It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

limecube HB User
Tired of being tired. Help please!

Hi everyone,

I've had hyperT twice during the past three years and was on medication for 8 months and 3 months respectively.
Now, my thyroid hormone levels are normal but I have been suffering from all sorts of symptoms for the past year including:
overheating, unable to sweat, severe fatigue, eye pain and swelling, IBS, dizziness, weak legs, tightness around the neck, muscle and joint pain.

These are my recent labs.
TSH 1.834 (normal)
Free T4 1.38 (normal)
Thyroglobulin antibodies 281 (high)
TPO antibodies 68 (high)

Also, my doctor told me that my thyroid is slightly enlarged and the surface is a bit rough after performing an ultrasound but insists that my symptoms are not thyroid-related since my hormone levels are in normal range.

I went to five different doctors but all I've heard is that I have a "possible" case of Hashimoto's disease, don't stress, it may be all in your head.
The only stress factor in my life right now is my worsening health condition and it's really starting to drive me crazy!

I feel totally lost and all I want is to feel well.

I would appreciate any comments, advice, knowledge, etc.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to limecube:
lisa789 (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Tired of being tired. Help please!

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

Your elevated antibodies point at hashimoto.

Do you have the reference ranges goign with FT4? If so can you please post them.

hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

limecube HB User

Hi lisa789, the reference ranges I have are

TSH †0.3-3.5
Free T4 †0.7-2.0
TG Ab †<60
TPO †Ab<50

Last edited by limecube; 10-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Theres a good book out that you can get at the library about why you may still have symptoms. I dont think the board rules allow me to give you the name but check out yourlibrary.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
(female)

limecube HB User

Thanks for replying, sandi2932. I am currently in Asia so I don't think I will be able to find the book here. I've visited and emailed many local doctors, searched through the web, and this board is all I have left.

I practically lost all hope of finding the right doctor after having endos listen boringly to my symptoms and then say "It's probably stress" without even bothering to take their eyes off the computer screen.

On another note, I got my hair mineral test results back this week. The GP explained that I have a sluggish thyroid and adrenal glands pointing at all my significant mineral ratios which were off the charts (very high Ca/P, Ca/K, Ca/Mg with low Na/K and Na/Mg) and started me on vitamins A, D, selenium, and magnesium supplements.

Can taking the right supplements help alleviate symptoms or will I eventually need separate treatment for my thyroid?

My full time job is becoming overwhelming with the symptoms but I have no clue what to tell my boss without any clear diagnosis.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your bouts of hyperthyroidism and mention of eye pain and swelling make me wonder if you might have Hashitoxicosis instead of the simpler Hashimoto's. Get someone to test you for TSI and TSH blocking antibodies.

[Lisa789, what do you think? I don't want to lead limecube astray.]

Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

although your FT4 is within normal ranges, it's just midrange with those reference ranges. Most need their free (that's what the 'F' stands for) at least midrange or higher in order to feel well so it's possible it's too low for you and causing symptoms.

the 'swelling' of the eyes do you mean puffiness or otherwise?

i agree with Midwest that it would be a very good idea to have your TSI or TSHreceptor antibodies tested.

Supplements wont be sufficient. If one lacks thyroid hormone the only thing that can replace it is thyroid hormone. (and speaking of supplements be careful with iodine, not recommended in case of thyroid dysfunction)

Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

limecube HB User

By 'swelling' of the eyes, I meant mostly puffiness. My eyes burn, ache, and are sore at the same time and they feel very heavy.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I will try testing for TSI and TSH receptor antibodies.

Reply Reply