It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: lab results, but still have symptoms :(

I cannot know for sure whether those TSI Ab are the cause of our certain 'turning point' (by lack of better wording), but I suspect it pretty much has to be. They appeared to be the complicating factor in general so I guess it makes sense. I wondered already quite a bit about the why (from a theoretical viewpoint it's intriguing - in practice less )

If I do look back at my whole thyroid history I guess it makes sense: (short summary)
- phase 1 teenager (suddenly very sick, not gradually,debilitating, - diagnosis hashi's but hindsight that was hashitox already (which I once discussed with Elaine and she agreed)
- years in between: that 'accute' phase was over (which makes sense since Graves can go in remission - also there is a study on children with hashitoxicosis and it does fit this scenario). I guess looking back I was mainly hypo (but not overwhelming), with hyperflares and during the years hypo (or symptoms) slightly increased. I functioned though lived life and did not even think of thyroid (the symptoms I associated with thyroid where those of phase 1 - in the meantime I know better but at the time did not )
- phase 2: years later/the moment I got sick again,was exactly like phase 1 which was the reason why I recognized it. history repeated itself and now I know better.

So yes I think it's when those TSI's flared up (and the pull push game started) I went out again. I pretty much see no other explanation. because in the years in between I recognize how the hypo symptoms sneaked in but it was different then those ‘phases’ so to speak.

now as a positive note: no matter the scenario one is dealing with, when it's thyroid with proper treatment thigns will get better!

ok sorry this got longer then intended and Fresno have no intention to take over your thread whatsoever but maybe it contains something useful for somebody so well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
(female)

Gabriella777 HB UserGabriella777 HB User

Dear Lisa and Midwest,
Could you please explain what you mean by TSI Abs for those of us who might not be that familiar with the lingo?
When I was tested for hashimotos the lab report read:
Thyroglobulin antibodies and Thyroid Peroxidase Ab.
Is this the same as what you are speaking about? Do different states/countries call the same test by different names?
Thank you kindly!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Hi Gabriella,

the antibodies you mention are the ones relevant for hashimoto.
The TSI/TSHreceptor antibodies are the ones relevant for Graves,a person with solely hashi's wont have those.
there s such a thing (not too common) in which a person has both (hashitoxicosis), as a transient phase or existing on its own.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
Gabriella777 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
(female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User

is there light at the end of my tunnel? im currently looking for a doctor to treat me based on my symptoms. im miserable. midwest and lisa789, what meds are you currently taking? and has it helped? gabriella777, u give me confidence that i can feel better after im on meds.

The following user gives a hug of support to fresnogirl:
lisa789 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes there is light at the end of your tunnel and no matter how miserable you feel now (hugs) you will feel better if you receive proper treatment (medication).

I think it might be an idea to look at other doctors then endo's too. Holistic, naturopaths, ask the pharmacist whether they have knowledge of a doctor prescribing armour or T3 medication (not saying you need that but most of the times those are more thyroid savy).

things will get better!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

if I google 'Fresno thyroid top doctors" I do get some results on thyroidinfo website. maybe worth checking it out? (there are also others but I have no idea which would be a location close to you or not) i do notice a doctor Work using Armour; Srikanth seems to listen to symptoms.
I just got this from google so please note have no experience with those doctors

considering the fact that your TSH is normal you need one who looks further then TSH.

hang in there

Last edited by lisa789; 10-14-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
(female)

Lisa,
Ive been off my birth control since 9/6 because i thought it was causing my urticaria only to find out it was kind of related to my thyroid problem. i got a prescription to be back on my original birth control and got my period today. will taking birth control affect my thyroid issue/symptoms? the birth control i stopped on 9/6/12 was a trial (Loestrin) to see if it
could help with my painful cramps. Im currently back on my original pill (Trivora).

Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
(female)

yes, yes, yes...there is light at the end of your tunnel. It makes sense you would want the best, fastest treatment you can find. What I have learned is we make the best decision possible with as much information we can gather. Listen, I know it can be a struggle to have hope when you do not feel well with so many symptoms. The best I could do when I was feeling the way you do is research, ask questions, see what makes sense at the time and take a med. If that med does not work for you, it can be changed.
Question away my dear..do not hesitate. Question people here, the Doctor, everyone.Learn from me. 6 months ago I did not question the Doctor. After researching like crazy I will not just accept his suggestions without question.
As you can see, many people are still questioning and searching. Seems to be the nature of this thyroid disorder.
Just know for sure, I promise you, there will be light at the beginning, middle and end of your search and you will have an "ah hah" moment.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there,

Yes birthcontrol does have influence on the levels but have to think in which direction again. I would not worry about that too much though since it's a consistent thing.
this is just my personal experience, I stopped birthcontrol hoping it would help, ow my it only made me more unstable, periods got even more heavy, more cramps, constant migraines, anyway point being it only made me more miserable. (3 weeks out of 4 things got messed up even more). tried another brand which did not help either, non stop migraines. I'm back on my regular one (for a long time again) and for me that's just what is best, for now that is. so influence yes but does not have to be a bad thing. Cannot talk for others though, but do what feels best to you. If you feel best on BC, be back on BC,just my 2 cents.

uhm as for Vit D (sorry must have overlooked that earlier), I think you best check into Vit D3 and 5,000 daily is to my knowledge a good dosage to bring things up.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
Hi Gabriella,

the antibodies you mention are the ones relevant for hashimoto.
The TSI/TSHreceptor antibodies are the ones relevant for Graves,a person with solely hashi's wont have those.
there s such a thing (not too common) in which a person has both (hashitoxicosis), as a transient phase or existing on its own.

