a problem as the first since it's exactly the combination of bloodwork and symptoms which is the key to success, even more so since symptoms can overlap and be deceiving.

Unfortunately not all doctors are thyroidsavy, if only but they are out there! Sometimes finding a doctor who's willing to work with the patient is already a big thing.

Last edited by lisa789; 10-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
hugs I know how frustrated it can be. I agree it does not make sense, if one thinks about it for a second it does not make sense at all, let alone if one studies for it, but well.

yes they are out there, although rare.

Most doctors I've encountered could be placed under one of the 2 following categories (there are exceptions, fortunately):
1) conventional doctors focussing on TSH
2) alternative doctors not focussing on TSH and ignoring bloodtesting in general and focuss on symptoms alone.
In my experience the latter one can just as much be a problem as the first since it's exactly the combination of bloodwork and symptoms which is the key to success, even more so since symptoms can overlap and be deceiving.

Unfortunately not all doctors are thyroidsavy, if only but they are out there! Sometimes finding a doctor who's willing to work with the patient is already a big thing.
I do agree that SOME NDs ignore blood testing but many do not. I've been to 3 and they all considered my bloodwork and symptoms. I personally think you have to do your own research and educate yoursleves but most NDs are more openminded so that's helpful. To orginal poster you can do a free 20 mintute consult with a ND to see If they'd be a good fit.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I'm talking about most doctors I encountered, not everybody, not all. What i said above is what I encountered (can only talk for myself and if I would have found a good one with the first I would not have encountered the others).
The above mentioned is unfortunate because neither works.

Yet let there be no misunderstanding I'm not a big fan of endo's and most ND's (is that the word) are more openminded, willing to listen and a lot find the solution there.

The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
Farrah10 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah10 View Post
Yes they are out there. They are usually naturopaths tho not conventional MDs. Seeing in good alternative medicine doctor IMO is going to get you better thyroid treatment.
Where does one find a naturopath? I doubt they're covered by insurance. Are they able to prescribe medication?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnap View Post
Where does one find a naturopath? I doubt they're covered by insurance. Are they able to prescribe medication?
What state are you in? One way is to call a pharmacy and ask for doctors that prescribe armour or naturethroid. It's often NDs or more thryoid savvy docs who prescribe that. You could also try a google search with something like natropaths in (city) that specialize in thyroid or something like that.
Actaully some insurances will cover. I have to pay up front with my insurance but I send a super bill to my insurance and they reimburse me at 80%. Even If they didn't I would still see a ND though. Yes they can prescribe meds.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah10 View Post
What state are you in? One way is to call a pharmacy and ask for doctors that prescribe armour or naturethroid. It's often NDs or more thryoid savvy docs who prescribe that. You could also try a google search with something like natropaths in (city) that specialize in thyroid or something like that.
Actaully some insurances will cover. I have to pay up front with my insurance but I send a super bill to my insurance and they reimburse me at 80%. Even If they didn't I would still see a ND though. Yes they can prescribe meds.
I'm in Ohio...I tried that idea with finding a doctor, but the pharmacist said there was no way they could search for a doctor that way. I don't know if she was just being "protective" or really didn't know how. I'll try googling Columbus, Ohio naturopaths. I have a medical account with my insurance that I can access for certain medical costs...maybe they will cover naturopaths. I'll need to look into it. Thanks for the info!

Reply Reply