It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User
t3 and t4

Is there a free and non-free version of each? Or are all references to t3 and t4, whether or not they say "free" t3 and t4, referring to the free version?

TIA, Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: t3 and t4

when it concerns the free version, 'free' somehow will be mentioned. there is also 'total', but you want to have the frees tested.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sofacouch HB User

Shoot, I was afraid of that. I was go glad my PCP was ordering all these labs when my TSH was normal that I forgot to ask him specifically for *free* T3 and T4! Will I have to ask him regardless? I supposed sometimes things will show in the total? I read about the T3 and T4 connected to proteins not being available to tissue, but elsewhere by a scientist I read that there's an enzyme that cleaves the hormone from the protein when it's need at a site. Don't know what to think now.

Martha

Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Total ie. "plain" Ts measure the total amount of hormones (so the amount that's bound to carrier proteins and the free amount), "free" Ts the free ie. the amount that's available for use. So you really want to know the free amount.

Reply Reply