It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
(female)

tanmansmom HB User
Smile New to Thyroid Nodules, waiting for FN biopsy results

Hello:

I found this site while searching the internet, trying to learn about thyroid nodules. I recently went for an MRI of my cervical spine, d/t pain & muscle tightness. In the report, it mentioned that a nodule approx 1 inch had been found on my right lobe, I was referred for an ultrasound 2 weeks ago, and then an endo, who I saw today. I didn't get to see the ultrasound report, but the endo did say the report strongly recommended a fine needle biopsy and he agreed. They did the biopsy right after my visit with the dr. Both dr's agreed the nodule what somewhat large, said it was complex, and dr stated during procedure that he was trying to reduce the size by removing fluid but it was solid. Nurse also said (to dr.) she saw some "deterioration or disintegration" ( i think that was the word used). Just curious what that might mean. Now comes the waiting process, said it would be 7 days at the most, and they would call me with results. I guess my question is: does the fact it is solid lean more toward it not being benign, and does the "disintegration" mean something bad? I am sure it will be fine, but just thought I would ask people who had more experience than me in this.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: New to Thyroid Nodules, waiting for FN biopsy results

Those signs don't mean all that much, it can still be benign--often the only way you know is removal of the entire lobe, especially when you have such a large nodule. Sometimes these things grow on the thyroid for no reason, but sometimes they grow very large and out of control, even if they are benign.

I doubt you have to worry about thyroid cancer at this point, but if you do, it's a curable and relatively easy to treat cancer, not at all like other types. I had it almost 8 years ago---I'm no worse for the wear.

Just take it one step at a time, you won't know, until you know, so just take this time to enjoy your life, and not think about things you can't change.

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
tanmansmom (10-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
tanmansmom (10-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

tanmansmom HB User

Well, the result of my biopsy was a rare, benign cellularity, and have been scheduled for repeat FNA. Dr said basically it was as if they needed 30 cells(for diagnosis), and they only got 10. My question would be, then, wouldnt that be inconclusive or undetermined rather than benign? Also, what does cellularity mean?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

kdawg304 HB User

Well that is good news.

I would assume that "benign cellularity" would just mean that the pattern and makeup of the cells is consistent with benign nodules, not malignant ones. I'm no doctor, but from what I understand a "benign" lesion can at a later date morph into a malignancy, so it is a good idea for them to watch it to make sure it doesn't start to turn cancerous, since it may be one of those rare types of nodules.

I hope that helps! I had a thyroid ultrasound on Friday and am waiting for the doctor to call for the results. When I get them, I'll post! How long did it take for you to get your results from the doctor after you did your ultrasound?

Reply Reply