It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

AgedFlowerChild HB UserAgedFlowerChild HB User
Hypothyroid?

2 1/1 years ago I found that what I always called WINTER BLUES didn't go away in april as it usually did. I wentto see my dr. and his PA told me that I needed to take some black kohash, vit b12 and D3.... I did and it didn't work. I went back and told them that I thought it may be a hormonal problem (I had a hysterectomy 30 yrs ago and was left with 1 ovary).
I was put on cymbalta,
a year later, again in spring I had been working out regularly and was in excellent physical condition. I had went off of the cymbalta but decided I needed to go back on as I was having emotional issues again. I was also having joint and muscle pain that seemed to hit wherever and whenever it wanted to.

My dr ran some tests and I had a positive ANA test and was sent to a rheuma tologist.

Still working out I got what they htought was a sinus infection and after 3 different antibiotics I still had "a river of drainage" in my throat, virtigo and began to gain weight. No relief from the joint or muscle pain which kept getting worse. I was tired all the time and felt less and less able to tolerate exercise.

Rhemy said that my symptoms were 'lupus like"

started me on plaquinel and gave me a six day run of prednisone that made me feel great... for a few days.

Meanwhile the skin on my face, around my mouth started getting thicker... not tight like scleroderma but thicker. bruises wouldn't heal... a big bite lasted for months, had livedo reticulas,

it goes on and on and now I am on methatrexate, plaquinel and another antidepressant. ...
I have gained weight from a size 4 to a size 12with no end in site.
I asked my dr to check me me thyroid.
test all came back normal (tsh, comprehensive metabolic panel, t4 free, t3free, parathyroid hormone intect, thyroglobulin ab and thyroperoxidise antibodies all within normal ranges.

any ideas folks.

My symtoms keep getting worse.

I also look much older than I am, have started getting areas where Im losing pigment. have some kind of psorisis or rash making me elbows raw and am lazy, have lost interest in running ahome business that used to make me thousands a month.... just too tired and scatterbrained to care I guess. Have no patience with my grandies and every day feel like I am just too lazy ot care about thigns!! Even avoid contact with my kids and grandies most days...

Any ideas? If it is my thyroid or adrenal glands why does't it show in the tests. If it is lupus why do I gain weight when wieghtloss is a major sign of lupus and other autoimmune deseases? Help... please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid?

Please post the results and ranges for TSH, free T4, free T3, and the antibodies. They absolutely may not be as "normal" as you're led to believe, and we can help you determine if your MD is missing something.

TSH above 2 is suspect, even if it's still within range.
Free T4 below 50% of its range is too low for most of the population. (50% of a .8 - 1.8 range is 1.3.)
The same goes for free T3. (50% of a 2.3 - 4.2 range is 3.25.)

You say you have positive ANA. ANA will often be positive when there are titers of organ-specific antibodies like thyroid Abs. ANAs are "non-specific", meaning they only signal there is some autoimmune response happening but not which one. It's possible your thyroid Ab tests appear negative because of the inherent error rate in those tests.

I won't say with certainty there's something 'thyroid' going on, but there certainly could be.

Last edited by midwest1; 10-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Reply Reply