Lisa,
How does one know if they have Graves or toxihashicocis?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
(female)

gabriella, thank u again for giving me some hope. i just really hope this all thyroid related. the fatigue, aches.. thats what gets me the most. have those resolved for u while on Armour?
Lisa, thank u for looking up the dr for me in fresno. i actually asked my primary to refer me to her and she willingly did. thank god. i will also continue taking my birth control tonight. i hope it doesnt cause me anymore trouble regarding my thyroid issue. Are u also on any medication? and are u still having hashitoxicosis flare ups? were u thinking of getting a TT? or have u already done it?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
(female)

dear fresno,
Some symptoms are getting better pretty quickly for me on Armour, I am surprised. Some aches, like my feet hurt are still there, but other aches and fatigue have gotten better. (I think I really needed the T4 to have some thyroid hormone balance.) I am going to be patient and keep a diary to see what has improved and what has not. Usually when I do see a Dr. I walk in with a list, as my memory needs a little help! Wish you all the best fresno gal.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
(female)

gabriella777,

thanks for the support and advice. do you have any other disorders along with hashi's? i feel like my extreme fatigue could contribute to something more than just my thyroid alone. i am going to ask my primary care doctor to run more tests for autoimmune diseases to make sure. (lupus, ra, ms..lymes?) my symptoms vary but i feel like im going to get better once i get started on meds. i didnt read back but did i ask if u were every on synthroid? do u take any supplements? Magnesium, vitamin d, vitamin b12, selenium?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #29
(female)

Hello dear Fresno,
You are good to think of these many aspects...on the right track. To answer your questions...
Yes, I have been diagnosed with other "auto immune" diseases. Celiac disease for example, when and if I eat any gluten, mainly wheat, my body reacts to it with itchy rashes which appear sometimes on back of my legs, knees, arms...oh yeah lots of fun. At one time I was diagnosed with "chronic fatigue" syndrome, a Dr. in NY told me it was an autoimmune problem. (There are times I think my immune system is off because I was not breast fed. When a baby is breast fed they get what is needed for a strong immune system. And if GMO's were part of the formula given to me, what kind of start does that baby have?)
As you can see, you can research to your heart's content, or as much as your pretty little brain can handle in this thyroid confusion, but there will be times when you come to a place where your instincts tell you something that clicks for you. Your extreme fatigue could simply be the thyroid or as you are questioning something else. I know sometimes it is hard to believe the thyroid can make you so exhausted.

Very good to take a look at your diet and supplements. Yes, I have low vitamin D which is common in thyroid disorders. I take Vit D3. (quality of supplements matter, I like Procap Labs by Andrew Lessman, he will be on HSN this coming weekend...no additives which helps a lot)
B12, yes, I used to get shots at the Dr. and take B12 supplements. Now I actually inject myself in my thigh with B12, Dr. gave me a script for it. Gives me energy in the afternoon.
Magnesium is amazing. A bath in Epsom salts will relax you and give you the magnesium you need. This is what I do and it works for me. Put some hot water in the tub, with at least half of a box of Epsom Salts. Then add 1/2 box of Kosher salt. Mix it up with hot water. Say there is 2" of hot water in tub, get in the tub. When the water cools a little, add more hot water. Do this repeatedly, the idea being keep the water as hot as you can take it. I stay in that tub for at least 1 hr, sometimes longer. I light candles, play music to relax. Not feeling well can take it's toll on your nerves. When I do this bath I sleep like a baby at night and wake up in a very good mood.
Be careful of magnesium supplements if you choose that route. You want to take magnesium glycinate if you are going to take it in high doses, magnesium oxide or other forms of magnesium at high dose (800 mg) may cause urgent loose stools which you do not need. (blood work can tell you whether you need more of any supplements)
Selenium, yes again, taken as a supplement. I also take Omega 3, good for depression and oh so many other things as well. Good to take if you are not a big fish eater. (Lessman's no flavor brand is best for me)
One other item you may want to look at it gluten in your diet. A few books I have read stated that in some people their body sees the gluten similar to thyroid and will attack the thyroid as a foreign object. Some authors say gluten can have a reaction within the body for up to 6 months after eating it.
A high protein, low carb diet seems to make sense to me, it seems I feel best on that. I have also studied green juice fasting, have fasted on juice for different periods of time. Felt very good doing this as well.
I did not feel well on Synthroid, so I stopped taking it. That is the thing about this thyroid disorder. You can always change what you are taking because we are all different and what works for you may not work for another.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-17-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Reply Reply