It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

lowkt HB User
Fed up 20 year old who's desperate for some help with hypothyroidism

Hi everyone. It's nice to say hi after lurking around for so long.

My medical history is miles long, but I'll try to sum it up quickly:
  • Endometriosis, diagnosed November 2011. Lap done, endo removed.
  • Glandular fever/EBV/mono: 3 times in 2 years, all with a positive blood test to support the diagnosis. Needed to be hospitalised for all 3.
  • In the past year: 3 rounds of treatment for severe iron deficiency. Severe vitamin D deficiency in July this year, received treatment and vit d is back in normal range. Too many instances of b-12 deficiency to count, all treated.
  • Received treatment for depression twice before, both for post-viral fatigue depression and chronic fatigue (so many instances of "chronic fatigue", it's crazy). Am currently being treated for depression again, but this time it's a lot worse. Previously I was on 50mg Zoloft, I'm now on 100mg and am still depressed. Considering upping to 125 or 150, but I don't want to mask my symptoms and pretend everything is ok.
  • I've gained 10kg in 5.5 months. While yes, some of it could be lifestyle, on my 161cm frame, 10kg is a quite a lot. I've been on three rounds of prednisone (steroids) during this year, but the GPs disagree as to if that could account for my weight.
  • Thinning hair, dry skin, every joint aches, sore neck, tired no matter what.

I've also had a sore throat on and off for the past year, and I went back to an ENT 3 days ago. I have an infected tonsil, which caused my throat to swell and hence the pain. The thing is, I had my tonsils removed when I was 3, and had surgery to removed infected tonsil remnants last year (I'm studying opera, so a sore throat is a big deal). This is what leads me to where I am today:

Last week I went to see an "out of the box" GP, who agreed that my symptoms sounded very much like a thyroid issue, and ordered some bloods. But when he saw them today and heard about my throat, he backtracked. Because I've moved country this year and no one has listened to me, my results are from all over the place (and we just gave some that we don't have copies of to the GP, so I won't have all the ranges).

Jan 2012
TSH: 1.0 mu/L (Ref: 0.5 - 3.5)

July 2012
TSH: 0.331 mu/L (Different lab, ref: 0.45 - 4.5)
Free T4: 14.08 (Ref: 10.00 - 23.00 pmol/L)

Sept 2012
TSH: 0.9 mu/L (Ref: 0.5 - 3.5)

Oct 2012
TSH: 0.85 (Ref: 0.40 - 4.00)
Free Thyroxine: 16 (Ref 10.00 - 20.00 pmol/L)
Free T3: 5.3 (Ref: 2.8 - 6.8 pmol/L)
RT3: 425 (Ref: 170 - 450 pmol/L)
Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase: 29 (Ref: < 60 U/ml)
Urine total Iodine: 106 ug/L (Ref: >100 is not deficient, so I'm just over)
Serum Cortisol: 630 (Ref: 190 - 610 nmol/L)

----

I just don't know where to do from here. Do I feel I have a thyroid disorder? Symptomatically, I think it fits. I just don't know how I can go from one infection or deficiency to another, without it all being connected. They looked at my body's immune response, and they're happy with it. Then again, they're also happy with my thyroid results.

Sorry this was so long.

Any input or suggests or ANYTHING would be amazing. I'm desperate.

Last edited by lowkt; 10-17-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
(female)

lowkt HB User
Re: Fed up 20 year old who's desperate for some help

A quick update:

Yesterday I had to go get a CT scan done of my tonsils, as I have reoccurring tonsillitis despite having them removed. When they look at the neck, they do a full scan, inclusive of the thyroid. The report states that everything looks normal (including my tonsils), so there are no obvious lumps or bumps, which is great.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

Corgigirl83 HB User
Re: Fed up 20 year old who's desperate for some help

I cant speak on the labs ans stuff, I just joined the group on Friday bc my TSH came back high, the my Total T4 ( which I now know if worthless) was borderline high, so I have been referred to an Endo dr. next week. I just wanted to send my support, I have been through endometerosis myself, I am 29 now and take birth control every day, 365, bc I bleed so much I become anemic, I was also very Vitamin D deficient, the normal levels are something like 35 + and mine was at 12, and I take a B-Complex everyday, so I know how you are feeling. Weight gain too, I went from 100 lbs to 155 lbs,now down to 145 lbs. I take my antidepresents for Migraines, but if I don't take them, I am clinically depressed because of my pain. ( : ) ) I just wanted to lend a shoulder, I feel your pain. You are not alone with all these issues... mine all started about the time I was 15 when they suspected Mono, never got a + on the test, I think it was Mono or Lyme Disease, and that is when everything went down hill. Its hard to be as young as us and have so many issues.

Reply Reply

Tags
help for thyroid, thyroid blood tests, weight gain